Camden Depot: How Orioles Writers Would Vote on the 2014 HOF Ballot
http://camdendepot.b...te-on-2014.html

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

Agree with Moroz about the rules of selecting 10 to be dumb/limiting; but those are the rules. Think his ballot should have been removed.

#3 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

Agree with Moroz about the rules of selecting 10 to be dumb/limiting; but those are the rules. Think his ballot should have been removed.

It is basically just a reason for a talking point.

I have not crunched the numbers, but I don't think it really impacts anything in the mock vote.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

It is basically just a reason for a talking point.

I have not crunched the numbers, but I don't think it really impacts anything in the mock vote.

Didn't think it should be removed because it impacts the vote, thought it should be removed because it is a cop out to the parameters of the existing thought exercise.

OTOH, I do agree with Dan's general point... and also understand keeping it in as a discussion point. Certainly fair enough.

Thanks for including us. I suspect the BBWAA will be providing us with official ballots shortly lol.

• JeffLong likes this

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:06 AM

Tony has too much hate for Moose.  LOL

The 10 player rule sucks...easily more than 10 deserving guys.

For that reason, I think I leave Maddux and Glavine off of my ballot...Not because they aren't HOFers...obviously, they are and they would get in with or without my vote.

I think, because you have the 10 player rule, you need to keep guys on the ballot that should be...Trammel, Moose, Schilling and Raines being 4 of the primary names there. 

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:32 AM

Agreed on Moroz ballot being removed. He's just taking the easy way out there. If he really wants to make a point -- I'd say this, send a blank ballot. Even that I wouldn't like, but it's better than the fraction thing. And it shouldn't have counted like you said. If a real Cooperstown voter did that, I doubt it would count.

@levineps

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

Tony has too much hate for Moose.  LOL

The 10 player rule sucks...easily more than 10 deserving guys.

For that reason, I think I leave Maddux and Glavine off of my ballot...Not because they aren't HOFers...obviously, they are and they would get in with or without my vote.

I think, because you have the 10 player rule, you need to keep guys on the ballot that should be...Trammel, Moose, Schilling and Raines being 4 of the primary names there. 

Disagree with your logic here, you don't keep more deserving players off the ballot to ensure that less deserving players get 5% of the vote.

@levineps

#8 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

I'm not sure what I dislike most about Tony's ballot- lumping Bagwell in with Bonds and Clemens and saying he'll never get a vote, giving votes to Glavine and Schilling but not Moose, withholding votes on players because they aren't "first ballot," or simply the fact that he left off a few players while waiting for "a down year" to decide their fate (Raines, Piazza, Biggio.) Huh?

• mweb08 likes this

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

Disagree with your logic here, you don't keep more deserving players off the ballot to ensure that less deserving players get 5% of the vote.

Why not?  More deserving or less deserving is meaningless.

Are you a HOFer or not?  If you are, it doesn't matter if you are a better HOFer than another.  All that matters is that you are a HOFer.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:53 AM

I'm not sure what I dislike most about Tony's ballot- lumping Bagwell in with Bonds and Clemens and saying he'll never get a vote, giving votes to Glavine and Schilling but not Moose, withholding votes on players because they aren't "first ballot," or simply the fact that he left off a few players while waiting for "a down year" to decide their fate (Raines, Piazza, Biggio.) Huh?

Tony has always had that issue with Bagwell.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Are you a HOFer or not?  If you are, it doesn't matter if you are a better HOFer than another.  All that matters is that you are a HOFer.

Just to expand on this....More deserving vs less deserving matters when you are at the bottom and trying to decide between player X and player Y.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

The rules being what they are, I think every voter should be voting for the 10 most deserving candidates.

@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Not a fan of "activist" voters. Just vote simply based on the criteria presented.

@levineps

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

The rules being what they are, I think every voter should be voting for the 10 most deserving candidates.

And because the rules are what they are, there is nothing wrong with saying that I want to make sure player X stays on the ballot, even if that means player Y doesn't get my vote, despite them being a sure fire HOFer...Thats just how it goes.

Its why the 10 player limit and 5% rule both suck.  Get rid of one of them and you don't have this issue.

• mweb08 likes this

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

It's a tie between them all for being incredibly stupid IMO.

I recall Tony's absurd take on Bagwell and I got into it with him about that.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:22 PM

ESPN writers votes...They sucked:

http://espn.go.com/m...all-fame-ballot

Can't believe Timmy K wasn't smart enough to vote Moose.

#17 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Reminds me of this.

http://hardballtalk....ame-electorate/

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

Jon, we just had David Schoenfield on Lance's show.... he said he's concerned Mussina won't get 5%.

#19 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Other than Morris, I think Tim's ballot was fine.

@DJ_McCann

#20 Jon Shepherd

Jon Shepherd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

Jon, we just had David Schoenfield on Lance's show.... he said he's concerned Mussina won't get 5%.

He is wrong.

Mussina will be carried over to next year.  He has already hit the minimum mark required for 5%.  If the same number of voters vote this year as they did last year, he needs 28 votes to be carried over.  He currently has 42 public votes.  I doubt voters have increased from 568 to 841.

• BSLChrisStoner and JeffLong like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=