762 replies to this topic

#721 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 09:17 AM

#Braves outfielder Marcell Ozuna was arrested for DUI and booked into Gwinnett County Jail after 4 a.m. Friday. This is less than 15 months after his arrest on domestic-violence charges, and 11 months after he entered a diversion program and was placed on 6 months probation.

#722 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 19 August 2022 - 09:42 AM

I wonder how much more likely someone who's committed domestic violence is to get a DUI and how much more likely someone who gets a DUI is to commit domestic violence.  Seems like it would be a lot of the same underlying character flaws which allow someone to make each of those decisions.

But since nobody cares about DUIs I'm sure he'll get off without any jailtime or actual repercussions.

#723 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 August 2022 - 01:34 PM

Sandy Alcantara, Zac Gallen, Magneuris Sierra and Daniel Castano for Marcell Ozuna

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#724 BSLJoeLucia

BSLJoeLucia

Sports Media Analyst

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 August 2022 - 03:39 PM

Ozuna's play was poor enough that he probably wasn't going to be on the team next year (maybe even not in September or October), and this latest arrest is the last straw. Fans booed the hell out of him yesterday. Braves are probably hoping he's suspended or they can put him on the restricted list this week. Dude is a cancer on a young, exciting team with very few holes.

In happier news, Vaughn Grissom has been up for two weeks, and while there's a lot of BABIP luck so far (.438 in 12 games!), he's a blast and probably played himself into a role on the 2023 team. That gives the Braves a welcome problem with Albies (and his dirt cheap contract) at second, Riley (and his team-record contract) at third, and Swanson (who they want to re-sign) at short. The easiest solution would be to let Swanson walk and fill the Ozuna-shaped hole in the outfield with *someone* to play alongside Harris and Acuna, but the FA OF market isn't all that great outside of Judge.

#725 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:14 AM

I don’t buy it. A well-established player agent, Casey Close, is going to railroad Freddie Freeman like that? Once Freeman found out, he’d not only lose his commission, but also a litany of clients who would suddenly realize they can no longer trust their agent.

File this one under “BullSnot.” Me thinks Doug Gottlieb was talking out of his ass. 

https://www.espn.com...-atlanta-braves

#726 BSLJoeLucia

BSLJoeLucia

Sports Media Analyst

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 02:18 PM

The amount of people that were saying stuff like "he's on sports radio, he knows what he's talking about" blew my mind at the time. Like, it's Doug Gottlieb! Do you know who you're talking about here? (apparently not)

#727 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 08:16 AM

CBS Sports: Braves complete sweep of Mets, inch closer to National League East title

https://www.cbssport...ast-title/live/

#728 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 October 2022 - 11:58 AM

They may repeat. I wouldn’t want to face them.

#729 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 October 2022 - 07:41 PM

They may repeat. I wouldn’t want to face them.

I'd love to face them.  We'd be in the WS. :)

#730 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 16 November 2022 - 07:47 AM

The Ringer: How Much Should We Believe In Dansby Swanson?

#731 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 09:35 AM

#732 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:46 AM

This is 2023 and the Braves are locking up the core of their team close to or thru 2030.

They aren't just doing it with young guys (Acuna, Albies, Harris, Riley) but selling guys like Olson and Murphy too.  I think Swanson is going to regret his decision.

They have some internal SS options.  They have a couple payroll/performance issues associated with LF and DH and one of tha National pundits said they couldn't extend Fried and would look to trade him.

I know we aren't allowed to do things like it would take, but if we were in the box of being aggressive with opportunity, there's opportunity there.  They don't need top100 prospects.

#733 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 December 2022 - 11:49 AM

...you have to like the way that the fight between the Mets, Braves and Phillies is shaping up.

It's a bad look for Kim Ng and the Marlins that they were supposed to be a team on the rise after their 'rebuild' (and 'Project Wolverine') and they are treading water.

Washington is going to justify losing.

#734 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 12:18 PM

I wonder how much more likely someone who's committed domestic violence is to get a DUI and how much more likely someone who gets a DUI is to commit domestic violence.  Seems like it would be a lot of the same underlying character flaws which allow someone to make each of those decisions.

But since nobody cares about DUIs I'm sure he'll get off without any jailtime or actual repercussions.

I believe some people who indulge in too much alcohol, do things they would never remotely consider when sober.

#735 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 12:25 PM

Its a shame some have proposed trading for the POS that is Ozuna

#736 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:30 PM

I'm thinking either Max Fried or Patrick Corbin.

#737 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 December 2022 - 03:02 PM

So either a #2 starter or someone who would probably be out of baseball if not for his contract. Let’s hope for the former.

#738 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2022 - 04:10 PM

Its a shame some have proposed trading for the POS that is Ozuna

I had not seen this.  Hopefully the Orioles do not have any interest in that guy.

@mikeghg

#739 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2022 - 04:13 PM

So either a #2 starter or someone who would probably be out of baseball if not for his contract. Let’s hope for the former.

Corbin has not been any good since he got paid.

I really don't think Fried is going to be traded, and I would love to see him in orange and black, but I don't think we would deal what it would take to get him.

@mikeghg

#740 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 December 2022 - 10:55 PM

I really don't think Fried is going to be traded, and I would love to see him in orange and black, but I don't think we would deal what it would take to get him.

The Braves don't need anything the Orioles have.  What the Braves need is for someone to eat the Ozuna money.

2035 was (again) trying to throw shade at something I suggested elsewhere.

Swapping Rosario for Stowers (to play LF for them) and taking Ozuna's contract would be huge for them.  They don't need much of anything, they need money.  Stay under the tax and limit when you have to pay additional penalties.

Ozuna is a chip.  I don't want him any more than I want Corbin.  The Orioles could have incentivized a Castillo/CIN and Soto/DC deal by taking Moustakas (released, Reds ate all of his $$) and Corbin.  We'd be sitting in a very different position today.

Players are cost chips.  Maybe you trade Ozuna as a cost chip for another worse contract (I'd have done that with Yelich) but Ozuna doesn't need to come to Baltimore for a physical (if something that isn't going to happen happened) because I'd release him immediately if he wasn't on his way on paper to another organization so they could release him.

I didn't start the Fried thing, Rosenthal or someone else did.  Braves have needs.  Meet those needs.

They could replace Rosario (9M) and Fried (~12M) and Ozuna (18M) in 2023 with Stowers (700k) and Means (soon, 3M) and Mancini (9M). They'd be +27M and have better performance/cost/service/clubhouse players than what they have today.  They've be up 30M next year too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=