709 replies to this topic

#661 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:29 PM

From September...   

Bmore Positive / WNST: After 26 faithful purple seasons, the Ravens have bullied me out of my seats and denied my media access
https://baltimorepos...y-media-access/

#662 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 December 2022 - 03:21 PM

From September...

Bmore Positive / WNST: After 26 faithful purple seasons, the Ravens have bullied me out of my seats and denied my media access

Oh my God. I tried to read this and had to stop. What exactly is his issue? This thing is paragraph after paragraph about how great he is.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#663 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 09:43 PM

Oh my God. I tried to read this and had to stop. What exactly is his issue? This thing is paragraph after paragraph about how great he is.

Jesus Christ. It took 15 minutes to get to the bottom of the scroll, only to find out it’s 7 PAGES LONG.

I’m a little curious to read someone commit career suicide though.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#664 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 10:03 PM

Jesus Christ. It took 15 minutes to get to the bottom of the scroll, only to find out it’s 7 PAGES LONG.

I’m a little curious to read someone commit career suicide though.

I was struggling to get through the page but figured I'd stick with it. Got to the bottom and saw there was 6 more and was like GTFO. I wont read it. Im sure there is some truth in what he said. Steele has pissed other people off and does seem a bit like a bully. Bottom line is Nestor has now had the two Baltimore franchise's shun him. Look inward my dude. it isnt always them.

#665 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 December 2022 - 10:16 PM

I was struggling to get through the page but figured I'd stick with it. Got to the bottom and saw there was 6 more and was like GTFO. I wont read it. Im sure there is some truth in what he said. Steele has pissed other people off and does seem a bit like a bully. Bottom line is Nestor has now had the two Baltimore franchise's shun him. Look inward my dude. it isnt always them.

He doesn’t not have a point at times. But it’s how he goes about it. Kind of like Pedro’s point about some of the journalists in Qatar. You can be right but still be wrong. One of my favorite Buck’isms.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#666 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 December 2022 - 11:17 PM

From September...   

Bmore Positive / WNST: After 26 faithful purple seasons, the Ravens have bullied me out of my seats and denied my media access

Replace "Ravens" with "Orioles" and that's pretty much a recycled article from like 20 years ago. Did Poe nail him with a super-soaker yet?

#667 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 02:14 AM

From September...

Bmore Positive / WNST: After 26 faithful purple seasons, the Ravens have bullied me out of my seats and denied my media access

TL:DR times 1,000. Repeats things over, and over, and over again.

To save everyone the trouble… he was having his cake and eating it too by watching home games in the stands from seats he paid for (in section 513, cause he made sure to mention that coincidentally about 513 times in this piece) with friends and family and then leaving to go do his press work midway through the 4th quarter. Luke Jones sits in the press box at home games, Nestor on the road.

Chad Steele took Kevin Byrne’s spot and like any new boss, may want to make changes. He decided if Nestor was going to get credentials, he was going to have to sit in the press box like everyone else on game day. IMO, not an unreasonable request. But Nestor frames this as being “thrown out of seats he pays for.” He had to choose to enjoy game day with his wife and friends, or do a job. Can’t be both.

He bucks back because he’s had it his way for 25 years. Steele revokes his access citing not enough practices attended, although other reasons could have been in play because there are two sides to every story and this is only one. None of his “friends” in the organization (Bisciotti, Cass, Harbs) came to his aid so they’re all traitors. And if fellow writers don’t speak out about this travesty, it’s because Steele will take their credentials too! Not for any other reasons at all, like not giving a damn.

Places blame on everyone from Bisciotti on down to elevator attendants. Clearly he’s never in the wrong.

Bunch of self serving “I’m the victim” BS.

I don’t know much. I’ll talk about my brief experience. Having been to a number of training camp practices for the site, and getting credentials for press access during the open practice at the stadium. I never once saw Nestor at a training camp practice. Granted, I’ve only been to about 10 over a couple years span. But Zrebiec, Hensley were at every one I was at. I believe it’s Bo Smolka with Press Box was at every one as well. Preston a few, Keith Mills a few, Coleman was never in the sun, but would appear at the end for Harbaugh and players addressing the media part. But you’d think if Nestor was doing his job, I’d see him once.

The only time I ever saw Nestor was the open practice at the stadium some 5, 6 years ago. Not in the press box where Chad Steele was in there with us, and was pleasant as far as I could tell. But you can also tell he runs a tight ship. You have to in that position, IMO. He wasn’t down on the field where the press went after practice and Harbaugh addressed the media on the center of the 50-yard-line. But I spotted him in the locker room after where we had access. Press were around different rookies, or maybe guys coming off injury. Guys not asked to come to the podium yet at camp. Asking questions, getting sound bites, taking notes. Stuff that it looks like you are there to do a job. Nestor was chatting up Joe Flacco, alone. No tape recorder, no notepad, wearing blue jeans while everyone else wore some kind of golf shorts or slacks per the Ravens dress code for press. Just like they were two buddies, hanging out.

So it adds up that Chad and Nestor would butt heads because Nestor probably can’t follow some simple directions like, don’t wear jeans, but also wants to cozy up to everyone important while Luke is his gopher actually doing the job for real.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Pedro Cerrano like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#668 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 10:47 AM

Yea I scanned the whole article and got the same gist. If he wants to be a “professional” he needs to act like one.

He’s a pretty entitled person it seems.
  • Mike in STL likes this

@bopper33

#669 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 03:38 PM

Yea I scanned the whole article and got the same gist. If he wants to be a “professional” he needs to act like one.

He’s a pretty entitled person it seems.

I don't doubt that he worked hard to build what he had, or to get the access he's gotten. He may have even built some decent relationships along the way. 

But yeah. Entitled is the right word. Everyone works hard. Everyone makes sacrifices. Everyone has a special bond with their friends and family. You're not special. The way those first two pages read it sounded like he was about to drop some major bomb. Instead it was "he doesn't like me." "He yelled at me in front of others." 

Boo-hoo.

@BSLMikeRandall

#670 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 04:53 PM

I think he's just one of those folks who is able to have a problem with a lot of people but never stop to realize that maybe the problem is himself.  I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse but I know that I am envious of those people.

#671 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2022 - 05:00 PM

I think he's just one of those folks who is able to have a problem with a lot of people but never stop to realize that maybe the problem is himself. I don't know if it's a blessing or a curse but I know that I am envious of those people.

Definitely a curse. Do not envy such a terrible thing. There are some who realize this and battle themselves constantly and don’t know a way out. But then there are some who truly could never come to understand this is the case, those people can’t be helped. Narcissism along with uber sensitivity is not a good combination. Uber sensitive, broken people can at least maybe be fixed one day.

#672 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 12 December 2022 - 05:12 PM

Obligatory Raylan...

tsmsi97kp1011.jpg?auto=webp&s=4a30434f9c

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#673 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 February 2023 - 01:32 PM

I've listened to the Terps on the radio a little bit recently.  Johnny Holiday still has a great voice and has been the voice of the Terps for so long, but I think at 85 he might not be up for Bball anymore.  Noticed several times he said one thing then immediately said something else contradicting what he just said.  I'm guessing the job is his as long as he wants it, but part of me would like to see him maybe just stick to football at this point or maybe just pregame/postgame.

#674 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 03:13 PM

KVV leaving ESPN.

(1) Kevin Van Valkenburg on Twitter: "So. A bit of personal news. After 11 years, I made the decision to part ways with ESPN when my contract ended this week. It was my decision & I stuck to it even when asked if I might reconsider. I leave with only warm feelings about the place. It changed my life. I'm so grateful." / Twitter

• Mike in STL likes this

#675 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 12:53 PM

I've listened to the Terps on the radio a little bit recently.  Johnny Holiday still has a great voice and has been the voice of the Terps for so long, but I think at 85 he might not be up for Bball anymore.  Noticed several times he said one thing then immediately said something else contradicting what he just said.  I'm guessing the job is his as long as he wants it, but part of me would like to see him maybe just stick to football at this point or maybe just pregame/postgame.

Yeah, Johnny has been slipping for some time now.  Only natural as he gets up in years.  Basketball can get so fast-paced that he struggles to keep up with the action.

I really do encourage people to listen to him and Steve Suter do football games if Steve comes back for next season.  They are a delight to listen to together.

#676 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 14 February 2023 - 12:55 PM

That's why Vin Scully was able to do baseball for so long -- the pace of the game lends itself to a more relaxed type broadcast where you can just shoot the breeze.

@bopper33

#677 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:35 AM

Tomorrow is Connolly's last day at The Athletic.

#678 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:57 AM

Tomorrow is Connolly's last day at The Athletic.

Phelan is shedding a tear.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#679 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,564 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 June 2023 - 07:09 AM

Hope he lands on his feet but doesn’t have to do any baseball analysis wherever it is…

#680 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 09:09 AM

This is more or less how I feel, too:

The O's coverage on The Athletic usually seemed a bit lacking on the day-to-day, more in-depth player/org analysis than what the newspaper beats offer. But the features and owner/MASN criticisms were solid. Less coverage is never good

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=