Photo

How to improve college hoops - Jay Bilas (Insider)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

ESPN: How to improve college hoops (Insider)

http://insider.espn....l-espn-magazine

There is no shot clock in the world that is as long as the 35 seconds in men's college hoops. The NBA (24 seconds), FIBA (24 seconds), the WNBA (24 seconds) and women's college basketball (30 seconds) all operate successfully with shorter shot clocks. That is embarrassing.

@levineps

#2 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

That'd be a great idea. Otherwise, I don't know how you could make it any better. The conference tourneys and nat'l tournament is probably the best in the biz. Aside from harsher penalties and more policing of recruiting violations, but that's major college sports overall, what else could you do?
@BSLMikeRandall

#3 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

Lol at womens college basketball having a shorter shot clock than mens. I actually didn't know the women were at 30 now. That had to of just changed recently.

Anyway, the first thought I had when I saw the topic was shorten the shotclock. It's so obvious. For some reason I thought that the NCAA had decided to make that change in the mens game but I guess not. It has to at least go down to 30 sec. Hopefully, 25.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

That'd be a great idea. Otherwise, I don't know how you could make it any better. The conference tourneys and nat'l tournament is probably the best in the biz. Aside from harsher penalties and more policing of recruiting violations, but that's major college sports overall, what else could you do?

One of Bilas ideas I didn't highlight is making the officials full-time salaried instead of being independent contractors. The only real incentive he was saying for the officials right now besides the obvious (you don't want to get fired) is the ability to work the tourney.

I agree with you March Madness is the best in North American sports. I think it's a double edged sword though, makes the regular season less relevant IMO for some teams and puts a lot more weight in March. In terms of getting the casual fan interested you can't argue with this model IMO.

@levineps

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Lol at womens college basketball having a shorter shot clock than mens. I actually didn't know the women were at 30 now. That had to of just changed recently.

Anyway, the first thought I had when I saw the topic was shorten the shotclock. It's so obvious. For some reason I thought that the NCAA had decided to make that change in the mens game but I guess not. It has to at least go down to 30 sec. Hopefully, 25.

Agreed it should go down to 30.

When I was in high school, the girls had a shot clock and the boys didn't. I thought that was strange.

@levineps

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

Bilas brought this up at the ACC Media Day with the Coaches. Most were in favor of the move. There was mention by some that with the zone defenses used in college, that a 24 second shot would be very difficult. Most favored the move to 30 seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=