• Please log in to reply
447 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

CSN Baltimore: Where does Ravens - Patriots rate on intensity scale?
http://www.csnbaltim...intensity-scale

#2 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

I have to say...I'm 100% ready for this freaking game.  It's gonna be a good one.  The Ravens may not have been pretty to watch this year, but they are exciting that's for sure.

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Patriots announce that WR Kenbrell Thompkins and OT Nate Solder will not play tomorrow against #Ravens.

@BSLMikeRandall

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:06 AM

Just don't take them too lightly because of no Gronk, no solder, no Thompkins, etc...

This is a dangerous team and you know they would love nothing more than to beat us.

I like our chances a lot today but with the up and down nature of this team this year, who knows what we will get.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

NE rarely loses 2 games in a row.

#6 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

NE rarely loses 2 games in a row.

So I'm not saying this stat is wrong, but NE isn't the same team right now as they were the last 5 years talent wise.  I just don't think it holds as much water as in past years.

#7 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

So I'm not saying this stat is wrong, but NE isn't the same team right now as they were the last 5 years talent wise.  I just don't think it holds as much water as in past years.

Don't disagree...but we are on a short week. They still have Brady, Belichick still had a week to prepare, etc....

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Don't disagree...but we are on a short week. They still have Brady, Belichick still had a week to prepare, etc....

Yeah, definitely don't take them lightly, but at home... last home game of the year... I don't see that happening.

Also, with NE's division, it's no wonder they barely lose 2 in a row. 

#9 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

You know I thought about that.  Research vs. narrative is a great thing.  I admit sample sizes are stupid small which makes this analysis kind of pointless in general, but these are the teams played after losses and the record of both teams after the last 4 years.

Patriots:

2013:  NO (W), Miami (W), Denver (W)

2012:  Ravens (L), Jets (W), Jacksonville (W)

2011:  NYG (L), Oak (W), Buffalo (W)

2010:  Pit (W), Buffalo (W)

Ravens:

2013:  Cle (W), Miami (W), Pitt (L), Cle (L), NYJ (W)

2012:  NEP (W), Cle (W), Was (L), Denver (L), Colts (W)

2011:  StL (W), Ari (W), Cinci (W), Cle (W)

2010:  Cle (W), Buf (W), Car (W), Houston (W)

So in summary the Ravens are 14-4 after losses the last 4 years (.777).  The Pats are 9-2 (.818).  They don't lose as much, but they've lost back to back games in 11/12 and if they lost tonight that would make 3 straight years and pretty much render this point irrelevant from a statistical stand point IMO.  In fact if the Ravens win today I think that would give the Ravens a better winning percentage after a loss than the Pats over the past 4 years (Pats would fall to .750).  

#10 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

Belichick's strength was always able to build a gameplan that neutralized your best offensive weapon.

The thing in recent years is that the Pats simply don't gave the horses on defense to take anything away. The only thing they really have is the Patriots "mystique" but we're not impressed or affected by that.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#11 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:06 PM

I just saw Michael Strahan picked NE as an upset this week?  Good lord are we in trouble.

@fuzydunlop

#12 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

The Ravens can be eliminated today, yes?

@fuzydunlop

#13 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:51 PM

No.  

#14 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

They really need a SD loss at some point and a Miami loss at some point to lose and stay alive I believe.  If both of those things happen and we win one of the last two, we'll also clinch...

#15 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Belichick's strength was always able to build a gameplan that neutralized your best offensive weapon.

The thing in recent years is that the Pats simply don't gave the horses on defense to take anything away. The only thing they really have is the Patriots "mystique" but we're not impressed or affected by that.

Not taking away from Belichick's resume and accomplishments but I've felt that his preparation is an overplayed narrative. He always takes away your best weapon. Wouldn't most smart coaches do that as well? 

Plus I'd note that the AFC East hasn't offered much resistance over the past decade plus.

I agree that the old mystique is long gone. Man for Man the Ravens are better but you must beat the Pats system. You can't ever look past them.

#16 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Not taking away from Belichick's resume and accomplishments but I've felt that his preparation is an overplayed narrative. He always takes away your best weapon. Wouldn't most smart coaches do that as well? 

Plus I'd note that the AFC East hasn't offered much resistance over the past decade plus.

I agree that the old mystique is long gone. Man for Man the Ravens are better but you must beat the Pats system. You can't ever look past them.

I always thought it was funny when the talking heads would go on and on about how Belichick will "take away what you do best". I think that's what every defensive coach looks to do.

Bottom line, take care of the football and out physical them and we win.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#17 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

This game is all about Flacco's knee. If he is normal we have a great shot of winning. I think we'll know real quickly if he isn't right. If not, we have almost no chance

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

I haven't paid too much attention to the tie-break scenarios.  What happens in a 3-way 9-7 tie between Baltimore, SD, and Miami?  How about just a two-way tie with Baltimore and SD?  I know we've got the two-way tie-breaker over Miami.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

Miami wins 3 way tie. It's why the chiefs loss today hurts . They locked themselves into the 5 seed and have no incentive to play chargers next week

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,068 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

This game is all about Flacco's knee. If he is normal we have a great shot of winning. I think we'll know real quickly if he isn't right. If not, we have almost no chance

I think we still have a real shot at winning if Flacco's knee prevents him from moving around but he can still throw.  Obviously far better if Flacco is close to 100%, but his arm alone is probably enough to win.  That's trusting him to get rid of the ball safely whenever the line screws the pooch, rather than buying time and trying to make plays like he has been doing a lot this year. 

If he's immobile and not able to throw very well, then I think we'll be in trouble unelss we're magically able to run the ball.  And with this line, being able to run the ball would seem pretty damn miraculous, even against the Pats weak run defense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=