• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:42 AM

My views on Hardy are virtually identical to SG's... and if Hardy has a good first half and is healthy, he should be dealt for a good return. Off the top of my head, consider when the San Diego Padres traded reliever Mike Adams to Texas for LHP Robbie Erlin and RHP Joe Wieland. I know Adams was a reliever, but I believe Hardy should get better than that this summer.

Worrying about the short-term would ideally not factor into a long-term decision, but hypothetically lets say the O's are exceeding expectations and are right around .500 at the non-waiver deadline. Hardy has managed to stay in the lineup and is producing. Would you agree that moving Hardy would become impractical at that point?

If you get to the non-waiver deadline and the O's are trapped in another abysmal season, everyone will be clamoring (with reason) for vets like Hardy to be moved. I get annoyed when you almost have to root for losing.

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

My views on Hardy are virtually identical to SG's... and if Hardy has a good first half and is healthy, he should be dealt for a good return. Off the top of my head, consider when the San Diego Padres traded reliever Mike Adams to Texas for LHP Robbie Erlin and RHP Joe Wieland. I know Adams was a reliever, but I believe Hardy should get better than that this summer.

Worrying about the short-term would ideally not factor into a long-term decision, but hypothetically lets say the O's are exceeding expectations and are right around .500 at the non-waiver deadline. Hardy has managed to stay in the lineup and is producing. Would you agree that moving Hardy would become impractical at that point?

If you get to the non-waiver deadline and the O's are trapped in another abysmal season, everyone will be clamoring (with reason) for vets like Hardy to be moved. I get annoyed when you almost have to root for losing.

2005 season says hi.

I don't think that should matter....The long term health of the team is more important.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

2005 season says hi.

I don't think that should matter....The long term health of the team is more important.

It is fine that you think he should be moved regardless of what happens on the field, but the practicality there is lacking. If like in '05, the O's are playing relatively well (and in position to end their consecutive years of losing, with Hardy as one of the reasons why) there is no chance of him being moved.

Of course with a .500 season currently unlikely, that is something to 'worry' about when it occurs. The more likely outcome is that the O's will again be hurting by the deadline, and Hardy will be made available (but not necessarily moved).

#24 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:28 AM

It is fine that you think he should be moved regardless of what happens on the field, but the practicality there is lacking. If like in '05, the O's are playing relatively well (and in position to end their consecutive years of losing, with Hardy as one of the reasons why) there is no chance of him being moved.

Of course with a .500 season currently unlikely, that is something to 'worry' about when it occurs. The more likely outcome is that the O's will again be hurting by the deadline, and Hardy will be made available (but not necessarily moved).

If all we are going to talk about on here is what is practical in terms of the Orioles thinking, this board isn't going to last very long. :D LOL

But yes, I would obviously agree that the Orioles would be short sighted in the scenario you laid out.

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:54 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe he has a partial no-trade clause since were in the discussion of moving him.
@levineps

#26 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

I agree with everyone above me here. Bargain of a contract in a vacuum, but made sense to capitalize on Hardy's trade value. Career year with the bat, above-average defender at premium position, multiple contenders that could have used big upgrades at shortstop. (If they had traded him, maybe they would have targeted a 25-year-old fringy starter, I don't know.) But that's over and done with. Hardy, if healthy, is likely a first division shortstop for most of the contract. But with his health concerns and how defenders age, that's hardly a guarantee. Given the production I expect out of Hardy and the team-friendly nature of the contract, there should be opportunities down the line to trade him (they won't trade him this year).
@BSLLukeJackson

#27 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I could be wrong, but I believe he has a partial no-trade clause since were in the discussion of moving him.

It's an eight-team list that he submits every year so hopefully that wouldn't be too much of a problem down the line. But that could certainly present itself as an issue, sure.
@BSLLukeJackson

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:21 AM

MLB.com / Ghiroli: Hardy gets cortisone shot
http://brittghiroli....cortisone-shot/

#29 richie2621

richie2621
  • Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

Here is an article regarding what J.J. Hardy has to say about beginning the 2012 season.

http://birdzbullpen.... ... -the-year/
Updated O's News http://birdzbullpen.com/talk

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hardy now 5 for 30 to start the year. Bit slow out of the gate. I'm pleased that the shoulder does not seem to be impacting him in the field, and he appears healthy.

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hardy 2 for 3 with the homer, and a walk tonight. Hope this can be a spring-board for him.

#32 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hardy 2 for 3 with the homer, and a walk tonight. Hope this can be a spring-board for him.

I do like that JJ has a 5-6 BB-K ratio this year, after he struck out almost 3 times as many times as he walked a season ago. He's off to a rough start, but I think he's still having solid at bats and has managed 3 homers, so I think there's reason to be optimistic.

@AdamWolff

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Nice ab from Hardy in the 9th, but obviously a poor April overall.

We pointed out in the game thread, there were 3 full months last year (May, June, and September) where Hardy's OPS was right at .700 or below.

Here is to a big May for the O's SS.

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 08:06 AM

CSN Baltimore: Showalter not worried about Hardy
http://www.csnbaltim...852&feedID=6704

#35 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

To me, it seems like Hardy would be better suited hitting 5th. I'd like to see:

Reimold
Markakis
Jones
Wieters
Hardy

I know he did well in the leadoff role last season, but he just seems like more of a 5 guy than a 2 IMO. Plus, Wieters and Jones get on base plenty, so he'd have a good shot to hit with runners on base more often.

@AdamWolff

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,765 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I'd also like to see Hardy moved down until he gets going. His awful OBP is a real drain on the top of the order. I'd move Andino up, as he's been hitting well seemingly all season long.

Reimold
Andino
Markakis
Jones
Wieters
Davis
Betemit
Hardy
Reynolds

Or if you (Buck) really like Andino at the 9 hole, put him there and slide everyone else up a spot.

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

CSN Baltimore: Showalter not worried about Hardy
http://www.csnbaltim...852&feedID=6704

I was kind of expecting a dropoff from him, although didn't think this much. Not too concerned, O's have bigger issues. I was on-board with re-signing him last year, still think it was good move, although wouldn't have been disappointed had we gotten prospects for him.
@levineps

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Hardy has hits in 4 games in a row, and 5 of the last 6. With his HR, and double in the last two games in NY; there is hope he is ready to break out.

If he stays healthy enough to stay in the lineup, he will produce. His arm looks stronger than it did to start the year, leading me to believe his shoulder is feeling better.

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hardy has hits in 4 games in a row, and 5 of the last 6. With his HR, and double in the last two games in NY; there is hope he is ready to break out.

If he stays healthy enough to stay in the lineup, he will produce. His arm looks stronger than it did to start the year, leading me to believe his shoulder is feeling better.

I meant this more in regards to his overall performance, it's nice to see him hitting against the Yankees, which seemed to be his one weakness last year if I recall. He didn't have a great April and was injured May last year, only to put up unbelieveable June numbers warranting a contract extension from what I remember. Hoping to see him repeat this.
@levineps

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:47 PM

Follows up his 5-8 for yesterday, with a 3-4 tonight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=