#61 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

That was just a whole new level of ridiculousness. I would literally shake my head at that nonsense.

It is akin to a little boy seeing Santa Claus take off his fake beard in the mall parking lot on his way to the car.

WWF Wrestling used to have it's offices in Owings Mills, and they used to tape shows and promo spots there..Anyway, long story short, in the mid 80s a friend's Father got us backstage to watch some of the promo spots the guys would do (like a quick 45 second spot about a match in Columbus, Ohio, then the same guy would do one for a match in Philly, Chicago..whatever). At that time, Ricky Steamboat and Randy Savage were feuding, and it was pretty intense wrestling wise, and between takes of them talking about how they were going to tear each other to threads in every city across the country, they were high fiving each other, giving each other one liners to use, stuff like that. Totally ruined Wrestling for me, even though I knew by then it wasn't real. Oh, and George "The Animal" Steele too, his character was that of an idiot who couldn't talk, when he would greet the cameramen or whatever, he was as normal a guy as I've ever seen. He shook hands with everyone in the room. It was weird as a kid. 

Sort of relative to the Santa Claus thing. 

• Russ likes this
@beginthebegin71

#62 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:07 PM

I think it's a bit over blown too... When you call 162 ames a year (or 140 or whatever it is), that's 3 hours every night of being on-air. I just think he thinks out loud a little much, and that gets him in trouble with some of that stuff. But he is intelligent and a pro, he's just fine putting himself out there on some things that others would keep a little more guarded. It doesn't really bother me that much to be honest. Most of the time, I'm game threading it up, missing half the stuff being said anyway.

He did about 100 games before this year, maybe he did 110-115 this year? (it seemed like it was more) That's my biggest gripe with him is how he doesn't do a full schedule and it's as if he doesn't really care about it.

Like I said...just a paycheck.
@JeremyMStrain

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

The lack of Baseball knowledge is a bit overrated, he knows the game enough, but yea, sometimes the pitch details are lost on him. 

He's a pro though, that's for sure. 

No problem with him being enthusiastic for both sides...  ton of problems with the million things he gets wrong.

In-general though, you could do worse than a good guy, with a great voice, who is having fun.

MASN could help him out with supplying him better information. 

Moving this Thorne discussion to the Discussion of Local Sports Media Outlets thread.

#64 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

That was just a whole new level of ridiculousness. I would literally shake my head at that nonsense.

It is akin to a little boy seeing Santa Claus take off his fake beard in the mall parking lot on his way to the car.

WWF Wrestling used to have it's offices in Owings Mills, and they used to tape shows and promo spots there..Anyway, long story short, in the mid 80s a friend's Father got us backstage to watch some of the promo spots the guys would do (like a quick 45 second spot about a match in Columbus, Ohio, then the same guy would do one for a match in Philly, Chicago..whatever). At that time, Ricky Steamboat and Randy Savage were feuding, and it was pretty intense wrestling wise, and between takes of them talking about how they were going to tear each other to threads in every city across the country, they were high fiving each other, giving each other one liners to use, stuff like that. Totally ruined Wrestling for me, even though I knew by then it wasn't real. 

Sort of relative to the Santa Claus thing. 

Lol, yeah I know what you mean. Back around 2000 a friend of mine that went on to be a us champ in wwe, was in an indy league here in md and would tell me all the behind the scenes stuff. Once you've gone to that side you can never look at it the same way.
@JeremyMStrain

#65 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:13 PM

Like I said...just a paycheck.

I'm not expecting him to work for free (or anyone else for that matter). I don't think he's desperate for money, but I'm sure like anyone who has lived a nice lifestyle, he doesn't want downgrade.

@levineps

#66 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Lol, yeah I know what you mean. Back around 2000 a friend of mine that went on to be a us champ in wwe, was in an indy league here in md and would tell me all the behind the scenes stuff. Once you've gone to that side you can never look at it the same way.

Yea, you really can't. Even though I knew it wasn't real, as a kid, you don't want to know that they're really good friends behind the scenes. 

@beginthebegin71

#67 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

No problem with him being enthusiastic for both sides...  ton of problems with the million things he gets wrong.

In-general though, you could do worse than a good guy, with a great voice, who is having fun.

MASN could help him out with supplying him better information. 

Moving this Thorne discussion to the Discussion of Local Sports Media Outlets thread.

That's the most complimentary I've ever heard you regarding Thorne. I was waiting for you to weigh in here.

@levineps

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

That's the most complimentary I've ever heard you regarding Thorne. I was waiting for you to weigh in here.

I don't enjoy him, but in the things I'd change about the O's... he is about #1,000 on the list.

#69 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

I don't enjoy him, but in the things I'd change about the O's... he is about #1,000 on the list.

Yep, the on-field stuff, personnel decisions, and even things like marketing and PR should come before Gary Thorne.

@levineps

#70 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:47 PM

Nestor and Roch going at it on Twitter! 

#71 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Nestor and Roch going at it on Twitter! 

Of all people, why would he go after Roch?  Roch is one of the good ones.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#72 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

Of all people, why would he go after Roch?  Roch is one of the good ones.

Because he doesn't write bad things about the team.

#73 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

I hope they keep arguing. It's highly entertaining. 

And I actually agree with Nestor - there's a difference between what Roch is allowed to write and what he thinks and knows about the team. 

#74 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:04 PM

I hope they keep arguing. It's highly entertaining. 

And I actually agree with Nestor - there's a difference between what Roch is allowed to write and what he thinks and knows about the team. 

A lot of time, the MESSAGE Nestor has is fine...But how he goes about getting to that message(he wants them to spend money but then promotes stupid signings) and how he actually says it is the problem.

His basic point is usually correct.  He just doesn't know how to properly express it...and he lacks knowledge.

#75 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

God I hate twitter.  Is there a way to see every tweet the two guys have sent back and forth on just one page like a message board?  It's the least user friendly site out there...

• Markus likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#76 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

God I hate twitter.  Is there a way to see every tweet the two guys have sent back and forth on just one page like a message board?  It's the least user friendly site out there...

Tell me about it - I gave up trying to follow that a couple tweets in, it's ridiculous. 

#77 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:12 PM

Roch needs thicker skin.
  • Markus likes this

#78 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

I did enjoy Roch telling Nestor to not X out Christ... lmao. 

#79 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Roch needs thicker skin.

i'm not going to sit here and let you question the thickness of his skin.  (that's essentially how this battle started, right?)

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#80 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

If I thought anyone actually respected Nestor's viewpoints on anything O's related, this would be a lot more entertaining.  The fact is he's ruined his credibility and any chance at appearing unbiased based on his behavior all these years so even if/when he does say something true and factual, everyone will take it with a grain of salt.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=