513 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:18 AM

Hardy is turning it on. With him and Reynolds getting going a little bit, the offense could really start to pick up. Only real weak spots right now are Markakis and Chavez/Flaherty in LF.

Markakis really needs to start hitting. It's unacceptable for him to be performing like he has all season long. I know he likes to say he's a slow starter (~758 OPS in April/May for career), but being below .700 for a two month stretch is really tough, especially coming off of last year's bad season. At some point, he's gotta start earning his money.

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

Hardy has had multiple hit games in 4 straight games. His average is now up to .261, and his OPS is now at .807.

He has 9 homers, and 10 doubles for the year.

#43 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

We've seen HR streaks like this from Hardy before, but I don't think we've seen him this out all around before. He's been pretty much on fire lately. Any fastball thrown near the middle of the plate is getting just scorched somewhere.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:47 PM

Hardy with the GW hit today, knocking in two runs with his single to RF in the 7th.

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

After missing Wednesday's game with a 'barking shoulder', Hardy was 2 for 4 tonight, with his 11th double, 2 rbi, and a walk.

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

I wonder if Hardy could handle 3rd. I wonder all the time if we are a better team with Reynolds DHing, Hardy at 3rd, and Andino holding down SS until Machado is ready. Either way looking at available 3B coming up, keeping Hardy and moving him to 3B might be the best solution once Manny is ready.
@JeremyMStrain

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

From our 4/24, 4/30, 5/7 & 5/8 Q&As with Scott Miller, CBS Sports, Dan Szymborski, ESPN / BBTF, Matt Klassen, FanGraphs, and Bob Harkins, NBC Sports / Hardball Talk

Baltimore Sports and Life: “Last Summer, JJ Hardy signed a 3 year $22.5M extension. In the 3 years he has played 129+ games (’07, ’08, and ’11) his slugging has been above .463 in each of those seasons. He is also a quality defensive SS. Prized prospect Manny Machado is already at AA Bowie. If Machado ends 2012 appearing to be ready to join the show to start ’13, would you trade Hardy, or move him to 3rd?"

Miller: “I seem to recall the Orioles have had some success moving guys from SS to 3B, haven’t they?! I’m not saying Hardy is Cal Ripken Jr., of course, that’s ridiculous. But here’s the thing about bringing along kids like Machado: When the core of kids hits, you need a few veterans sprinkled around to help show them the way. I’m a Hardy fan – he’s a real pro and a great influence. I keep him, move him over to 3B and let him show the kids the way.”

Szymborski: “It’s too bad that he can’t move to both second and third simultaneously. It’s hard to say exactly what the circumstances will be at the time, whether the O’s should seek to trade Hardy or to keep him. If the pitching is still non-nauseating, it may be worthwhile to keep him.”

Klaassen: “I’m a big fan of Machado. I know there are some who think he will “grow out of shortstop” eventually, but even those people think he’ll hit well enough to be a stud at third. I’d be a bit surprised if he was ready to start 2013 as the Orioles big-league shortstop, but hey, young guys can surprise us.

Having said that… while there is something to be said for just putting a nice team on the field, the Orioles should not be basing when they trade Hardy on when Machado is ready. Maybe they want to wait a bit longer (given the team’s hot start) to openly put Hardy on the market, but hype aside, this Orioles team isn’t going anywhere the next few years. Hardy is a good player on a team-friendly contract. As a good defensive shortstop with a decent bat, he has real value. The sooner they trade him (given the right trade situation, of course, they shouldn’t just dump him), the more value in prospects/young talent they have a chance to get that will actually be on the next contender in Baltimore, a team that is highly unlikely to include Hardy on his current contract.”

Harkins: “I thought the Hardy signing was a very smart move at a reasonable cost by the Orioles. Keep in mind that Machado is still only 19 and there is no reason for the Orioles to rush him, especially when they already have a quality option at the position. I think it is highly unlikely Machado will be big-league ready for the start of 2013, but if by chance he is, then I think you decide what to do based on whether you think the Orioles are going to be contenders. If you think they will be, hang onto Hardy and work Machado in. If you think they won’t be ready to contend, then look to deal Hardy and give the spot to Machado.”

#48 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Well I'm not the first to think of this I guess :)

I mean, you need vets to mix in, he seems like a good one, and .270 with 20 HR and good defense at 3B would be a godsend at this point.
@JeremyMStrain

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Another 3 hits yesterday, including his 10th hr. Some O's fans irritated that he was swinging on 3-0 in the 9th.

Last year, Hardy batted .269, with a .310 OBP, and a .491 SLG (.801 OPS).
This year, Hardy is batting .262, with a .309 OBP, and a .487 SLG (.796 OPS).

Pretty consistent.

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

Another 3 hits yesterday, including his 10th hr. Some O's fans irritated that he was swinging on 3-0 in the 9th.

Last year, Hardy batted .269, with a .310 OBP, and a .491 SLG (.801 OPS).
This year, Hardy is batting .262, with a .309 OBP, and a .487 SLG (.796 OPS).

Pretty consistent.

Yeah of course they were irritated, it didn't work out. Nobody would've criticized him had he hit a homer there.
@levineps

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

If Machado is ready to be up by next May, would you prefer to move Hardy to 3rd, or to trade him?
  • FlavaDave10 likes this

#52 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

If Machado is ready to be up by next May, would you prefer to move Hardy to 3rd, or to trade him?

Move him to third if he's willing to go there. Check out the "Reynolds" thread if you want to hear my argument. But basically, if Hardy wants a big contract, thanks to the premium on 3B right now, if he can prove he can play 3B, he could get a better contract than if he were a SS.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:07 PM

Now that's a difficult question, depends how close we are to contending. If we are contending, I'd keep him him and move him 3B. If not, I'd like to get more prospect in the system.
@levineps

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

Now that's a difficult question, depends how close we are to contending. If we are contending, I'd keep him him and move him 3B. If not, I'd like to get more prospect in the system.

Yeah I kinda agree with the main point here. Depends on how this season finishes up. If they regress back to top 7 draft pick status it might change my mind, but if we are in the hanging tough area, then I think using him to fill a hole at 3B or 2B is the best use.

A better question is if Reynolds catches fire do you trade him as soon as possible, or pick up the almost $12m option and let some other team deal with that?
@JeremyMStrain

#55 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Yeah I kinda agree with the main point here. Depends on how this season finishes up. If they regress back to top 7 draft pick status it might change my mind, but if we are in the hanging tough area, then I think using him to fill a hole at 3B or 2B is the best use.

A better question is if Reynolds catches fire do you trade him as soon as possible, or pick up the almost $12m option and let some other team deal with that?

Unless he really he gets hot both offensively and defensively, I'd have a hard time seeing any team justifying paying him that much next year. I guess if some team needs a DH and wants to pay a premium, that could be that. I'd like to trade him if possible.
@levineps

#56 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hardy arrives in Boston with a 5 game hitting streak, and hits in 8 of his last 9 games overall. His slugging % has dipped under last year’s levels though, as he has just 3 xbh’s in his last 15 games.

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:23 PM

Following a tough couple of days in Boston, Hardy has added his 11th homer of the year tonight.

#58 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

FanGraphs: Q&A: Hardy on SS Defense
http://www.fangraphs...rtstop-defense/

#59 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

FanGraphs: Q&A: Hardy on SS Defense
http://www.fangraphs...rtstop-defense/

That's really a great interview, everybody should read that.

#60 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Another guy who prides himself on doing things right and thus being boring to watch... I love it...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=