You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Fairly certain they are guaranteed.

Thanks - Not like it matters, but I'm just curious. I don't know as much as I should about Asian baseball.

#22 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks - Not like it matters, but I'm just curious. I don't know as much as I should about Asian baseball.

I don't know much, at all. I've followed Patrick Newman over at NPBTracker for quite a while, but that just went on a hiatus.

I like looking at possible targets for the future. On a semi-related note, still wish we had gone after Norichika Aoki.

#23 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...e-elbow-surgery
According to ESPN, Wada is definitely going to have the Tommy John surgery. Buck sounds optimistic though that this is the problem and that Wada should be ready next year.
@mrbeanage

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Will be interesting to hear how Wada progresses over the Winter, and looks next Spring. I know a lot of people were not optimistic about his chances as a starter, but I was really looking forward to seeing him pitch.

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:48 PM

MLB.com: Wada progressing ahead of schedule
http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ey=notebook_bal

"Wada, who had left elbow ligament replacement surgery in May, won't have a regular winter, but Showalter said the pitcher -- signed last winter out of Japan -- is further along than expected.

"I know that's kind of under the radar," Showalter said of Wada, who never made it out of Spring Training due to elbow discomfort. "We have a chance to get a good pitcher a lot sooner than some people think. I'm not going to say the start of the season until we get down to spring. I think he's going to be healthy and ready to go earlier than people think.

"We've got nothing but rave reviews on his work habits. The doctor's real happy with the surgery. He's got a chance to really give us a shot in the arm."

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

So, if Wada is ahead of schedule - where does he factor in, if he is ready to go in Spring Training?

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:34 AM

So, if Wada is ahead of schedule - where does he factor in, if he is ready to go in Spring Training?

He's in an even less reliable boat than Reimold and Roberts, IMO. Go into the season expecting nothing from them, and we won't be disappointed. Any time they get will be hard-earned and any performance we get out of them will be complete gravy.

I don't think the team will have this exact approach, Roberts will probably have the inside track at the 2B job and Reimold at least for a platoon split at LF or DH. Wada they'll probably have in the mix for 5th starter or lefty out of the pen and is probably part of the reason they haven't signed a SP and have considered trading some other 5th starter / lefty bullpen options like Matusz and Britton.

#28 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:56 PM

We have pretty good depth in the rotation. I would like to see one more Hammel quality starter but number wise we have enough people that should make it so anything we get out of Wada is a plus. Make him earn his way to a spot. If he becomes a contributor like Chen was then great if not we should be OK.
@mikeghg

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:21 PM

Answering my own question, my thought on Wada has been that he would likely be a candidate for extended Spring Training. That the O's would use that to 'hide' him as long as possible, and then promote him, when required, likely to the bullpen.

If he is ready to go out of Spring Training, he could be an option for the 5th starter, if the O's moved a couple of the other arms via trade. More likely, he would be an option out of the pen. Of course, right now you are looking at Patton, Matusz (if he is not the 5th), and the Rule V pick as other lefty pen options.

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Answering my own question, my thought on Wada has been that he would likely be a candidate for extended Spring Training. That the O's would use that to 'hide' him as long as possible, and then promote him, when required, likely to the bullpen.

If he is ready to go out of Spring Training, he could be an option for the 5th starter, if the O's moved a couple of the other arms via trade. More likely, he would be an option out of the pen. Of course, right now you are looking at Patton, Matusz (if he is not the 5th), and the Rule V pick as other lefty pen options.

I would go with Britton or Matusz over Wada in the rotation, but I could see him breaking camp as another lefty out of the pen. Hard to say with the Asian FA guys.
@JeremyMStrain

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:37 PM

I would go with Britton or Matusz over Wada in the rotation, but I could see him breaking camp as another lefty out of the pen. Hard to say with the Asian FA guys.

I would also go with Britton or Matusz. My point was if they are not there, and he is physically ready; he could be an option.

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:39 PM

I would also go with Britton or Matusz. My point was if they are not there, and he is physically ready; he could be an option.

Really hope you're wrong ;) Probably aren't though.

Didn't like him as a starter when he wasn't coming off an injury, think his best chance is hidden in short spurts out of the pen, like Koji.
@JeremyMStrain

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Really hope you're wrong ;) Probably aren't though.

Didn't like him as a starter when he wasn't coming off an injury, think his best chance is hidden in short spurts out of the pen, like Koji.

Yeah, well you weren't a fan of Hammel and if I recall correctly, Chen too. ;)

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:14 AM

Yeah, well you weren't a fan of Hammel and if I recall correctly, Chen too. ;)

Not at all on Hammel, I liked Chen more than Wada, and didn't mind for his $$ amount, but didn't want to spend what some people were suggesting. Didn't agree with Wada at ALL for that amount.
@JeremyMStrain

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

CSN Baltimore: O's can't wait for Wada to show off
http://www.csnbaltim...-wait-wada-show

#36 bmoreb

bmoreb
  • Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Since we appear to not be signing top of the rotation pitchers, Wada could prove to be very important. His #'s in Japan were nice.

#37 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Who else are they going to talk about? They aren't signing anyone. Of course they're going to build up Wada.
@PeterDiLutis

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:38 AM

Hardball Talk: Wada not expected back until May or June
http://hardballtalk....il-may-or-june/

I've expected Wada to be heading to extended ST, so this does not surprise me. I could see him actually being ready earlier, but there is no reason to push things. The O's can bring him along slowly, not forcing a roster decision, and perhaps have another arm that can contribute relatively early in the season.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:47 AM

MASN: Wada throws off half-mound
http://www.masnsport...half-mound.html

#40 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch

Wada is throwing off a half mound again today. 3rd time this week. Supposed to throw off regular mound Monday #orioles

Good to see him on a fast path to recovery. I am fairly curious to see what he offers this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=