492 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

CSN Baltimore: http://www.csnbaltim...990&feedID=6704

On FanGraphs (http://www.fangraphs...ightest-future/), David Golebiewski recently asked which 2011 rookie pitcher had the brightest future. About Britton he stated:

"Case For: Britton was labeled a left-handed Brandon Webb in the minors, using his sinker to produce huge ground ball totals. He wasn’t a total worm burner as a rookie, but his 52.8 GB% was well above-average. Britton also managed to whiff 7.5 batters per nine innings in the upper minors.

Case Against: His control (3.62 BB/9) isn’t always sharp. And, like Alvarez, Britton’s reliance upon his fastball (70.6%) could come at the expense of Ks. His slider is considered a plus pitch and a bat misser, but he threw it only 12 percent of the time in 2011."

Based on this previous FanGraphs interview with Britton (http://www.fangraphs...le-in-progress/), I think Britton has a good understanding of where his game has to improve.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#2 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Used to think Britton's ceiling was a No. 2 pitcher in the AL East. Now, I'm not so confident with that...I think he's probably more of a No. 3 starter when is all said and done (which there's nothing wrong with). If he misses a few more bats and keeps the groundball rates high (a key pitching in Camden), then I think he's a fringe first division starter by 2013, which there's a ton of value in given his cost-controlled salaries for the next six years. Looking forward to watching Britton pitch in '12.
@BSLLukeJackson

#3 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

With Britton it is simple. Can he command his 2 seam fastball in the zone without losing movement? If he can then his other pitches are strong enough that he can be a #2 or even a #1 in the AL East.

If he can't then he will struggle, as ML hitters will lay off the sinker in the dirt.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

WNST / Luke Jones: http://wnst.net/word...up-for-orioles/

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

Baltimore Sports and Life: "There was been a lot to like about Britton’s rookie season, especially with how he responded to the adversity of July. Overall he finished 11-11, with a 4.61 era. In his 154.1 ip, he allowed 162 hits, 12 homers, 62 bb’s, with 97 k’s. His OPS against was .735, and he had a G/F ratio of 1.24. Like Arrieta, his fastball command needs to improve. What are your current thoughts on him?”

Marc Normandin / SB Nation: “I like Britton’s potential still; it’s not his fault his rookie campaign came in the AL East, where the Red Sox and Yankees hit him very hard over the course of the year. The fact he’s got groundball tendencies on his side will be a good thing in the long run."

Jason Parks / Baseball Prospectus: "I think Britton is going to be fine; overcoming and adjusting to failure is paramount to player development."

David Schoenfield / ESPN:“I like Britton very much."

DJ Short / NBC Sports Hardball Talk: “Britton is the biggest bright spot here. He was never as good as his numbers looked when he started last season 5-1, but his solid ground ball rate (52.8) gives him a chance to succeed in the AL East.”

Dan Szymborski / BBTF / ESPN: “I still think Britton needs another pitch to be a really solid starter, I suspect he’s going to end up as a reliever in the long run. A good one, though."

Jonathan Mitchell / MLB Dirt / ESPN Sweet Spot: "Britton also has #2 potential and showed it last year but he relies on his defense to get outs and the defense behind him just isn’t very good."

Matt Klaassen / FanGraphs: "Britton may not have the upside of Matusz, but he’s the “safest” of these three (Matusz, Arrieta) going into 2012, I have the most confidence in his ability to at least have a non-horrible walk rate.”

David Pinto / Baseball Musings / Baseball Analytics: "They (Britton, Arrieta, Matusz) are rather low K, high walk pitchers. They’re not terrible in either category, but they are not great either. That’s a problem. If strikeouts are low, walks need to be low, too, so that the extra hits from extra balls in play won’t hurt as much. If walks are high, then strikeouts need to be high to prevent hits. These three pitchers each need to become great at one of those.”

Gary Armida / Baseball Digest: “I love Britton’s tenacity on the mound. His stuff translates into being the most consistent of the three. He was the only one to pitch better than his ERA suggests. His 4.00 FIP (Fielding Independent Percentage) actually shows he was hurt a bit by the Orioles’ defense. My one caution with him is that his strikeouts (5.4 K/9) are dangerously close to being a serious red flag. Pitchers who strike out five or less batters per nine innings don’t project well for the long term. Add in his elevated walk total, and you have some legitimate worries.”

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

MASN's Kubakto has mentioned several times that he does not believe Britton is a lock to make the rotation.

My guess is that Roch is passing on what he has been told, essentially that Britton will have to earn his position in camp. That is fair enough, but Britton not coming North would be the biggest surprise for Spring to me. He would have to have horrific (not just results, but mechanics etc.) for me to not see him in an Orioles uniform to begin the year.

Your thoughts?

What are you projecting from him in '12?

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

@Jim_Duquette on Twitter:
"Hearing some bad news with #Orioles Britton and his shoulder. Injury from last year is still lingering. Workload will be limited in ST. Britton's health comes on the heals of Markakis' news in December that he needed surgery for a sports hernia. Both will be a question mark This spring. I would think that it would hurt Britton's chances of being ready to pitch for Opening Day, injury lingering this long needs proper rest and treatment. New PT coach Chris Correnti is already busy."

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:59 AM

@Jim_Duquette on Twitter:
"Hearing some bad news with #Orioles Britton and his shoulder. Injury from last year is still lingering. Workload will be limited in ST. Britton's health comes on the heals of Markakis' news in December that he needed surgery for a sports hernia. Both will be a question mark This spring. I would think that it would hurt Britton's chances of being ready to pitch for Opening Day, injury lingering this long needs proper rest and treatment. New PT coach Chris Correnti is already busy."

Of course, why wouldn't it be. :evil:

#9 dandrews

dandrews
  • Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

I shouldn't feel this way, but automatically this is a wasted year this season. He's going to pull a Matusz.
@dandrews66

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

Shoulder injury. Awesome. Those always heal up great!

I'm actually starting to think that the best thing for the Orioles, once Angelos dies or sells, might be to fire every single member of the organization and start completely from scratch. Every coach, every executive, every trainer, every scout. Get rid of as many of the MLB players as you can too.

The combination of just pure ineptness in terms of baseball acumen and general snakebitten-ness in terms of bad breaks and injuries is unfathomable. You have to be trying to be this bad.

#11 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

Was there ever any doubt?
@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#12 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:48 AM

This is gonna be like Brian Matusz all over again.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

Ugghhh. So rarely do the O's have good fortune on their side.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Can we get him an MRI...NOW?!

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:55 AM

Can we get him an MRI...NOW?!

An MRI would cost like $1500. Way better to just let him rest and see how he feels later.

We could better use that $1500 to pay for a first class upgrade during one of our scout's flights to New Zealand, maybe an extra checked bag or two as well.

#16 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Seriously, how could this still be lingering from July?

Was he hiding the injury after he came off the DL? Were the Orioles foolish in bringing him back? Did he re-injure it this offseason?

Hard to believe that one of those things isn't the case here.

BTW, this pretty much guarantees that he will not be in the OD rotation.

He probably starts the year in extended ST, on the 15 day DL....assuming he doesn't have something major wrong with him.

Either way, i wouldn't expect much from him before mid May at the earliest.

#17 Slappy

Slappy
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Roch just posted an official statement from Duquette:

http://www.masnsport...ch-britton.html

Nothing too enlightening but if he's throwing I guess it can't be that bad. At least not yet.
The world's most concise Baltimore Orioles Twitter feed - @OneWordBird

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:47 PM

Britt just told me on Twitter that Britton has had an MRI this offseason..no structural damage.

She will have more info coming up on her blog.

#19 dmwcg

dmwcg
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

from http://www.masnsport...i-negative.html

Orioles pitcher Zach Britton said he's been dealing with inflammation in his left shoulder since the middle of December, but an MRI didn't reveal any structural damage and he isn't concerned about his availability for the April 6 opener if he makes the team.

Jim Duquette was quite critical of the O's medical team for letting this go so long, yet another situation similar to Markakis' abdominal issues. He really started a nice little rant. He also postulated, with a bit of exasperated sarcasm, that when DD said Britton's "progression would be starting this Friday," he could've meant that he'd be starting out just tossing 20 feet on flat ground...

Roch, in the same blog entry above, states that Britton will be throwing from 90 feet Thursday and then will go again on Saturday if his shoulder responds well. Britton says that the discomfort is preventing him from being comfortable getting into the proper slot.

As for the O's medical team, Britton was actually being seen by the Rangers' physicians and working with them for physical therapy (guessing here that he wanted to remain in Texas with his new bride). I don't know what to make of that. They do say that Wilckens (our guy) saw him as well, but who was making the decisions on what to do during the offseason? That's unclear to me.

Regardless, Britton says it's just inflammation and has nothing to do with strength, so he sees no reason that he won't be able to compete for a spot. I find that to be less than reassuring and a bit overoptimistic.

Good thing we've got deep depth now.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

I just hope Britton is responsible about this and fully discloses any further discomfort. I know he's in a predicament with all of this mediocre depth that's been added to the fold. Hopefully that doesn't influence Britton to make the wrong decision here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=