#21 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:15 AM

I've really enjoyed Atlantic Lager, very good. I have a friend who is the finance manager at Volt, and she turned me on to Backyard Ale - it's great stuff.

I'd highly recommend touring their brewery to those who haven't done it. It's in Frederick, and is a really good time - they take care of you, if you know what I'm saying. I haven't done it in a few years, so I'm probably going to try and do that soon.

Happy ending?

:D

@AdamWolff

#22 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Currently drinking Heavy Seas: Dubbel Cannon.... everything they make is awesome, can't wait to get down to Baltimore and tour the brewery someday, has anyone done this?

Used to do their tour all the time when it was free and you could get as many samples as you wanted. Now they charge 5 bucks for the tour and they give you 5 or 6 drink tokens. Still a good deal, but not as fun as it used to be. Their tours have gotten quite popular and are almost always very crowded. A friend of mine is brewer for the company so I can pretty much go over there for a "tour" whenever he's working.

I still love Clipper City Brewing Company (still their name, even though their beers are Heavy Seas) but for me now my favorite Maryland Brewery is Evolution. Clipper City is too worried about making as much beer as possible right now where as EVO is expanding slow and steady.

I've seen some posters mention IPA's. I used to like these and Double IPA's alot more but I drink them less often these days. To me it seems like too many breweries are just worried about making the hoppiest beer possible.

As far as Summer Beers go I won't list any specific beers, but some of the styles that I enjoy more in the summer are Hefeweizen's, Pale Ales, Wheat's, ESB's and Weizenbock's.

I know some people will only drink certain beers in certain seasons, but I'm not one of them. If it tastes good I'm going to drink it.

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,543 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:37 AM

I want to check out the Heavy Seas Ale House on Central St in Harbor East but the prices are expensive for food and I can buy their beer much cheaper in liquor stores. I don't see that place surviving.

I had some Brooklyn Summer Ale last week...great summer beer.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

I still drink mostly IPA's in the summer.

I'll go with some Sierra Nevada Pale and Summer Ale along with their Kellerweis, some Sam Summer, and some other summer and wheat beers too.

#25 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Had a Southern Tier 2X IPA last night.

Oh my, this is a wonderful beer. Perfect IPA in my opinion. Totally recommend everyone picking it up. 8.25 ABV also.

#26 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Had a Southern Tier 2X IPA last night.

Oh my, this is a wonderful beer. Perfect IPA in my opinion. Totally recommend everyone picking it up. 8.25 ABV also.

Are you more likely to try a beer if it has a higher abv?

#27 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:26 PM

Are you more likely to try a beer if it has a higher abv?

honestly, yes. I don't know why, but I feel like I'm getting more "bang for the buck".

But I enjoy lesser ABV beers as well

#28 Bosibus

Bosibus
  • Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

One of my best friends owns a surf shop in the back of Burley Oak Brewery in Berlin. Burley Oak is a decent spot and they are starting to be tapped into many bars in OC. If you guys go down, def check out Burley Oak. It not as good as Evo yet but they are putting out some good beers recently.

http://burleyoak.com... ... N=62909152
http://www.willeysurfboards.com/

#29 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,721 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:50 PM

honestly, yes. I don't know why, but I feel like I'm getting more "bang for the buck".

When I was first getting into craft beers I had that same mentality. At this point though I don't equate bigger (abv) to being better. Some of my favorite beers are high abv, but I'm more into seesion beers (4-6%) now. I like being able to drink several at a time and not be on my butt because of it.

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,458 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

But I enjoy lesser ABV beers as well

That's why Dogfish Head's 90-Minute IPA is quickly becoming one of my favorites. In addition to its deliciousness, it gets the job done a lot quicker and I don't feel nearly as full after a night if drinking (very good) beer.

Happy ending?

:D

LOL, if it were THAT I was talking about, It wouldn't have taken me three years to get back there! ;)

#31 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

We've had New Belgium stuff out and about for quite awhile here in the Fredericksburg area; maybe that's part of the Asheville effect. I do think it's been on the increase lately, so if anyone is cruising through this area at any time, you should be able to find it. Best places to find various brews for pickup around here are Total Wine & More and Wegmans.

#32 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,349 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:55 PM

There was a great Stone Tap Takeover in DC a couple weekends ago at the Bier Baron.

I had the following:

Ruination 10th Anniversary
15th Anniversary Imperial Black IPA
Sublimely Self Righteous Double Dry Hopped with Simcoe Hops
Ruination Double Dry Hopped with Galaxy and Centennial Hops
Stone IPA Double Dry Hopped with Motueka Hops
Cali Belgique IPA

For a hop lover like myself, this was quite epic!

They also had a good selection of porters and other styles.

Stone is right there with Russian River among my favorite breweries.

#33 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Stone is great. I get a few of their beers occasionally.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I must be in the wrong thread, not a beer drinker at all, I'll have one at the bars but it's not exactly one of my hobbies. Hope you don't think less of me.
@levineps

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,360 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

The lineup for the 25th Oregon Brewers Festival is out!

http://www.oregonbre...ex2.php?p=beers

Looking forward to trying the Huckleberry Hound IPA.

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,458 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

I must be in the wrong thread, not a beer drinker at all, I'll have one at the bars but it's not exactly one of my hobbies. Hope you don't think less of me.

Not at all! At least you're not one of those pretender try hards - like an acquaintance of mine who think's he's a big beer drinker and downloaded the UnTappd app on his phone which lets him "check in" to a beer every time he drinks. All of his entries are Bud Light or Corona's at Buffalo Wild Wings.

#37 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,543 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

I've really enjoyed Atlantic Lager, very good. I have a friend who is the finance manager at Volt, and she turned me on to Backyard Ale - it's great stuff.

I'd highly recommend touring their brewery to those who haven't done it. It's in Frederick, and is a really good time - they take care of you, if you know what I'm saying. I haven't done it in a few years, so I'm probably going to try and do that soon.

I emailed someone there after I had a bad batch of beer, and they wrote me back and invited me in to taste the beer to see what went wrong. Beer was over carbonated, so he gave me a free 6 pack of the new Wildeman, which I didn't like at first but it grew on me. Any way, most places would have never done that so FD gets a lot of points for that. They have also embraced Frederick since relocating so it is cool to say they are located in my backyard.

And I will second their tours. They take care of you.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#38 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

Not at all! At least you're not one of those pretender try hards - like an acquaintance of mine who think's he's a big beer drinker and downloaded the UnTappd app on his phone which lets him "check in" to a beer every time he drinks. All of his entries are Bud Light or Corona's at Buffalo Wild Wings.

I really should get that just to see what I drink a lot. I have a feeling it would mostly be a ton of IPA's.

Just off the top of my head the last 5 beers I've gotten are

Southern Tier 2X IPA
Flying Dog Raging Bitch IPA
Stone IPA
Flying Dog Oyster Stout
Dogfish Head Chicory Stout

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,458 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I really should get that just to see what I drink a lot. I have a feeling it would mostly be a ton of IPA's.

Just off the top of my head the last 5 beers I've gotten are

Southern Tier 2X IPA
Flying Dog Raging Bitch IPA
Stone IPA
Flying Doing Oyster Stout
Dogfish Head Chicory Stout

It's a good app, I love it.

That's a nice list. Good stuff.

#40 AgentOrange

AgentOrange
  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

Love all the beer talk. I am in close with the Flying Dog Brewery, so I am going to be biased to them right now. They are really customer focused and care what type of feedback they are getting from the everyday drinkers.

Some of the beers I have seen on the thread that I really enjoy are the following:

Southern Tier DIPA
eVo lot 3/6
Flying Dog Pearl Necklace

Just to name a few.

I am a little worried about Heavy Seas and Evolution moving forward though. Loose Cannon just lost their head brewer. Being on the distributor side, I see they are having a lot of stock issues getting the beer out to market, as well as the beers being consistant. I have heard rumblings that they changed the hop schedule on the Loose Cannon one time because they didn't have the right inventory in stock. If that is true, shame on them. One of the reasons Flying Dog is so successful is because they have a huge QA department and the head brewer, Matt Brophy, always is looking for his beers to be consistant. Evolution just lost one of their brewers as he goes to start his own brewery in Vermont. Even though Evolution still has their head brewer, a lot of people in the industry were impressed with Joe Lemnah and his abilty and creativity. Just something to keep an eye on moving forward with both breweries. I am still a big fan of both.

If you guys use twitter and are talking about beer from this state, make sure you use the hashtag #MDBeer

Also, had the Lagunitas Imperial Red last night on tap this time. A huge glass of fresh tasting beer right there. Very impressed.
  • KRL224 likes this
@lmaciolek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=