#21 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

Game means more to Marshall than MD. Plus I think they're a better team. I'd bet Marshall...

Yeah, Marshall is decent, but certainly not a better team. They play in a fairly weak conference and I'm only impressed by their win over ECU. The only reason VATech was so close was because the Hokies played awfully in that game. They have a pretty good offense, but they really haven't played anyone but VATech and ECU. Rice is also fairly good, but they got handled by them.

The Terps' defense is probably the best one the Herd have seen since VATech's. C-USA isn't exactly known for their defenses. I think there will be a good number of points scored in this game, but Maryland's team as a whole can beat Marshall. Big key will be scoring early. I think they win by 10-15, maybe 20 points. The defense gets Cole Farrand a bunch of rest to get healthy, and could very well get Jeremiah Johnson back as well. The receivers get a chance to get healthy, so they'll be deeper. C.J. Brown has been healthy for a while, but these extra weeks of practice will really help him with these young receivers. Terps are the more talented team.

@BSLZackKiesel

#22 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

As I've said, the opponent is the only big negative for the Military Bowl. Playing Marshall is really a no-win proposition, regardless of the result.

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

Game means more to Marshall than MD. Plus I think they're a better team. I'd bet Marshall...

Well we knew that going on, it always mean more to the lesser respect/known team. I don't share the view, but that's why many think MD is in a "no-win" position.

@levineps

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, Marshall is decent, but certainly not a better team. They play in a fairly weak conference and I'm only impressed by their win over ECU. The only reason VATech was so close was because the Hokies played awfully in that game. They have a pretty good offense, but they really haven't played anyone but VATech and ECU. Rice is also fairly good, but they got handled by them.

The Terps' defense is probably the best one the Herd have seen since VATech's. C-USA isn't exactly known for their defenses. I think there will be a good number of points scored in this game, but Maryland's team as a whole can beat Marshall. Big key will be scoring early. I think they win by 10-15, maybe 20 points. The defense gets Cole Farrand a bunch of rest to get healthy, and could very well get Jeremiah Johnson back as well. The receivers get a chance to get healthy, so they'll be deeper. C.J. Brown has been healthy for a while, but these extra weeks of practice will really help him with these young receivers. Terps are the more talented team.

Just saying isn't that the reason we beat VTech, they didn't have a great day?

@levineps

#25 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:56 AM

Better team? Based on what? They literally played no one, and still lost 4 games. It would be a big upset to lose to them.

Based on the fact that the are a winning FBS school. 

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

Was just reading on WaPo....apparently all of the bowl activities are still in DC, including the team hotel. Only the game will be in Annapolis.

#27 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

First line I've seen has Marshall opening as a 3 point favorite.

@AdamWolff

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

First line I've seen has Marshall opening as a 3 point favorite.

Don't know too much about Marshall and I'm probably saying this as a Terps fan, but I'm surprised Marshall is favored. Harder to say this is a no-win game for MD now IMO.

@levineps

#29 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Don't know too much about Marshall and I'm probably saying this as a Terps fan, but I'm surprised Marshall is favored. Harder to say this is a no-win game for MD now IMO.

Marshall has a good offense with a very good QB/RB combo and an improved defense. But their ranks and stats are a bit skewed because of their weak schedule and conference. Both offenses will likely play well, and I think the difference in this game is Maryland's defense. They should be able to limit Marshall's abilities to score as long as the offense doesn't put them in bad situations.

@BSLZackKiesel

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Marshall has a good offense with a very good QB/RB combo and an improved defense. But their ranks and stats are a bit skewed because of their weak schedule and conference. Both offenses will likely play well, and I think the difference in this game is Maryland's defense. They should be able to limit Marshall's abilities to score as long as the offense doesn't put them in bad situations.

You think Marshall should be favored? (I realize that Vegas doesn't necessarily do what it *should* be)

@levineps

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

MD should be a 10 point favorite imo.

#32 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

You think Marshall should be favored? (I realize that Vegas doesn't necessarily do what it *should* be)

No. I think Maryland should be favored. But I think people are downplaying Marshall's talent. It'll be a close game, but I think the Terps should be favored by 6-10 points.

@BSLZackKiesel

#33 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

No. I think Maryland should be favored. But I think people are downplaying Marshall's talent. It'll be a close game, but I think the Terps should be favored by 6-10 points.

10 points is not all that close for a line. That would mean at least half of the money would be going to Maryland winning by more than that.

@DJ_McCann

#34 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,405 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 04:48 PM

Like I said in the Bowl Games thread, putting lines and betting on these games is really a crap shoot. In terms of outcome predictability, I'd put it somewhere in between a regular season game and a preseason NFL game.

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

I tend to think Maryland would be favored or much closer to pick'em if the game was held in the regular season in Annapolis.

@levineps

#36 ChrisGarman

ChrisGarman
  • Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

My column on Maryland accepting the invite to the Military Bowl.

"We're very excited about the opportunity that the Military Bowl presents for our student-athletes," Edsall said. "The thing that it does is some of the things that we talk about in terms of continuing the Maryland Pride. … The chance to play in our state capital just continues along the lines of what we tried to do since last spring, bringing our team to the community and state."

Read more at:

http://www.pressboxo...t-military-bowl

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@Garmelo10

#37 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

Testudo Times gave a pretty good stat today: Only 6 Maryland players started all 12 games this season. Those players were:

LG De'Onte Arnett

C Sal Conaboy

RG/RT Michael Dunn

RT/LT Ryan Doyle

SDE Quinton Jefferson

S Sean Davis

Keeping that O-Line intact with the exception of Mike Madaras has been big for the offense this season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:28 AM

MD should be a 10 point favorite imo.

Based on what. MD has to be one of the 5 worst bowl teams this year.

Can I play the line set by BSL posters instead of Vegas please.

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

Based on what. MD has to be one of the 5 worst bowl teams this year.

Can I play the line set by BSL posters instead of Vegas please.

Based on the fact that Marshall played no one. Their best game was losing in OT vs. VaTech... that is fairly impressive... but less so when they lose to Ohio, Middle Tennessee and Rice. 

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,756 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, MD is better than Marshall.  Significantly.  A loss would be embarrassing.

I agree with Chris saying that it's kind of a no-win game for Maryland.  It'll be fun if they win, but it's not anything special.  If they lose, it's another black eye, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=