• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

So, as reported everywhere, Maryland is hosting Michigan transfer Evan Smotrycz today.

Smotrycz was a 4 star Top 60 player in the Class of 2010. At 6'9, 235 lbs, he has plenty of size. He is known as a step-back 3pt shooting PF. With Cleare, Mitchell, and Len (if he is still around) dominating the ball in the lower post; having a PF that could open things up from outside would be nice.

Some might suggest that Layman can be that type, but at 190 lbs Layman is more of a 3.

This year with Michigan, Smotrycz averaged 7.5 points, 4.8 boards, and shot 43% from 3. He scored in double-figures 12 times, but struggled during Big Ten play.

I saw a couple of different write-ups from Michigan sites after his announced departure. Several of them described his play as inconsistent, and lackadaisical. I see where his skill-set could help MD, but count me as one that would have rather had Parker stay (and be eligible next year), vs. effectively replacing him with Smotrycz (and having to wait until '13-'14 for him to contribute).

Maybe that thought process is unfair though, as Smotrycz would really be replacing a departing Padgett. If Smotrycz comes to MD, he will have the advantage of practicing and improving during all of next year.

If you were to add Smotrycz, the Terps in '13-'14 would currently look like:

Guards: Stoglin (Sr), Howard (Sr), Allen (Soph)
Wings: Faust (Jr), Layman (Soph)
Bigs: Pankey (Jr), Len (Jr), Cleare (Soph), Dodd (Soph), Mitchell (Soph), Smotrycz (Junior)

Even with his ability to shoot from the outside, that would be a very crowded Front-Court. There would be two spots open (1 if Cassell, Jr were to join the Terps).

#2 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:09 AM

Today, Evan Smotrycz committed to play basketball for the University of Maryland. There are mixed feelings about this for multiple reasons.

This adds one more big man for the Terps squad which can be both good and bad. The good part is the fact that for the last 5 or 6 years, Maryland has either had a small front-court or a good sized one with limited numbers. Now maryland has a not only big in size and numbers front court, but one of the most talented front courts. The bad part is the fact that playing time will have to be shared because every big man on the team has the talent and ability to deserve playing time.

The odd man out in all of this would be Ashton Pankey. I believe he can develop into a good option at the 4 but he is obviously less talented than Cleare and will be pushed for playing time because i believe Cleare can play the 4 as well as he can the 5.

I have 2 potential solutions to this issue. One of which is i honestly dont believe Len is going to stick it out beyond next season. If he doesn't develop into an NBA prospect i honestly believe he'll do what Hawk did and go back home and play ball there. I could be wrong but its just my gut feeling as of right now and that would shore up some playing time to the others. The other solution is moving faust to the 2 guard position and letting Layman and Evan split time there. Yes, Evan is 6'9 but the way he plays is like a 3. He is an outside in type of player so the 3 honestly wouldnt be a stretch for him to play (Layman is 6'8 so obviously that inch isnt a big difference). This will obviously depend on evan's ball-handling which i haven't seen him play enough to get a good gauge of how well he handles the ball.

I believe Turgeon knows what he is doing and he wouldnt take on another big man that can play if he didnt know it was a need. What Maryland has lacked for so long is depth in the front court to go along with size. We have been asking for this for years now and we can't be upset now that we have it. The key to competing in the ACC is the front court and we now have the front court to counter Duke and UNC. Let's go get it!
@Langley486

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:13 AM

Credit to Inside MD Sports for breaking the news...

https://twitter.com/...877155158892544

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Turgeon continues to recruit at an impressive rate, and I think the Terps will be very good for the foreseeable future.

Honestly, I have lost much of my knowledge on the Terps' roster and their recruits because most of my "basketball time" is spent on Xavier and the A10. But, I watched a bit of Smotrycz's highlights when he decided to transfer because he listed X as an option. He's more of a stretch 4 player who can go behind the arc and hit the 3 when need be. It'll be interesting to see what Turgeon does with his team in 2013-2014, because it is very difficult to defend against teams with a 6'9" power forward who can shoot the 3.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Ok. How the hell do you pronounce this guy's last name?

#6 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:23 PM

Just call him Smo!
@Langley486

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

Here is how I see things in regards to the frontcourt. I think that Pankey is likely to transfer, Dodd likely will never end up at MD(if he does he redshirts), and Len will be gone by next year. BTW is it a 100% certainty that he is back for next year??

#8 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

In my head I'm going with 'Smot-tricks'. No clue if that is correct or even close, though.

@AdamWolff

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Just heard Ken Weinman pronounce it Smot-tis.

Rhymes with snot-piss :D

I'm sure one of the early interviews with him will include a question about the pronunciation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=