709 replies to this topic

#41 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

Is Baltimore similar or different in the sports media coverage from other similar sized cities? Like...Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Kansas City, etc.

Baltimore will never have the media that NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago, etc have.

So should the media in this city ask harder hitting questions and write more critical articles when necessary?

If so, who should that be?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#42 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Is Baltimore similar or different in the sports media coverage from other similar sized cities? Like...Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Kansas City, etc.

Baltimore will never have the media that NYC, Boston, LA, Chicago, etc have.

So should the media in this city ask harder hitting questions and write more critical articles when necessary?

If so, who should that be?

I've always said Baltimore has way too weak of a watchdog media presence, especially re: the Orioles. Same with the Ravens in many cases but the Ravens also have more of a national media following so more tough questions are asked. Plus, the local media is tougher on the Ravens as well. But there's also not that many accepted tough media watchdog members. 

For example, if a team (like the O's) comes out against an organization (like WNST), there is no one to have our backs really in the media. That wouldn't be the case in NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, or a bigger media market. And not just talking about WNST here nor am I just talking about the O's. John Harbaugh has been a pure dick many times and no one questions him or calls him out on it during the press conference. Check out some of John Tort's press conferences with the NY Rangers. Tough questions are the norm, not the exception. Who does that in Baltimore?

@PeterDiLutis

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

I've always said Baltimore has way too weak of a watchdog media presence, especially re: the Orioles. Same with the Ravens in many cases but the Ravens also have more of a national media following so more tough questions are asked. Plus, the local media is tougher on the Ravens as well. But there's also not that many accepted tough media watchdog members. 

For example, if a team (like the O's) comes out against an organization (like WNST), there is no one to have our backs really in the media. That wouldn't be the case in NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, or a bigger media market. And not just talking about WNST here nor am I just talking about the O's. John Harbaugh has been a pure dick many times and no one questions him or calls him out on it during the press conference. Check out some of John Tort's press conferences with the NY Rangers. Tough questions are the norm, not the exception. Who does that in Baltimore?

The NFL naturally has a more national following since it's become America's #1 sport. First off, there's no local TV game coverage excluding preseason games. Second, every game and with only 15 games at most on a given Sunday, they're all covered as events. Then add to the fact they are a perennial power, yeah they'll get their share of national attention they wouldn't otherwise in a market of this size.

@levineps

#44 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

Right on cue, the O's sign someone that Nestor has never heard of, and the attacks begin...

Like clockwork! 

@beginthebegin71

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Every time any announcer criticizes any player, the fanbase goes nuts..My favorite ever was a game where Collinsworth complimented the Steelers for something, I had a friend go  nuts, and said "Cris didn't like all those years Ray beat him up in Cincinnati" ...When I mentioned to him that Ray debuted 7 years after Collinsworth retired, and the Steelers and Bengals were huge rivals too.  he didn't respond. 

Of course there's the old "Gary Thorne roots for the Red Sox AND Yankees", though that's pretty much disappeared the last few years. 

Seemed to me the Gary Thorne criticism went up this year with the "excited" homerun calls, but I heard less about the Red Sox/Yankees rooting charges. But the same people are criticizing Jim Hunter for being a homer. So can't have it both ways. Thorne said when he was hired that you wouldn't hear "we" from him.

@levineps

#46 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:39 AM

Seemed to me the Gary Thorne criticism went up this year with the "excited" homerun calls, but I heard less about the Red Sox/Yankees rooting charges. But the same people are criticizing Jim Hunter for being a homer. So can't have it both ways. Thorne said when he was hired that you wouldn't hear "we" from him.

I used to call people out on the Thorne absurdity all the time ( I remember writing Ricker a PM saying, like come on man, you're better than that), but since the O's started winning, and the Sox and Yankees havent been as good (Sox in '12, Yankees in '13 I mean), I really haven't noticed it. 

I like Thorne a lot, but can see where some don't, but not because he isn't a homer, he gets excited for great plays regardless of what team makes them. I happen to like that. 

@beginthebegin71

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

I used to call people out on the Thorne absurdity all the time ( I remember writing Ricker a PM saying, like come on man, you're better than that), but since the O's started winning, and the Sox and Yankees havent been as good (Sox in '12, Yankees in '13 I mean), I really haven't noticed it. 

I like Thorne a lot, but can see where some don't, but not because he isn't a homer, he gets excited for great plays regardless of what team makes them. I happen to like that. 

I vaguely remember that. When the O's were losing every game, I used to be pissed about great weather, lol. Anywho, I like Thorne, I think he's a professional, though not as knowledgable about baseball as I'd like my PBP guy to be, generally. I much preferred him in hockey, where I think he was one of the best.

• SBTarheel likes this

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

The funny this is that isn't even what I dislike about him. I'm used to that stuff from his hockey days. Its the general lack of baseball knowledge that gets me. And its not even his fault. The lockout happened and he needed a job, I get that, but some of the things he questions and says make me want to bash my head into a wall.
@JeremyMStrain

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Thorne > Hunter, any day, all day!

@levineps

#50 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

The lack of Baseball knowledge is a bit overrated, he knows the game enough, but yea, sometimes the pitch details are lost on him. 

He's a pro though, that's for sure. 

@beginthebegin71

#51 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Every time any announcer criticizes any player, the fanbase goes nuts..My favorite ever was a game where Collinsworth complimented the Steelers for something, I had a friend go  nuts, and said "Cris didn't like all those years Ray beat him up in Cincinnati" ...When I mentioned to him that Ray debuted 7 years after Collinsworth retired, and the Steelers and Bengals were huge rivals too.  he didn't respond. 

Of course there's the old "Gary Thorne roots for the Red Sox AND Yankees", though that's pretty much disappeared the last few years. 

Don't forget O's fans hating Cal Ripken because he talked about the Yankees in the ALDS in 2012.

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

Don't forget O's fans hating Cal Ripken because he talked about the Yankees in the ALDS in 2012.

He could've just gone Jerome Bettis and say, "Did you really think I'd pick against the Orioles?"

@levineps

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

The lack of Baseball knowledge is a bit overrated, he knows the game enough, but yea, sometimes the pitch details are lost on him. 

I think it's a bit over blown too... When you call 162 ames a year (or 140 or whatever it is), that's 3 hours every night of being on-air. I just think he thinks out loud a little much, and that gets him in trouble with some of that stuff. But he is intelligent and a pro, he's just fine putting himself out there on some things that others would keep a little more guarded. It doesn't really bother me that much to be honest. Most of the time, I'm game threading it up, missing half the stuff being said anyway.

#54 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Oh god, that was Nestor like embarrassing. 

@beginthebegin71

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

That was just a whole new level of ridiculousness. I would literally shake my head at that nonsense.

It is akin to a little boy seeing Santa Claus take off his fake beard in the mall parking lot on his way to the car.

• Oriole85 likes this

#56 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

I think it's a bit over blown too... When you call 162 ames a year (or 140 or whatever it is), that's 3 hours every night of being on-air. I just think he thinks out loud a little much, and that gets him in trouble with some of that stuff. But he is intelligent and a pro, he's just fine putting himself out there on some things that others would keep a little more guarded. It doesn't really bother me that much to be honest. Most of the time, I'm game threading it up, missing half the stuff being said anyway.

Definitely, I'm sure we can find things like that with a ton of play by play guys. He does make mistakes though, and he should be called out on them, but it doesn't mean he sucks or even comes to close to sucking. We've had MUCH worse here. 

I do wish h'es learn to say Encarnacion though. Man that bugs me. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@beginthebegin71

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

He did about 100 games before this year, maybe he did 110-115 this year? (it seemed like it was more) That's my biggest gripe with him is how he doesn't do a full schedule and it's as if he doesn't really care about it.

@levineps

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

Definitely, I'm sure we can find things like that with a ton of play by play guys. He does make mistakes though, and he should be called out on them, but it doesn't mean he sucks or even comes to close to sucking. We've had MUCH worse here. 

I do wish h'es learn to say Encarnacion though. Man that bugs me. 

Registertown Road!

• SBTarheel likes this
@levineps

#59 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

When you are announcing a three hour baseball game on a near nightly basis with a lot of dead air time to fill especially during lopsided games, you are bound to say something stupid. It's a lot harder than people think. I challenge anyone who thinks it's easy to do it and then go on Twitter/BSL/other social media platforms to see what everyone is saying about them and to have thick skin at the same time.

@levineps

#60 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 09 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

He's gotten beter because he's done a couple years since, but I haven't gotten over that first year.
@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=