#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:02 PM

When you take all things into consideration:  hours, management, where you THOUGHT you'd be (and what you thought you'd be doing), your degree (if applicable, does it match what you ended up doing) etc etc.  Do you like your job?  Are you happy?

I have to say that I really do like my current position.

A little background.

As most of you know I am an attorney.  I graduated law school in another state (New York) but knew I wanted to move back to Maryland.  In many cases, if you decide to practice law in another state, you're pretty much SOL in terms of getting help finding a job from the career center (unless you're in the top part of your class, then you can work wherever you want).

So I came back to Maryland with this law degree, with no job and no idea what I wanted to do.  I finally found work a few months later, my first job out of law school, and it was a complete nightmare.  Poor salary, awful management (both in terms of how they managed and the type of people they were), little guidance/direction...just real bad.  I received one raise and one raise only in the four or so years I worked there and that was only because they fired my boss less than a year after I started working there and gave me the reigns (the turnover at this place was awful as well, people quit or were fired almost weekly).  One day I showed up to work and there was a notice of eviction on the door -- apparently my bosses (located in New Jersey) couldn't or wouldn't pay their rent and I was forced to lay off about 15 people and relocate the remaining 10 or so to a shoebox sized office in Columbia.  We never had direct deposit!  We had to get our checks every other Friday from FedEx and sometimes, if the truck was running late, we'd worry that we wouldn't be paid (I pretty much had a private law suit typed up in the event that ever happened -- I never had to file it).

If you're getting the impression that this place was awful then I've painted a suitable picture.  The one good side, I guess, was that I am able to put "Managing Attorney" on my resume and when I tell future potential employers about this place, they seem very sympathetic.

Anyway, I was about at my wit's end when an attorney I knew from court appearances called me and asked me if I was looking for a new job (I was ALWAYS looking for a new job).  She told me about her company and that they were expanding in Maryland and if she should set up an interview.

They flew me to headquarters, interviewed me and within a week I was hired.  That was almost a year ago.  That's where I am today and with the increased salary (including guaranteed yearly raises), ability to work from home (huge bonus), comraderie amongst the employees and overall stability of the company I have to say I really am liking where I am at.

I often wonder if this job is that great or if my previous nightmare makes this one seem all the better but I do know this, having a job you hate absolutely sucks.  You spend roughly 1/3 of your adult life working.  I'm not saying that you need to have the PERFECT job (few people do) but at least do something that you can tolerate and, at the end of the day, make you smile every time you punch the time clock.

So yea, not really sure the purpose of this thread.  I guess as motivation for others or to open up discussion.

Have a good weekend everybody!

• BSLChrisStoner, Adam Wolff, JeremyStrain and 1 other like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Are you asking on behalf of your mom, because that last 'job' she gave me was terrible.

• Adam Wolff likes this

@fuzydunlop

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:56 AM

Love my job...but certainly the worry of security is always in the back of my mind.

I do wish I was involved in sports though...that would have been my dream.

But, owning my own business, not having to answer to anyone and being able to come and go as I please was always second on my list.

• Mike in STL likes this

#4 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

I feel the same as Rob. I like my job in the fire department. But I'm not squirrely about it like some people. I don't wear FD shirts in public or post pictures on fb like I'm some kind of hero, cause I'm not.

Job security is pretty high, plan on retiring at age 53 with a 30 year pension. Also have a deferred compensation plan that I can cash out then too, like a 401k.

But sports was always my dream. I wish I could do it full time, and being a successful business owner would be the best. Always thought owning a sports bar would be fun.

So I like my job, and the adult in me knows I have to stick with it for the benefits. But its not necessarily the career path I would have chosen.
@BSLMikeRandall

#5 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Not really a job since I'm not getting paid, but I decided to volunteer a few hours a week in Xavier's Athletic Department this year (my senior year). I'm working with Sports Information. So a lot of website work, athlete bios, working games, social media, statistics, etc.A lot of my time is also during games, mostly (so far) soccer and men's basketball, although I'm beginning to do women's games next week. Since basketball started. my main responsibility during game day is doing the game recap for Xavier's website. Plus, I get to sit courtside, three seats away from the team, which is pretty cool.

I really love it so far. Not sure how much Athletic Communications/SID positions pay, but it's interesting stuff, involving statistics, media relations, social media, and website work. I could definitely see myself trying to find an SID Assistant position once I graduate. Hoping to learn more from my bosses about how they got involved and how they think the best way I could find a position in the spring.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

I actually do like the actual "job" part of my job, just hate most everything else surrounding it. I'd be happy to deliver mail and continue my podcast for the foreseeable future.
  • SportsGuy and Russ like this

#7 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:20 PM

I'm pretty much exactly "meh" about my job.  I'm an engineer at a test lab, focusing mainly on printed circuit board failure analysis.  I'm thankful for it, it's steady, and it pays the bills.  I get along well with my boss and colleagues, and they're flexible with my schedule when I need it, which with 3 kids 6 and under is pretty important.

But, I just have no passion for it.  It's just a day in and day out grind.  Very little fulfillment, and not a ton of room for advancement where I'm at right now.  So I don't at all hate it.  I don't dread going in like a lot of folks do.  It's just sort of a go in, put in my time, and leave sort of thing.

And the kicker is, you just feel sort of stuck with it.  I'd love to go back to school, but with a mortgage and family to take care of I can't really afford it.  I've strongly considered various career changes, even reached out to McNulty a few years ago about the coast guard, but it seems like every time I get close to something something comes up to prevent it.  I have a bachelor's degree in Physics, which is kind of worthless, to be honest. 

If I had to do it all over again, I think I either would have enlisted in the military right out of high school or learned a trade.  I went to college not because I wanted to, but because it was the next thing in life to do.  I wish I would have had someone advise me not to do that at the time.

But anyway, after all that, like I say, I don't hate my job, and I'm thankful to have it.  I know many others don't right now.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#8 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

I actually do like the actual "job" part of my job, just hate most everything else surrounding it. I'd be happy to deliver mail and continue my podcast for the foreseeable future.

Where do you deliver mail?

#9 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

Where do you deliver mail?
Perry Hall.

#10 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

My job is pretty cool, get to talk sports & gambling all day, which is great.

it's 7 days a week though, sometimes that gets a bit tedious.

@beginthebegin71

#11 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

BTW, I was accused of "bragging" about my job by starting this thread by a poster.

Those weren't my intentions.  At all.  I already admitted that I spent about 4 years in an absolutely terrible job.  This thread was mostly just based on curiosity and partially, like I said, to maybe provide inspiration/support to any posters that feel trapped in their current job.

Seems like most are content where they are -- good to see.

@bopper33

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

BTW, I was accused of "bragging" about my job by starting this thread by a poster.

Those weren't my intentions.  At all.  I already admitted that I spent about 4 years in an absolutely terrible job.  This thread was mostly just based on curiosity and partially, like I said, to maybe provide inspiration/support to any posters that feel trapped in their current job.

Heat of the moment, I known you weren't bragging. Sorry that was out of line. I'm moving on. We've said what needs to be said, it is what it is. I was way wrong about the music/job/sports trips comment. Way out of line. 

• DJ MC likes this

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

My job is pretty cool, get to talk sports & gambling all day, which is great.

it's 7 days a week though, sometimes that gets a bit tedious.

I've always felt like I'd love a job that involved handicapping sports, or sports in general.

Until I was about 19-20 (when I decided to go to law school), my passion was to be a sports writer (I majored in journalism).

My problem, I think, is that by working in the field of sports I felt like I wouldn't enjoy them as much.  Could I really be as big a sports fan as I am if I was, say, a beat writer for the Ravens?  Would I even be able to follow my other teams like I do?  And would I appreciate it as much when my teams win or lose?

Also, other than NBA, I'm actually fairly bad/average at sports betting.

@bopper33

#14 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:38 PM

I've always felt like I'd love a job that involved handicapping sports, or sports in general.

Until I was about 19-20 (when I decided to go to law school), my passion was to be a sports writer (I majored in journalism).

My problem, I think, is that by working in the field of sports I felt like I wouldn't enjoy them as much.  Could I really be as big a sports fan as I am if I was, say, a beat writer for the Ravens?  Would I even be able to follow my other teams like I do?  And would I appreciate it as much when my teams win or lose?

Also, other than NBA, I'm actually fairly bad/average at sports betting.

I always wanted to work in Sports radio, and interned on Stan The Fan's show, and stayed there even after I graduated for a few years, but didn't want to start at the bottom, so I started working at the handicapping firm with thoughts of leaving after a little while..

That was in 1997. Anyhow, as for what you said, you're spot on..Besides the Orioles and Tar Heels, I really can't be a "fan" most of the time, as I can't pick with my heart, EVER. And I can't be a fan of anyone in Football since 75% of my salary is earned during Football season, and every week we give out different teams. So my "favorite" teams change every weekend.

i've always been more of a Baseball/Basketball guy anyway, but i couldn't be loyal to a football team even if I wanted to at this point.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this
@beginthebegin71

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:09 AM

Hell...even if you were bragging about liking your job, go at it. Nothing wrong with that.

If you knew someone didn't have a job and rubbed their faces in it, that wouldn't be cool but if you love it and are successful, brag all you want.

One thing I have learned is that the best thing is just being happy...whether it's at home, work or whatever...that's all that matters.

Being miserable sucks. I'm glad I don't have one of those 9-5, "Office Space" jobs that I regret going to everyday. That's just the worst.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:13 AM

I'm self-employed, so I guess I better like my job....though my boss can be an ass every now and then.

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 12:17 AM

I'm self-employed, so I guess I better like my job....though my boss can be an ass every now and then.

Don't we know it!

@bopper33

#18 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:37 AM

Heat of the moment, I known you weren't bragging. Sorry that was out of line. I'm moving on. We've said what needs to be said, it is what it is. I was way wrong about the music/job/sports trips comment. Way out of line. 

That was a great fight. You guys do it much better than Weber and myself.

The Ravens season has us extremely frustrated and I bet that was a big part of why things escalated between you two.

Who would have thought Rob would be the relatively even tempered one around here with his reputation over at OH. 

• Russ likes this

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 07:17 AM

That was a great fight. You guys do it much better than Weber and myself.

The Ravens season has us extremely frustrated and I bet that was a big part of why things escalated between you two.

Who would have thought Rob would be the relatively even tempered one around here with his reputation over at OH. 

Thanks. I prefer the hockey style of fighting... just drop the gloves and go at it. 

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

Hell...even if you were bragging about liking your job, go at it. Nothing wrong with that.

If you knew someone didn't have a job and rubbed their faces in it, that wouldn't be cool but if you love it and are successful, brag all you want.

One thing I have learned is that the best thing is just being happy...whether it's at home, work or whatever...that's all that matters.

Being miserable sucks. I'm glad I don't have one of those 9-5, "Office Space" jobs that I regret going to everyday. That's just the worst.

It sure is.

And well said, I agree. I envy anyone who is truly happy in their jobs. That's invaluable.

Dammit, I just agreed with Rob again. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=