#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

Well, technically used.  I know very little about cars but I've got it narrowed down to these two (I think).  Yes, they are very different but that just goes to show that I'm not in love with any one type of car.

Thoughts on either?

http://www.russelbmw...ccf764f6efb.htm

http://www.heritagej...aredo-v1424449/

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

Do NOT buy a car from any Russell dealership...they are the worst and have a terrible reputation.

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Do NOT buy a car from any Russell dealership...they are the worst and have a terrible reputation.

Interesting. Personal horror story?

@bopper33

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:59 PM

Interesting. Personal horror story?

No..but my brother had an issue with them years ago and I know they have a terrible rep.

My father in law(who is the fixed op director at the jeep dealership in Hunt Valley) used to work at the Westminster Toyota dealership....he said the Russell Toyota dealership has a bad rep even within the industry.

I did go up there recently to look at a 4runner and I had the worst customer service.

They have routinely had issues with customer service, not backing up what they say, etc....

I'm sure some have had good experiences but I know I wouldn't ever give them my money.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Btw...I'm not sure about the 2012 but I know the 2013 GC gets good ratings....but I would sit in it.

I wasn't comfortable in it at all although the inside was nice.

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Taking a test drive tomorrow.

@bopper33

#7 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

I'd go with the BMW myself.

#8 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

I'd go with the BMW myself.

Its clearly the better car...its just a matter of mileage, what you want out of a car, etc...

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

BTW...I will always recommend CarMax. 

They give you good deals and its the easiest car buying experience ever.  100 times better than any dealership.

#10 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

My wife bought her VS EOS at a Russell dealership...didn't have any issues and she takes it there for service covered for the first 3 years.

I'm in the process of buying a new compact SUV. My '05 Mariner is leaking oil through the timing and valve cover gaskets and the rear diff is going up, making for a loud drive. I'm trying to stay under $30K but with all the feeeeexins the price is getting above that mark for some vehicles. I am looking at '13's mostly to take advantage of some of the year end incentives like 0.0% for 60 months.

So far I've test driven:

Hyundai Tuscon - not bad, a tad small but overall not a bad vehicle for the price and a great warranty.

Buick Encore - thought the luxury would overwhelm the small engine and space inside, but beside a heated steering wheel I was underwhelmed.

Kia Sportage - very similar to the Tuscon, same size, same warranty, but sportier inside and out with a 250 HP turbo engine.

Nissan Rogue - loved this. Absolutely loved it. Above my price range and they're offering no incentives on '14. I'm not crazy for the '13 and they re-did the whole vehicle for 2014.

Toyota Rav4 - I really liked this too. Lots of space inside but the ride wasn't as smooth as I expected from a Toyota.

I am going to look at Mazda CX5, Ford Edge & Escape tonight. I may also squeeze in the Focus ST since it's sporty as hell and I really like the look of it and it still has decent cargo room.

Basically it's going to come down to best price first, power and comfort second. My wife gets a deal from Ford through her work and my dad's best friend works at Kia so I am thinking he might be able to hook me up too, so it may come down between them but we're seeing some really great prices for Rav4's and they're sold new at the Laurel Carmax too.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#11 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

My wife bought her VS EOS at a Russell dealership...didn't have any issues and she takes it there for service covered for the first 3 years.

I'm in the process of buying a new compact SUV. My '05 Mariner is leaking oil through the timing and valve cover gaskets and the rear diff is going up, making for a loud drive. I'm trying to stay under $30K but with all the feeeeexins the price is getting above that mark for some vehicles. I am looking at '13's mostly to take advantage of some of the year end incentives like 0.0% for 60 months.

So far I've test driven:

Hyundai Tuscon - not bad, a tad small but overall not a bad vehicle for the price and a great warranty.

Buick Encore - thought the luxury would overwhelm the small engine and space inside, but beside a heated steering wheel I was underwhelmed.

Kia Sportage - very similar to the Tuscon, same size, same warranty, but sportier inside and out with a 250 HP turbo engine.

Nissan Rogue - loved this. Absolutely loved it. Above my price range and they're offering no incentives on '14. I'm not crazy for the '13 and they re-did the whole vehicle for 2014.

Toyota Rav4 - I really liked this too. Lots of space inside but the ride wasn't as smooth as I expected from a Toyota.

I am going to look at Mazda CX5, Ford Edge & Escape tonight. I may also squeeze in the Focus ST since it's sporty as hell and I really like the look of it and it still has decent cargo room.

Basically it's going to come down to best price first, power and comfort second. My wife gets a deal from Ford through her work and my dad's best friend works at Kia so I am thinking he might be able to hook me up too, so it may come down between them but we're seeing some really great prices for Rav4's and they're sold new at the Laurel Carmax too.

Early last year when I was looking at the compact SUV's, I had compared a bunch like you have. I wound up narrowing my choices to the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and the Ford Escape. I was almost ready to get the Toyota RAV4 (great reviews), but I wound up getting the Ford Escape. At the time,Toyota wasn't offering any special financing and I was able to get the 0% from Ford. I have no complaints or issues with the Escape that I bought though.

Good luck!  

@MKlein76

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:54 PM

I can't give away too much online, but I can say that buying new cars is much different than it was a couple years ago. It's not about negotiating anymore because of the amount of information easily available online. It's all about incentives/rebates/and finance rates, so getting a good deal has much more to do with credit worthiness than negotiating a good sale price now.

• MKlein76 likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#13 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,340 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

My dad owns a 1997 BMW 3-series. He bought it in 1999. He currently has over 230,000 miles on it and it's still going very strong. Not all BMW's are very reliable, but the 3-series certainly is. Great car.

@BSLZackKiesel

#14 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

The Spanish pronunciation of "Jeep" is accurate.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#15 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

So last night I test drove CX5, CRV and Jeep Cherokee.

Liked all 3 and especially loved the Jeep and liked the CRV much more than I thought I would since I always saw moms driving them and never saw any top trim versions of the car.

This morning I drove the 2014 Escape and a 2013 Edge.

I ended up with the Edge. It turned out cheaper than the Escape which I really, really liked but I've always liked the Edges and the ride and power was great. Plenty of room inside, and the Sync features are awesome. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a sunroof and AWD but after having an AWD Mariner for 8 years that ended up with a shot rear differential, I realized I never really needed AWD except for the snow which we get badly, what, 1-2 times a year? It does have leather and a great powerful V6 engine.

In a perfect world I would have gotten the AWD but I was shocked at how much all these cars were. they all topped out over 30k. I think I did pretty good considering and I waited out the dealer a bit who gave me more for the trade in for a car that had a shot rear differential, was leaking oil and power steering fluid, and they saw it right away.
  • SammyBirdland likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#16 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:44 PM

Well, I'll tell you one place not to buy your car..

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

@AdamWolff

#17 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

So last night I test drove CX5, CRV and Jeep Cherokee.

Liked all 3 and especially loved the Jeep and liked the CRV much more than I thought I would since I always saw moms driving them and never saw any top trim versions of the car.

This morning I drove the 2014 Escape and a 2013 Edge.

I ended up with the Edge. It turned out cheaper than the Escape which I really, really liked but I've always liked the Edges and the ride and power was great. Plenty of room inside, and the Sync features are awesome. The only drawback is that it doesn't have a sunroof and AWD but after having an AWD Mariner for 8 years that ended up with a shot rear differential, I realized I never really needed AWD except for the snow which we get badly, what, 1-2 times a year? It does have leather and a great powerful V6 engine.

In a perfect world I would have gotten the AWD but I was shocked at how much all these cars were. they all topped out over 30k. I think I did pretty good considering and I waited out the dealer a bit who gave me more for the trade in for a car that had a shot rear differential, was leaking oil and power steering fluid, and they saw it right away.

Figures I buy a car without AWD right before we get the snowiest winter in years! That said, I haven't had any problems so far and I am thinking about buying some snow cables/tire sock for future snow driving.

#18 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Well, I'll tell you one place not to buy your car..

Where's that?

#19 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

BTW, this was the oddest bump ever.  A poster came here, made his only post here bumping this thread (which has since been deleted), and that's it.

@bopper33

#20 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,735 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

Ugh, cars are my kryptonite.  I'm always looking to see what else is out there.  I have a 2011 Taurus and my wife drives an '09 Escape.   We currently have two kids, but if we have one more I think we may trade a vehicle in to get something with 3rd row seating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=