• This topic is locked This topic is locked
548 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

The Ravens head to Pittsburgh, looking to improve to 4-3 heading to their bye.

This Game Thread is brought to you c/o Diamond Wholesalers.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

Up in the Burgh for the game... anyone else going to be there?

#3 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

Good luck!!

I've never done a road game before. The trip itself sounds like fun but I don't think it would be fun to be at the game itself. Given how Ravens fans harrass visiting fans, it doesn't seem like it would be a good time but that is of course my perception. I don't want to have to dress in neutral colors and not overtly cheer.

Have you done any other road games before? How does it go in general?

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

Good luck!!

I've never done a road game before. The trip itself sounds like fun but I don't think it would be fun to be at the game itself. Given how Ravens fans harrass visiting fans, it doesn't seem like it would be a good time but that is of course my perception. I don't want to have to dress in neutral colors and not overtly cheer.

Have you done any other road games before? How does it go in general?

Yes, a few times in Pittsburgh, D.C., Carolina and Indianapolis a few years ago in the playoffs. In general, it's not bad at all, but Pittsburgh is the most hostile by far. But it doesn't bother me. I don't talk back to them at all, and just keep drinking and keep rooting on my team (while not going crazy or anything).

Indianapolis was awesome, despite the loss... the atmosphere there was amazing, and there were a TON of Ravens fans. 

Carolina was the most fun though. It was a couple years ago, and probably more Ravens fans there than Panthers fans. Tailgating sucked in Carolina though.

#5 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

But about the game....road games all carry the same keys for me; start fast, win the turnover battle and you're going to be in a good position to win the game.

Pittsburgh has some things we can exploit, poor OLine play, Roethlisberger has had some turnover issues, run defense has been shoddy, their safeties are old and liabilities in coverage.

I think we should force the tempo early on, come out in no huddle/hurry up from the jump, spread the field and force Polamalu try to cover someone (which he literally cannot do anymore). If we can score early, get a lead, I think we may be able to make this one a laugher; running contrary to many of the recent Ravens-Steelers matchups.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#6 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yes, a few times in Pittsburgh, D.C., Carolina and Indianapolis a few years ago in the playoffs. In general, it's not bad at all, but Pittsburgh is the most hostile by far. But it doesn't bother me. I don't talk back to them at all, and just keep drinking and keep rooting on my team (while not going crazy or anything).

Indianapolis was awesome, despite the loss... the atmosphere there was amazing, and there were a TON of Ravens fans. 

Carolina was the most fun though. It was a couple years ago, and probably more Ravens fans there than Panthers fans. Tailgating sucked in Carolina though.

Gotcha. I got turned off to road games after I did a preseason game in DC back in 2003. Got free tix from a friend in the club level. (FedEx Field is a dump IMO) It was 4 of us, 2 couples, we just went to our seats and were trying to enjoy the game. No crazy cheering, didn't start anything but literally got harassed the entire time we were there. Skins fans said nasty things to my fiancee, threw stuff at us, etc. It was brutal.

And I know that this was one bad experience and it's more than likely not an across the board thing but it was enough to turn me off to road games.

Funny store about that night though. LaVar Arrington was in his very, very short prime in 2003. He makes a tackle for a loss, a guy 2 rows in front of me turns around, looks directly at me and says "That's our Ray Lewis. Except without the knife!!", while making a stabbing motion. Having reached my breaking point, I stand up, look the guy dead in the eye and fire back, "Yeah, and without the ring, so sit down and shut the f#$! up!!".

At that point, we decided the evening was over. : )

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@primetime667083

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Bring a W home with ya!

I haven't gotten to a game up there yet. I'd love to, but my road trip friends are a little hesitant to put up with the harassment that'll come with the territory. I don't think I'll be taking my fiance up there either.  

@BSLMikeRandall

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

I've seen road games in:

-Washington
-Buffalo
-Tennessee
-San Diego
-Detroit
-Houston
-Cincinnati
-Cleveland

Only place i was treated rudely was Detroit. Although I didn't disclose my fandom in Cleveland.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

I've been to Detroit too... forgot about that. That was the game the Lions beat us in back in the Billick years and we committed like 21 penalties or something ridiculous like that. Fans were fine to me though.

Anyway, why no Pittsburgh Pedro?

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Lots of Ravens fans in Indy or is it a popular destination for Ravens fans given the history?

@levineps

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

Lots of Ravens fans in Indy or is it a popular destination for Ravens fans given the history?

Just traveled well that weekend. A Baltimore native, who managed the Howl At The Moon piano bar downtown hosted a Ravens tailgate party. That was amazing.

#12 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Was in Pitt last weekend Ricker, shame we didn't end up there the same weekend, would have been fun to have a beer!

Considering participating in a game thread as a fan of the enemy. BSL Suicide?

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

@AdamWolff

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Was in Pitt last weekend Ricker, shame we didn't end up there the same weekend, would have been fun to have a beer!

Considering participating in a game thread as a fan of the enemy. BSL Suicide?

A lot of game threads bring suicidal thoughts....

I know as a Ravens fan I'm supposed to hate the Steelers.... but I honestly don't feel it. I don't like them, but I don't feel any more animosity to Pittsburgh than I do with the Bengals or Browns. The only real difference is that I've respected what the Steelers organization has accomplished over the years.

I am going to guess it would be more enjoyable for you to pretend this thread doesn't exist though lol.

Go Ravens!

• Adam Wolff likes this

#14 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

Haha I feel the same way about the Ravens, Chris. I don't hate them at all really. Maybe it's because I'm an O's fan, so I'm partial to Baltimore, but there's no hatred from me. I respect the hell out of the Ravens as an organization, I think there are a lot of similarities to the Steelers and that they're both two of the premier organizations in the NFL. And I love Steelers/Ravens games. I don't get nearly as worked up about Steelers games these days, as opposed to a big O's game, so I might be able to handle this thread. I'll check in here periodically :)

@AdamWolff

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

http://www.baltimore..._medium=twitter

This article makes me happy and pisses me off at the same time.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

http://www.baltimore..._medium=twitter

This article makes me happy and pisses me off at the same time.

Happy that it is being addressed? Pissed off that the scheme was changed, and players had to bring it up to the Coaches?

It's yet another article pointing to the RB's not being healthy, despite Rice's claims that he is now about right.
Hopefully things look better with the run game today. I'm sure they will after the bye.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:45 PM

Happy that it is being addressed? Pissed off that the scheme was changed, and players had to bring it up to the Coaches?

It's yet another article pointing to the RB's not being healthy, despite Rice's claims that he is now about right.
Hopefully things look better with the run game today. I'm sure they will after the bye.

Yes.

Why do you go away from what works and is the strength of your line, at least it seems?

This is the type of stuff that makes Branden and other question Harbaugh as a coach....and you know what, that is justified.

Total bs that it has taken this long.

Btw, have no doubt the RBs have been banged up....but I don't know of any injury Rice had in training camp and injured or not, they need to be better or they need to be sitting.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Inactives: linebacker Josh Bynes, defensive tackle Terrence Cody, guard Jah Reid, center Ryan Jensen, tackle Bryant McKinnie, wide receiver Brandon Stokley, defensive end DeAngelo Tyson.

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Extra lineman for Pittsburgh to start the game... Brown with a catch, moves the chains.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,357 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

Gilbert with a false start.

Arthur Brown starting...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=