181 replies to this topic

#21 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

My DVR has 61 episodes of this show saved up, but I haven't watched any of them yet. Waiting for a rainy day (week? month?)

Am I missing any, or do I have them all?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

That's a lot of DVR space. I think you're 2 episodes short.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hard to see things ending well with Lane.

Was hoping to be wrong.

#24 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

RIP Layne Price.
@beginthebegin71

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

I'm not really sad to see Layne go as they didn't properly develop his character imo and I wasn't a fan of when he was the focus of scenes, especially outside of the office. The fight with Pete being a notable exception. :D

I think this story arch was a bit rushed, but again, I don't mind that he's gone.

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

EW: Season Finale Review
http://popwatch.ew.c...le-the-phantom/

#27 BustaJ2632

BustaJ2632
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:56 PM

Good finale...kind of reminded me of The Wire. All the really explosive, jaw-dropping stuff came leading up to the finale, which basically just wrapped things up/set up next year.

Going into last night, I had a couple predictions which came true or at least could come true. 1) We would see Peggy last night and get some sense of what she'll be doing at CGC. She's clearly going for Virginia Slims...that could be a huge coup for her if she gets it.

2) Rebecca Pryce would ultimately cause problems for SCDP. She never wanted to be in America full time, and harbored some resentment for the company even before Lane died because it changed him and kept him from going back to England. It also drew him out of his shell a little bit that had him so easily beaten down by her and his father. Anyway, she obviously doesn't feel like $50,000 is sufficient. Maybe nothing will come of it, but I would bet that she tries to sue the company or do something along those lines, particularly if his name remains attached to it.

In real life, Mohawk Airlines is just months away from a crash that cripples them from a PR standpoint, and while they remained afloat for a while longer, they were never the same. With SCDP relying on the resumed billings from them in order to buy the additional office space, I would be shocked if this isn't a major plot point early next season. I could also see Megan - who might need to travel more now that she has an "acting" gig and presumably will get some more - aboard the plane that goes down. If the final scene is any indicator that Don is back to his old ways, I just don't see them basically repeating a lot of Betty's old storylines with Don cheating on her, etc. I just wouldn't be surprised if they get rid of her altogether, and that seems like a relatively convenient way to do it. Don was responsible - or at least feels in some way that he was responsible - for the deaths of Adam and Lane. Maybe he gets Megan a ticket on Mohawk since they're a client and will save some money as she goes off for a gig somewhere?

Also looking forward to seeing what happens with Roger, who now evidently is making LSD a semi-regular habit. Also Harry, who didn't actually seem to DO anything all season as far as I can recall. He also is clearly not trusted by anyone in the office, and was never in any important meeting despite being the "head of his department." Ginsberg will be interesting to watch develop, and Peggy obviously will be very intriguing as we wait to see what happens with her, even if she isn't as regular a character anymore.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@samangell2007

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

I was on vacation last week so watched the penultimate and finale last night on my DVR.

Really enjoyed the end of the season, especially the 2nd to last episode. I know it wasn't the reaction I was supposed to be having, but I could not stop laughing when Layne's Jaguar wouldn't start. I thought that perhaps he would have a change of heart after that, but when he went to the office you knew things wouldn't end well. Figured that Don would have some significant issues with basically the second time he's been the last straw that lead to someone's suicide by hanging, although I didn't really like that he was hallucinating seeing Adam.

I haven't quite decided what I think Don's response to the woman in the bar will be. I hadn't thought at all about Sam's suggestion of killing off Meghan. She was essentially the 2nd most featured character this season, so it would definitely be surprising. But I also agree that I don't see Don cheating on her like he did on Betty being super interesting as a season. Although we'd (depending on how long the show elapses between seasons) be seeing his "fall" into philandering and presumably hating his wife, as opposed to the start of the show when we saw after he was in that rut and then the eventual break-up of the marriage.

Now 3 people have punched Peter Campbell in the face. That's awesome.

Very fun season. Laughed more than perhaps the rest of the seasons combined. Mostly at Roger, who was just absolutely incredible all season long. Slattery should win best supporting actor hands down, IMO (and I love what Peter Dinklage does as Tyrion on Game of Thrones). Already can't wait for the next season. Such a great show.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Decent finale.

I thought Peggy should have been addressed and shown in the previous episode, but I was glad to see her and to see the agency feel her loss. I hope to see her a lot going forward and I think she may come up with the slogan "You've come a long way, baby."

Don ignored the advice of Megan's mom and his own thinking and gave in to Megan's request to act in the commercial. I think that will prove to be a mistake for him and we already saw that it seems like he's going to slip back into his old habits. I disagree with those who think that would be a mistake as I think it's a mistake to have him change who he is so much as we saw this season. That was an aberration and he is likely going to show his true colors going forward. People largely remain who they are and true happiness is elusive. I think that's one of the themes of this show and I expect it to continue.

Busta's speculation of Mohawk's crash killing off Megan and damaging the agency is certainly interesting. Mohawk would eventually merge with another company and later become US Airways. So, it's possible that they'll retain that client after the merger.

I think a potentially more interesting future for Don and Megan would be if this jump started her career and she became a star while Don's career fades somewhat and he becomes more like Cooper and Sterling while Pete and Ginsberg carry the agency and Peggy is excelling elsewhere (maybe Don begs for her to come back?).

I'll be glad to see a season without Layne I didn't really care for his character all that much, especially when he was featured outside of the office.

So it looks like Pete is getting what he wanted with the apartment in Manhattan. Will he actually be happy?

And yeah, Roger was very entertaining this season.

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Grantland: The Return of 'Mad Men'
http://www.grantland...-return-mad-men

#31 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Can't wait for Sunday.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:40 AM

I'm also quite excited.  Really enjoyed last season, intrugied to find out where everyone is when this season starts up.  Wonder if we'll see Don already back into his cheating ways or if he's avoided the temptation thus far and we'll have to watch to see if he falls or not.

Can't wait for more of Roger's lines.  He's gotta be my favorite character.

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

As you can tell from my avatar, I really like this show.

Can't wait for Sunday night.

• mweb08 likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

I'm trying desperately to catch up on season five by tomorrow night so I can actually watch a season as it happens.

@DJ_McCann

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:38 AM

What'd everyone think?

I thought it sort of had a very familiar feel to it, very much like the very fist episode with Don coming home to his family at the end, except, you know, different.  It was very odd seeing Don being outwardly friendly to someone living in his apartment building, but by the end of it you knew why.  I think everyone was expecting Don to be back to this place, though the show tricked us (well, me at least) by immediately showing him happy and with Meghan even if he had some opportunities to step out.  He wasn't completely happy (sleepless nights), but he didn't appear to be acting on his baser impulses like he always used to.  But then that last scene really made a lot of sense when it tied in with the rest of the episode.

I was a little confused with the way they showed the "flashback" to Little Carmine having the heart attack.  Seemed a little similar to the "fever dream" Don had last year but eventually it clicked and you knew what was going on.

I have no idea what's going on with the new guy who brought Don coffee and sent the deli to the funeral.  I suppose he's just trying to work his way up at the agency. 

Really liked seeing Peggy doing so well, even in a tough spot, at the new gig.  I forget the actor's name who was playing the account man there (not Chaugh, the older guy), but he was awesome.  But holy crap Abe's hair and goatee!

And Roger in therapy...just a great idea for absolute gold material.

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

I've only watched the first 45 minutes so far but it's good. I just like watching this world. A lot of Meghan in bikini or less shots early on. Not complaining.

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Solid episode. No surprise for me with Don and I wasn't fooled by the Hawaii trip. It's a little surprising that he went older, though with his choice in women.

I did really enjoy seeing a lot of Peggy and I like seeing her excel at her job.

I also had previously said that it would be interesting to see Meghan become a star while Don's star fades and that seems to be a possibility here even though it remains to be seen how each of their respective careers go in the remainder of the series. It did look like Don may have been inspired again by the doctor's line before he skied to the hospital so we'll see if he can turn that into a pitch that is accepted unlike the previous one.

And yes, Roger in therapy is great and I liked that he was heavily featured. He's in the top 3 or so for most interesting characters for me and he is the funniest. 

#38 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

I finished the episode last night, I agree Roger was great as always. The Betty storyline was interesting but I'm not sure where that's going.

#39 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

IMO, the problem with Betty is that she's so unsympathetic and cold that you either A) don't care about her character-developing story-lines, or you just want to see her get shit on. 

Of all the characters, she is the one thats been written into a corner she'll never be able to get out of.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,360 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

IMO, the problem with Betty is that she's so unsympathetic and cold that you either A) don't care about her character-developing story-lines, or you just want to see her get shit on. 

Of all the characters, she is the one thats been written into a corner she'll never be able to get out of.

I think that's a good description of Betty.

I do wonder if they are showing her trying to be a good mother to somebody, to care about somoene other than herself, even if it's not one of her own kids.  They've already established Sally as pretty independent and about to begin being pretty mean to Betty.  I think maybe we'll see Sally start to overdo it but Betty handle it in a good way that maybe establishes some sympathy for her.

Or just continue to root for her to get crapped on.  Cause that's fun, too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=