762 replies to this topic

#741 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 29 December 2022 - 12:20 AM

The Braves don't need anything the Orioles have. What the Braves need is for someone to eat the Ozuna money.

2035 was (again) trying to throw shade at something I suggested elsewhere.

Swapping Rosario for Stowers (to play LF for them) and taking Ozuna's contract would be huge for them. They don't need much of anything, they need money. Stay under the tax and limit when you have to pay additional penalties.

Ozuna is a chip. I don't want him any more than I want Corbin. The Orioles could have incentivized a Castillo/CIN and Soto/DC deal by taking Moustakas (released, Reds ate all of his $$) and Corbin. We'd be sitting in a very different position today.

Players are cost chips. Maybe you trade Ozuna as a cost chip for another worse contract (I'd have done that with Yelich) but Ozuna doesn't need to come to Baltimore for a physical (if something that isn't going to happen happened) because I'd release him immediately if he wasn't on his way on paper to another organization so they could release him.

I didn't start the Fried thing, Rosenthal or someone else did. Braves have needs. Meet those needs.

They could replace Rosario (9M) and Fried (~12M) and Ozuna (18M) in 2023 with Stowers (700k) and Means (soon, 3M) and Mancini (9M). They'd be +27M and have better performance/cost/service/clubhouse players than what they have today. They've be up 30M next year too.

Every single word of this is rubbish. Again, instead of making up 6 player trades simply answer easy questions posed to you by other poster here.

#742 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 December 2022 - 10:49 AM

Every single word of this is rubbish. Again, instead of making up 6 player trades simply answer easy questions posed to you by other poster here.

I think there were 7 points there and all of them are true.

That doesn't necessarily mean the Braves would move on it...again, I wouldn't necessarily expect the Braves to move Fried, but that was a report (6 of 7 above) so IF the Orioles wanted to be aggressive, there's something to leverage there.  They don't so it's kind of a non-point, but that doesn't mean the opportunity isn't there.

I'd still prefer to extend Means in the same way that I'm suggesting the Braves could.  If Fried isn't extending in Atlanta (they are working everyone, that's the point here) then maybe I can't extend him either so would I prefer Means for 4+1 (out until July) or Friend for 2 and he walks...I could argue for Means.  If Fried let me extend him with Rodon money, so something like 7/175, I'd do that over Means, but there are things we don't know in there. 

We do know the Orioles aren't going to do it, regardless of it's opportunity.

#743 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 29 December 2022 - 02:28 PM

Darragh McDonald had a good roll-up of the current CBT overages in MLBTR this afternoon.

Braves are sitting right around 240M (over 233M) and would be first time payors (setting them up for additional penalties in the future.)

Their difference today is Eddie Rosario (9M)

I like Stowers and if he was in our OF going forward, I'd be ok with that, but today I'd prefer Cowser and his range in LF and I'm not really a develop prospects to get to more prospects guy, so if we wanted to increase the trade value of a kid like Stowers,...

Stowers to ATL for Rosario and [some other stuff] would certainly be available to leverage.

I'll let Bob compete a [some other stuff] package here, but I'll go with the downstream potential of Cole Phillips (RHP), Adam Shoemaker (LHP) and another off the top30 piece.

#744 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 04:36 PM

FanGraphs: Making Sense of the Braves' Shortstop Situation

#745 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:24 AM

ESPN: Inside Ronald Acuna Jr.'s return to MVP form

https://www.espn.com...injury-comeback

#746 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 07:48 AM

Every time this thread bumps I can hear Earl saying  "the f-ing g-damned Atlanta Braves".  

#747 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 06:17 AM

CBS Sports: Braves' Ronald Acuña Jr. steals 40th base, becomes first player in AL or NL history to achieve feat

https://www.cbssport...o-achieve-feat/

#748 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 15 July 2023 - 01:53 PM

ESPN: Atlanta Braves' 2023 season shines in home runs, Acuna, more

https://www.espn.com...acuna-home-runs

#749 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 July 2023 - 02:59 PM

ESPN: Atlanta Braves' 2023 season shines in home runs, Acuna, more

https://www.espn.com...acuna-home-runs

The Braves are a level ahead of the rest of baseball.  Their blueprint is a good one for the Orioles to follow.  decide who your key pieces are and lock them in, then augment them with any spot that is not top shelf.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@mikeghg

#750 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 03:04 PM

Football Outsiders: Braves Add to Bullpen With Trades for Pierce Johnson, Taylor Hearn

#751 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 10:38 AM

#752 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 12:55 PM

The Braves team SLG% of .501 is the highest in baseball history

The 2nd, 3rd and 5th place teams are all marred by the 2019 ‘juiced ball’, and the 2003 Red Sox were roided up to the eyeballs. That leaves the ‘27 and ‘30 Yankees at .488 SLG.

Maybe they’re legit, but we’ve been burned too many times before. Something’s up in Atlanta. 

#753 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,113 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 04:16 PM

They've got, arguably, the best offensive team ever and the best pitching staff in baseball. Big Astros vibes.

#754 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 12 September 2023 - 06:12 AM

#755 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 14 September 2023 - 09:10 AM

#756 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 23 September 2023 - 12:51 PM

#757 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 28 September 2023 - 09:00 AM

#758 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,675 posts

Posted 24 December 2023 - 02:32 PM

FanGraphs: What, Exactly, Are the Braves Up To?

#759 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 December 2023 - 10:34 PM

FanGraphs: What, Exactly, Are the Braves Up To?

That's a good article, although I think Michael missed 2 points (bolded below) that are likely relevant.

Bottom line is this is Cost of Availability.

The article does a good job of walking through all the Players, but the Braves are up to a couple things. They have a lot of roster management to do and they are a competitive club and they have to make a glut of decisions because rules of MLB are coming for elements of their roster. Also, and this should be mentioned in the article, but really isn't, is they have a generally weak, pitching heavy system that doesn't offer much WIN NOW opportunity to the ML club. IF they want to target a guy like Cease at some point, they don't much leeway for that (if even that) and really anything else.

So....find the situations around MLB that you can target the fixes to your 2024+ roster and go execute using money, not prospects, to support your Win Now, Win Later (a lot locked up) and you can pretty easily fix the $$ side heading into 2025.

Not too long ago, Kelenic was a top5 prospect. He's a buy low opportunity, if you meet other things Dipoto wants to do, just have the relationships and the willingness to get things done.

The Braves are doing it without their MiL system. These are the types of things that are always available if Teams are willing to do them. Specifically, when you're willing to do them (and there's bigger ones out there, there always is).

They aren't searching for the best deals and having a million conversations, they identify what the want and the situations they want to leverage and they are going and getting it done, from all aspects of their roster.

#760 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 01:04 PM

Braves have agreed to a new 2-year deal with Sale plus option for 2026.  

The deal is for $16M in 2024, $22M in 2025 and $18M club option for 2026

Previously, Sale was being paid $17.5M in 2024, $20M club option for 2025 and $10M in 2039 deferred from his 2024 salary.

The Braves are getting $17M from the Red Sox this year to account for Sale's salary, so that would apply to either version of the deal.

Essentially they've erased the $10M of deferred payments in 2039 while adding 2026 option for the cost of guaranteeing the original 2025 option.

It's fascinating in its mundanity.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=