#41 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

Keith Law ranked the Orioles farm system tenth in MLB. Rays are twenty-third.

Is Law one of the guys who is super high on Harvey?  I can definitely see ranking the O's that high if you think we've got a top-10 (Bundy), top-20 (Gausman), and top-30 (Harvey) starting pitching prospect.  Even without much depth behind the next couple guys like Rodriguez and Schoop, if you are that high on the pitchers, the organization will be ranked pretty highly even if the depth is lacking.

Not sure how much he likes Harvey, but I know he's a big fan of Rodriguez.

#42 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

Big fan of Schoop also. I imagine Harvey is ranked higher than Schoop but wouldn't be surprised to see Rodriguez beat him.

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

He hates the O's but says they have the 10th best farm system (ESPN Insider)

10. Baltimore Orioles

Very top-heavy, but a strong front five, all on the top 100, due in no small part to a string of four straight solid first-round picks since the Matt Hobgood fiasco. (Hobgood, the No. 5 overall pick in the 2009 draft, has a 5.05 ERA in his career and hasn't made it past Class A.)

Their depth is improving, though it's still behind where it'll need to be to keep the club competitive in the AL East, and more investment in intriguing international amateurs like Olelky Peralta will help bolster the system.

@levineps

#44 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

Not sure how much he likes Harvey, but I know he's a big fan of Rodriguez.

Apparently he likes Harvey a lot. My goodness.

Ranked:

Gausman #20

Bundy #31

Harvey #38!!!

E-Rod #43!!

Schoop #86

Very surprised on the Harvey and E-Rod rankings.

#45 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

Nice. Hopefully Keith is not being overly optimistic.

#46 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

I don't think he is, remember he hates the Orioles! :lol:

On a serious note, I noticed he tends to go closer to the floor with prospects rather than the ceiling since he knows that most don't live up to potential.

@levineps

#47 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

Keith falls in love with some prospects and ranks them really high on a whim. He's not afraid to take a chance (primarily because so many prospects fail).

#48 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Klaw has released his farm system rankings and top 100.

He ranked the O's farm system 10th overall in MLB, noting that it's very top heavy.

Prospects in the Top 100:

23. Gausman

31. Bundy

38. Harvey

43. Rodriguez

86. Schoop

Klaw will be chatting about his top 100 today here.

@JeffLongBP

#49 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Man, KG's ineffectiveness and Bundy's injury really hurt their stock. For Bundy to be just 12 spots above E-Rod is crazy talk... but of course the other side to that is Law is very high on ERod compared to some others.

#50 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Nice thing is all of those guys except for Harvey could be helping out this season.  I don't think we'll getany particularly huge boosts from any of these guys, Gausman is the only one with a real shot, IMO, but it's nice to have some talented guys near the major leagues. 

Hopefully we get better luck with these guys than our last couple sets of major prospects.  Machado sort of cancels out a lot of the disappointments, but we still haven't really hit it huge on very many of the top guys in recent seasons.

#51 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Man, KG's ineffectiveness and Bundy's injury really hurt their stock. For Bundy to be just 12 spots above E-Rod is crazy talk... but of course the other side to that is Law is very high on ERod compared to some others.

Well Law notes "When healthy, he was the best pitching prospect in baseball, boasting a fastball up to 99 mph, a wipeout cutter that he could command like a 10-year veteran, a hard curveball and a developing changeup."

Last year he was ranked third. I'd bet that his ranking is solely based on the fact that he missed all of last season, and will miss most of this coming season due to surgery. If he bounces back and throws well after coming back, he'll be a top 5 prospect again.

@JeffLongBP

#52 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

Baseball America was optimistic with our pitching prospects the last go around.

Britton should have been ranked 50 spots higher. Arrieta probably shouldn't have been ranked. Matusz and Tillman were legit. They hit on one and missed on the other (partly due to injury). Can't complain about that.

The current crop of prospects is much higher quality than the previous one.

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

Britton should have been ranked 50 spots higher. Arrieta probably shouldn't have been ranked. Matusz and Tillman were legit. They hit on one and missed on the other (partly due to injury). Can't complain about that.

We've been hearing the last line since we had Kurt Ainsworth waiting to make his debut.

I think the last crop was very highly rated, and deservedly so.  Tillman and Matusz were absolute stud prospects.  Arrieta was what, top 50ish, he had a pretty solid resume as well, but if you wanna say he should have been lower I won't argue.  I also was a huge fan of Britton until his injury, and would agree he should have been ranked above Arrieta.

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

I believe Britton was 10th on a BA mid-season ranking once. Arrieta absolutely should have been ranked.

#55 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:37 PM

We've been hearing the last line since we had

And it's always been true. That last set of prospects was the first good set we've had in awhile... but it wasn't that great. The ones before that were pretty much junk. Camden Depot did an article about this some time ago.

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:40 PM

And it's always been true. That last set of prospects was the first good set we've had in awhile... but it wasn't that great. The ones before that were pretty much junk. Camden Depot did an article about this some time ago.

http://www.baltimore...he-current-one/

• Matt_P likes this

#57 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Klaw's Top 10 O's Prospects:

1. Gausman (23)
  2. Bundy (31)
  3. Harvey (38)
  4. E-Rod (43)
  5. Schoop (86)
  6. Wright
  7. Sisco
  8. Hart
  9. Marin
  10. Berry

Sleeper

Olelky Peralta was a free agent signed out of the Dominican Republic for $325,000, and blew scouts away in instructional league, hitting 95 mph with his fastball, showing good rotation on a curveball and demonstrating the ability to throw his fastball for strikes. Some teams thought Peralta was ineligible to sign until July, which may be why his bonus was a little lower -- but credit the Orioles for jumping on the opportunity to land a projectable 6-foot-5 right-hander with an electric arm.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeffLongBP

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

MASN: Keith Law on O's prospects
http://www.masnsport...-prospects.html

Law also discusses his Burnett in this piece... there is a thread on the O's board for that.

#59 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:31 PM

Projecting Law's top 100

http://insider.espn....0-prospects-mlb

Dave Szymborski uses his projection system ZIPs to see how Law's Top 100 may do in the majors. Interesting to see if it comes true. He says the following about Oriole players:

Jonathan Schoop, 2B/3B, Baltimore Orioles (ZiPS: 33 vs. Law: 86)
Despite an injury-filled year, Schoop still managed to hold his own at Triple-A at age 21. Like Wong, ZiPS doesn't see a lot of upside in Schoop, but with enough homer-upside to be Tony Batista or John Valentin in a better-case scenario.

Dylan Bundy, RHP, Baltimore Orioles (ZiPS: 74 vs. Law: 31)
While Tommy John recoveries are much more promising than surgeries to repair rotator cuffs (and ZiPS has this information built in), it's still major surgery, and ZiPS will rate him lower until he's demonstrated he's back to where he was before he started having issues. As an Orioles fan, this is one ranking I hope Law is closer on than the heat-generating cube under my desk.

The Os in the Top 100: (Note EdRod is on the list twice)

Kevin Gausman, 22 according to ZIPs and 23 according to Klaw
Jonathan Schoop 2B/3B BAL 33 and 86 respectively
Eduardo Rodriguez LHP BAL 50 and 43 respectively
Michael Ohlman C/DH BAL 55 and not ranked respectively
Hunter Harvey RHP BAL 60 and 38 respectively
Eduardo Rodriguez LHP BAL 69 and 43 respectively
Dylan Bundy RHP BAL 74 and 31 respectively

Looks like we'd have a top ten farm system according to this method.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Thanks Matt. Will be good to bring up with Dan when he's back on with Lance Friday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=