• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

Good to see him on a fast path to recovery. I am fairly curious to see what he offers this year.

I feel like even if he is physically ready by the end of ST, they will still send him to extended ST... mainly to avoid factoring him into a roster decision.

To make that a reality, I would think we will hear shortly that they are slowing him down.

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:10 AM

MLB.com: Wada taking next step in rehab
http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ok_bal&c_id=bal

#43 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

I feel like even if he is physically ready by the end of ST, they will still send him to extended ST... mainly to avoid factoring him into a roster decision.

To make that a reality, I would think we will hear shortly that they are slowing him down.

They don't have to slow him down. Even if he pitched in a game next week, they could say that it would take another month to build his innings up, minimum.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

They don't have to slow him down. Even if he pitched in a game next week, they could say that it would take another month to build his innings up, minimum.

I wrote that 2/22.. when he had pitched off a 1/2 mound several times in a week, and was on the verge of pitching off a full-mound, and he was alluding that he was close to being ready for more.

That said, I agree with you here. Starting now/next week, he is going to need that additional time to build up.

#45 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Wada transferred to the 60 day DL.

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

When would he be eligible to return off the 60-day? 

#47 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

When would he be eligible to return off the 60-day? 

Tomorrow I think.  He's been on the DL since before the start of last season.

I don't think this impacts him at all.  Just the easiest move to do to get this new guy onto the 40-man.  if they need the spot later, then they'll make a decision on somebody.  Might as well defer it as long as possible.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

MASN: http://www.masnsport...nd-urrutia.html

Left-hander Tsuyoshi Wada started the extended game and threw three innings and 45 pitches. He will be stretched out to four innings and 60 pitches in his next outing in Florida.

#49 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

@EddieInTheYard: Tsuyoshi Wada pitched 6 IP -- 1 more than scheduled -- in extended spring game, Threw 76 pitches, allowing 3 H, 1 HR w/ 4 K & 2 BB. #orioles

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

I think he is a good bet to end the season with 10+ starts.

#51 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:41 PM

This may be a bit premature but Tsuyoshi Wada should be starting his MiL rehab assignment in the next few days. At the end of his 30 days, he'll have to join the big club.

How the heck does he fit on to the 25 man roster? How are we going to make room? We don't have a lot of guys with options and the ones that have options aren't going anywhere.

Are we just going to hope that either injury or ineffectiveness will create a spot? Or are we going to be forced to DFA someone or swing a trade?

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#52 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Is there any reason that he can't just be optioned to Norfolk at the end of his rehab stint?  Is that a clause in the deal he signed last offseason?

I've got zero expectations for him.  Anything he can give us is gravy.  I'd be surprised if he's more than one of the last few guys in the bullpen at any point this season, though.  Maybe if McFarland ends up in the rotation then Wada takes his spot as the long man in the pen.

#53 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

I highly doubt all the starters will be effective when he comes back. If they are it'll be a good problem. I'd imagine McFarland would be the one to be gone if nobody is doing bad.

#54 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Is there any reason that he can't just be optioned to Norfolk at the end of his rehab stint?  Is that a clause in the deal he signed last offseason?

I've got zero expectations for him.  Anything he can give us is gravy.  I'd be surprised if he's more than one of the last few guys in the bullpen at any point this season, though.  Maybe if McFarland ends up in the rotation then Wada takes his spot as the long man in the pen.

I'm pretty sure that his deal does not include any options. However, I'm having a hard time confirming it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any high expectations for Wada but since we're paying the guy $4.2 mill this year I'd like to see us get something out of him.

Also, since we hold an affordable option ($5 mill) for next year it would behoove us to see if he can be someone that could be a part of the 2014 club.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:05 PM

I'm pretty sure that his deal does not include any options. However, I'm having a hard time confirming it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any high expectations for Wada but since we're paying the guy $4.2 mill this year I'd like to see us get something out of him.

Also, since we hold an affordable option ($5 mill) for next year it would behoove us to see if he can be someone that could be a part of the 2014 club.

As I understand it, there is no difference in having options for Japanese players as opposed to drafted American players.  Everybody gets 3 (or sometimes 4) options. 

What I don't know, is if Wada insisted on a clause in his deal which said the Orioles could not option him without his consent, essentially superceding the option system, or similar to how a player with 5+ years of service cannot be optioned without consent.

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

Here is Jon's piece on the 40-man and options remaining - http://baltimorespor...-40-man-552013/

Not exactly sure how to read it, but I think Wada has 3 options remaining...

#57 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

As I understand it, there is no difference in having options for Japanese players as opposed to drafted American players.  Everybody gets 3 (or sometimes 4) options. 

What I don't know, is if Wada insisted on a clause in his deal which said the Orioles could not option him without his consent, essentially superceding the option system, or similar to how a player with 5+ years of service cannot be optioned without consent.

I thought I had heard something to this effect, that Wada couldn't be optioned without his consent.

Rick, it looks to me like everyone on that chart with "options" color coded in red mean either those options are burned (those show the dates the options were used) or if there's no date, they just don't have options. If you look at the guys with the color code green and the letter "O" in the option column (Flaherty, Hoes, Machado, Schoop, etc), I'm guessing they have options.

@primetime667083

#58 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

Here is Jon's piece on the 40-man and options remaining - http://baltimorespor...-40-man-552013/

Not exactly sure how to read it, but I think Wada has 3 options remaining...

Right, he's definitely technically got the options, and unless he's got a clause that he (and his agent) specifically negotiated with the Orioles, then he could be sent down.  It wouldn't shock me if a clause like that was part of his deal since he is a veteran pitcher (at least in Japan) and I doubt he'd want to risk being sent down and shuttling around the minors on a bus.  If he doesn't have a clause like that, then I think he definitely gets optioned to Norfolk once his rehab time is complete.

#59 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:48 PM

I thought I had heard something to this effect, that Wada couldn't be optioned without his consent.

I believe this is correct.

@BSLLukeJackson

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

MASN: Wada decision awaits the O's
http://www.masnsport...he-orioles.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users