HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:53 AM

Great episode.

Can't wait for next week.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#162 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:00 AM

Variety: Review

https://www.yahoo.co...-043517532.html

#163 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

Vox: I think I know how Mad Men is going to end

http://www.vox.com/2...ale-predictions

• BobPhelan likes this

#164 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

I was coming in to post this. I think that's a much better, and--if not likely--much more plausible ending than D.B. Cooper.

@DJ_McCann

#165 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:12 PM

I'm wondering what happens to the kids. Does Don take them back when Betty dies? Would seem weird to just be raised in Henry's house by servants

#166 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

The marathon leading up to the final has been fun.

#167 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:56 PM

Peggy and Stan, sittin' in a tree...

@DJ_McCann

#168 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

It wasn't exact, but...

@DJ_McCann

#169 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:32 PM

Don gets in touch with his spiritual side to create an advertisement. Fitting.

I gotta say that I wasn't super enthralled with the whole episode, but I did mostly like the ending.

#170 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 01:22 AM

Now that I've got all 92 episodes TIVO'd, and I can start watching them... my bride and I watched the first 2 episodes tonight.... we began while the last episode was on...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#171 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:53 AM

I'm kind of meh on the episode...I think the ending is open to interpretation. I need to go back and listen to Peggy and Don's last talk to see if he said anything to inspire her to come up with the Coke ad, since I always thought it would have been her to do it, since she said earlier in the season that she wanted to come up with a slogan, a commercial everyone would remember. Anyway, since it does seem like Don came up with it, I wish there was another 15 mins of him strolling into McCann Erickson and dropping that commercial on their desks. Would've given us one last genius Don Draper ad pitch...and I missed those a lot this season.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#172 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

I'm kind of meh on the episode...I think the ending is open to interpretation. I need to go back and listen to Peggy and Don's last talk to see if he said anything to inspire her to come up with the Coke ad, since I always thought it would have been her to do it, since she said earlier in the season that she wanted to come up with a slogan, a commercial everyone would remember.

Anyway, since it does seem like Don came up with it, I wish there was another 15 mins of him strolling into McCann Erickson and dropping that commercial on their desks. Would've given us one last genius Don Draper ad pitch...and I missed those a lot this season.

Perhaps the irony is that Don lashed out at her for saying that's her main purpose in life, but after his soul searching, it turned out to be his too.

#173 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

Perhaps the irony is that Don lashed out at her for saying that's her main purpose in life, but after his soul searching, it turned out to be his too.

Good point. I forgot that it was Don that Peggy told that to.

I have to admit, I was getting frustrated that Don was stuck at a hippy commune, as the minutes ticked off the clock and there were only 10 mins left in the entire series. I really wanted to see him come back to NYC.

I have to go back and re-watch Leonard's speech.

• fishteacher likes this

#174 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:22 PM

Really enjoyed these final 7 episodes.

#175 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 03:31 PM

Richard is BOOBS a freaking idiot to walk out on BOOBS Joan. I needed to BOOBS catch my BOOBS breath after her BOOBS scene in BOOBS Florida with the BOOBS cocaine. 

BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS

• fishteacher likes this

#176 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 06:51 PM

Grantland: ‘Mad Men’ Series Finale: Where You Drink Champagne and It Tastes Just Like Coca-Cola

http://grantland.com...k-finale-recap/

#177 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

I do believe the show could have ended with "The Milk and Honey Route" and it would have been a more satisfying conclusion than "Person to Person".

Yeah we wouldn't have gotten the Peggy and Joan conclusions but we would have been left with Peggy strolling into McCann Erickson like a boss.

I am glad we saw Joan end up running her own business though.

#178 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,866 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:49 PM

I really liked the final ep, but like you Sean, as Don was stuck in that commune, I kept thinking, "holy shit, we're running out of show...you gotta get outta there and go 'rescue NY and your kids.'"  However, like you said, it leaves a lot open for interpretation, and lets you think that Don's self-loathing started to lessen a bit after his stay there.  According to Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia....erfect_Harmony)

Pretty interesting to say the least...McCann-Erickson is not "made up"....and it came out in 1971 which leaves time for Don to have come up with it in 1970 which was the last "date" I think I saw posted somewhere in one of the offices at some point, and go back to NY and drop it on the desk.  

I always hate finales because it's always like watching good friends move away...always a bit heartbreaking, but you know it's for the best.  Hated watching SOA go, hated watching the SOpranos end, Seinfeld, Lost, and the list can go on and on, but at some point, it's just TIME.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#179 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:54 PM

Well, I never watched any of them, I just DVR's them all... then, on the night when they showed the last episode, that's when my bride and I started watching them all.

We just finished the last of all 92 episodes this eveniing.

Wow.  An amazing accomplishment.  

FWIW, I thought the ending was almost perfect.  The only thing I wish is that the transition from Esalen to the Coke commerical wasn't so abruptly abrupt... not enough time to change gears..., too sudden a shift-and-ending... but still amazing anyway... hard to absorb, but as someone who was around when that ad really happened, it gave me chills...

That Coke commercial was a very big deal when it happened... for purposes of the show, it was not only the ultimate accomplishment for an ad guy, but certain lines of the lyrics sound like something that would have come out of Don's mouth... it was a true triumph for the writers to have used that as a way to say goodbye to the ultimate ad guy...

ps:  Afterwards, we watched some of the video of the cast talking about the show... they all seemed way less real than their characters did   :wink:

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#180 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

The Ringer: How ‘Mad Men’ Became the Perfect Show for the Pandemic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=