181 replies to this topic

#81 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yeah Megan is gone. I think. Perhaps Don opening up will lure her back. Who knows?

I loved the telegram and the secretary's reaction. Mad Men can make opening the mail exciting. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#82 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,087 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

Grantland: Mad Men Power Rankings, Episode 613: 'In Care Of'
http://www.grantland...-613-in-care-of

#83 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:33 AM

Don loves beginnings. He can start to change, but can he stay with it? I think that is the big question with his character -- can he follow through with something like quitting drinking, quitting cheating, continue to open up about his past to his children, etc... that is where Don's salvation lies. Up until now, everything he's done to change hasn't lasted and he ends up the same miserable prick he's always been.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,087 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

Don loves beginnings. He can start to change, but can he stay with it? I think that is the big question with his character -- can he follow through with something like quitting drinking, quitting cheating, continue to open up about his past to his children, etc... that is where Don's salvation lies. Up until now, everything he's done to change hasn't lasted and he ends up the same miserable prick he's always been.

Yeah, you nailed it here Sean. I wasn't surprised he wanted to head to California. It fits with the idea of escape and moving on / starting over, vs. sticking out a current horrible situation.

#85 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:23 AM

They did a nice job having this season basically do enough to expect a huge season to wrap the show up. If I never see Megan's character again, it'll be too soon.

@beginthebegin71

#86 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:56 AM

Maybe it could still happen, but I was almost hoping that the Sharon Tate foreshadowing was true and she'd be murdered to throw a big monkey wrench into the show, and Don's demeanor. He's never really had to deal with sudden loss like that, and especially something as cruel as murder. It could have been a great jumping off point to explore Don more than just cheating and trying to sabotage work. Wiener probably thinks that kind of thing is too contrived, but I'd be fascinated to see how something that shocking would work given the Mad Men treatment, where everything is so sudden and then the ripples trickle out across the cast.

#87 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,087 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:05 AM

Maybe it could still happen, but I was almost hoping that the Sharon Tate foreshadowing was true and she'd be murdered to throw a big monkey wrench into the show, and Don's demeanor. He's never really had to deal with sudden loss like that, and especially something as cruel as murder. It could have been a great jumping off point to explore Don more than just cheating and trying to sabotage work. Wiener probably thinks that kind of thing is too contrived, but I'd be fascinated to see how something that shocking would work given the Mad Men treatment, where everything is so sudden and then the ripples trickle out across the cast.

I think a lot of people agreed with you, and wanted something 'larger' to happen.... myself, I think the show has been great, because while it exists in the larger context of a chaotic world, full of characters who are individually experiencing major issues in their respective lives; the day-to-day minutia of office life and those politics / relationships is primarily what drives the show.

#88 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

I think a lot of people agreed with you, and wanted something 'larger' to happen.... myself, I think the show has been great, because while it exists in the larger context of a chaotic world, full of characters who are individually experiencing major issues in their respective lives; the day-to-day minutia of office life and those politics / relationships is primarily what drives the show.
Yeah while I wanted something to happen its still one of the best shows on TV. They're doing things right.

#89 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

Oh, it absolutely could still happen. Even if Megan doesn't leave Don, they will most likely be living on different coasts most of the time for next season--which, of course, will probably be 1969. She'll be a young actress trying to work her way into the Hollywood scene, and both Tate and Roman Polanski could realistically be in that orbit.

It's not out of the question that she either is or is scheduled to be at that party on August 9 (about the ninth episode, going off of their usual pattern).

@DJ_McCann

#90 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

And today in "Oh, Sweet Lord"...

In keeping with the show's obsession with duality, Mad Men's final season will also be split in two

@DJ_McCann

#91 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

It's eye rolling but with Breaking Bad ending I'm not too upset with delaying the end of the golden age a bit.

#92 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

I'm OK with more Mad Men but I am tired of Hollywood dragging out endings.

#93 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

AMC realizes how screwed they are once BB and MM are over.

#94 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:22 PM

AMC realizes how screwed they are once BB and MM are over.

Yup.

Low Winter Sun got a 0.4 rating last Sunday, and this week didn't even break into the top-100 shows watched Sunday night. That's dead, The Killing is dead again, Hell on Wheels is stuck on Saturday nights. It's The Walking Dead and two half-seasons of Mad Men (which they really must be hoping for the same bump as Breaking Bad, because it never receives good ratings), and pray for Better Call Saul.

@DJ_McCann

#95 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Don't forget about The Walking Dead spin-off in 2015, around the time when TWD will have run its course, so I see that being a failure too.

AMC should commit themselves to what got them viewers in the first place -- quality, original shows. Not spin-offs.

#96 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Don't forget about The Walking Dead spin-off in 2015, around the time when TWD will have run its course, so I see that being a failure too.

AMC should commit themselves to what got them viewers in the first place -- quality, original shows. Not spin-offs.

They've tried. Right now, though, they seem to think that faking a quality show is easier than making a quality show, so they are going down that path, though the people who make it a point to watch AMC dramas also tend to be the people who know the difference.

@DJ_McCann

#97 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Low Winter Sun and The Killing = both remakes of foreign shows.

Now theyve got TWD and BB spinoffs planned.

Find the next Mad Men or Breaking Bad. Dont cannibalize them.

• BobPhelan likes this

#98 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

I refuse to watch The Killing because it seems way too close to Twin Peaks.  I don't care how wrong this opinion is, I'm not watching it.

• BobPhelan likes this

@fuzydunlop

#99 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

I refuse to watch The Killing because it seems way too close to Twin Peaks. I don't care how wrong this opinion is, I'm not watching it.

That may not be the right reason to not watch it but the end result is still a smart one.

#100 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

I refuse to watch The Killing because it seems way too close to Twin Peaks.  I don't care how wrong this opinion is, I'm not watching it.

Watch the pilot and then nothing else. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=