#621 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 March 2021 - 03:34 PM

Ken Weinman and Jason Lacanfora did a ~2-hour interview with him a day or two ago that they're gonna release in like 15-20 minute segments.

Wow, I didn't realize  it was that long of an interview.  I wonder if there will be any useful info that comes out of it or will it be more of the usual talking points we hear from the franchise.

#622 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:54 PM

PressBox: Glenn Clark: In Defense Of Orioles Play-By-Play Voice Scott Garceau

https://pressboxonli...-scott-garceau/

• russsnyder likes this

#623 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 08:25 AM

Tom Boswell announces his retirement from the Washington Post.  He was one of the last remaining members of the media who had covered the glory days of the 70's and 80's Orioles.

Thomas Boswell, on retiring from The Washington Post after 52 years - The Washington Post

#624 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:02 AM

PressBox: Glenn Clark: In Defense Of Orioles Play-By-Play Voice Scott Garceau

https://pressboxonli...-scott-garceau/

I didn't see much of a defense.

I remember when Garceau and Brooks did baseball games on WMAR.

Garceau was very average back then.

He was an average football play by play guy IMO.

Calling games from a monitor are challenging.

However, he's called out different guys that were on the base paths and his calls on fly balls are miserable.

In short, time has not been kind to an average play by play guy who has spent years away from the press box on game day.

When the best defense is that he befriended Mo Gaba, You're a special kind of bad.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#625 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 May 2021 - 10:30 AM

Garceau is great at many sports related things, play by play isn't one of him.  I don't blame him from not wanting to do sports talk radio anymore and deal with a bunch of know it all callers.  Having said that I think he would be better elsewhere.  Pregame show and postgame show would be a nice fit for him.

• Mike in STL likes this

#626 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:48 PM

Garceau is great at many sports related things, play by play isn't one of him. I don't blame him from not wanting to do sports talk radio anymore and deal with a bunch of know it all callers. Having said that I think he would be better elsewhere. Pregame show and postgame show would be a nice fit for him.

Yeah. I think pregame/postgame is a great spot for him.

#627 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 07:46 PM

Garceau is great at many sports related things, play by play isn't one of him. I don't blame him from not wanting to do sports talk radio anymore and deal with a bunch of know it all callers. Having said that I think he would be better elsewhere. Pregame show and postgame show would be a nice fit for him.

It’s pretty bad that I wished almost anyone else was on the call for Means no-no. Arnold’s radio call was like night and day between the two.
  • DuffMan likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#628 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 May 2021 - 11:43 PM

As bad as he is, I still think he’s better than Sandusky on Ravens’ radio play by play.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#629 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 08:29 AM

The Nationals have revoked permission for FP Santangelo to broadcast their games while he's being investigated for misconduct.

F.P. Santangelo accused of sexual misconduct, off Nationals broadcast - The Washington Post

#630 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 May 2021 - 01:09 PM

As bad as he is, I still think he’s better than Sandusky on Ravens’ radio play by play.

I don't know, listen to his call last night for the Squeeze play in the 8th against the Mets.

#631 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 02:39 PM

Not really sports, but Stan Stovall announced that he's retiring next year.

#632 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 31 August 2021 - 01:49 PM

Balt SunJeff Seidel, veteran Baltimore sports writer, dies

#633 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 September 2021 - 11:04 AM

Gus Garceau calling out the wrong player's name on the last play of the O's win last night.

I really hope they can get someone else in there for next season.

• BobPhelan likes this

#634 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 30 September 2021 - 08:30 AM

Gus Garceau calling out the wrong player's name on the last play of the O's win last night.

I really hope they can get someone else in there for next season.

"All of the confusion of Gary Thorne and none of the joy!"

• Mackus likes this

#635 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:03 PM

I don’t know how in the 10 seconds of 105.7 I catch between starting my car and the Bluetooth connecting so I can listen to anything else, I almost always catch Jerry Coleman being an ass.

Coleman, on the radio, called Ravens VP of communications, top PR guy, Chad Steele, “despicable”, for calling HIM out in front of the rest of the media when HE left the presser early. He said “sorry I had a story a write and some news to break.”

Idiot. You don’t think the rest of people in that room have a story to write?

He said “I wasn’t leaving early to get to the stocked buffet. Though that’s what people think.” It’s not schtick when the rest of his co-workers pick on him. He sucks.

When I’ve been able to cover training camp, Zrebiec, Hensley, even Preston, many of the local media guys are out there in the heat from start to finish. Guess who pops in for 10 minutes to catch a quote during the end of practice presser. Jerry Coleman.

I wish the Ravens would take his press pass away and the fact that tool has a job in this industry is a complete joke.
@BSLMikeRandall

#636 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:46 PM

I see he hasn’t changed a bit since I left 14 years ago and he was on 98 Rock in the morning. Still all about scoring free food….or least that was the joke amongst the rest of the morning crew, and he never denied it.

#637 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 06:48 PM

Who does he write for?

#638 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:07 PM

Who does he write for?

No one.

@BSLMikeRandall

#639 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:32 PM

I see he hasn’t changed a bit since I left 14 years ago and he was on 98 Rock in the morning. Still all about scoring free food….or least that was the joke amongst the rest of the morning crew, and he never denied it.

Long time ago I was bartending/serving at Red Robin in Owings Mills. I'd see a fair share of local celebrities. If they were by themselves I might say something given we had sports on TV. Bruce Cunningham, Ken Weinman. Awesome guys. Coleman, didn't give you the time of day. 

Couple years after that, I was looking for an internship in radio. I reached out all around town and Coleman told me to come in to meet him when he was at 1370. I asked ahead of time if a certain time worked when I got out of school, which he agreed to. I arrived on time, then he lost his mind when I showed up so close to when he's prepping to go on air (30 minutes before, but a time he agreed to). He maybe asked me a question or two while he was getting his coffee. Pretty much berated me for five minutes, tossed me a copy of the Ravens media guide for the upcoming game, said I could "take that with me," and said "In the future you might not want to meet someone in the media right before they go on air. Take care."

Nice guy.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#640 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:46 PM

Well at least he responded? Shrug. Lol. Not surprising hes a jackass

0 user(s) are reading this topic