• Please log in to reply
838 replies to this topic

#21 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 739 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

I see they named Tony DeFrancesco as the interim manager.

I guess many of you have no idea who Tony D is, but I'll tell you how I know who he is. A couple of years ago when the Orioles appeared to be on the verge of dumping Dave Trembley SG started a message board campaign to get the Orioles to hire DeFrancesco (he was with the A's at the time). Even though I know little to nothing about DeFrancesco I'm happy to see him get his chance. Hopefully he'll do SG proud (even though with that roster he better get a shot past this season and next).
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

The game has changed, but after seeing the '88 and '89 O's, I do believe that type of roster turnover is possible.

Are you saying it's likely that 22 out of the 25 currently on this team won't be on the Opening Day roster?
@levineps

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

Are you saying it's likely that 22 out of the 25 currently on this team won't be on the Opening Day roster?

No, don't know their roster or system will enough. Logically though there will be major turnover, and that turnover is easier to accomplish on a team that bottoms out.

Additionally Houston is the 4th largest city in the Country, the team is moving to the AL, and it is also a franchise that has been competitive for the most of the last two decades. Will be a lot of internal pressure to roll over the roster and give the fanbase new hope.

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

No, don't know their roster or system will enough. Logically though there will be major turnover, and that turnover is easier to accomplish on a team that bottoms out.

Additionally Houston is the 4th largest city in the Country, the team is moving to the AL, and it is also a franchise that has been competitive for the most of the last two decades. Will be a lot of internal pressure to roll over the roster and give the fanbase new hope.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying in the last paragraph.

I think there will be significant turnover, but it's just not realistic IMO to replace virtually the entire roster overnight on most sports teams.

That's why the manager or head coach always gets the boot instead of the players since they are a lot easier/cheaper to replace. Finding a sports talent is harder than finding management to do those jobs.
@levineps

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

ESPN: Astros Open to Roger Clemens return

http://espn.go.com/m...s-owner-open-it

Not expecting it all, and this would be a publicity stunt for a rebuilding team.
@levineps

#26 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

http://nbcsports.msn...om/id/48792128/

3 1/3 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 K

For the record, assuming Clemens:

1) Continues pitching for Sugar Land (the Astros and Royals had scouts at the game, and he's obviously looking for a contract)

2) Pitches in a regular five-man rotation (I don't know how the rotations work in the Atlantic League)

3) Pitches in road games (he had arrangements to only pitch at home with MAJOR league teams, so I can't imagine it would be otherwise for the Skeeters)

...he would be set to pitch against the Revolution in York on September 5. Not that I'm counting or anything.

*Runs off to check tickets again*

#27 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

ESPN: Astros Open to Roger Clemens return

http://espn.go.com/m...s-owner-open-it

Not expecting it all, and this would be a publicity stunt for a rebuilding team.

I'm a believing that Clemens will sign with the Astros, thus delaying his eligibility for the Hall of Fame. Of which he was to be voted on this year. Doubtful he goes in this year if he is voted on....

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#28 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'm a believing that Clemens will sign with the Astros, thus delaying his eligibility for the Hall of Fame. Of which he was to be voted on this year. Doubtful he goes in this year if he is voted on....

I agree with this completely. It's a stroke of genius. All he needs to do is pitch even to one batter, and he's pushed off the voting for another 5 years. And that means that he isn't the test case for the steroids-era sure thing HOFer, Bonds is after next season.

He's gambling that 5 more years of perspective will give him a better chance at induction, and I think he's 100% right.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#29 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks to Bud, the AL traded the Brewers for the Astros.

If there's any ML franchise less noteworthy than the Astro's, I can't think of who it is...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#30 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

If there's any ML franchise less noteworthy than the Astro's, I can't think of who it is...

The Brewers.

#31 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

If we're going beyond baseball, it's the NHL's Florida Panthers.

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

I agree with this completely. It's a stroke of genius. All he needs to do is pitch even to one batter, and he's pushed off the voting for another 5 years. And that means that he isn't the test case for the steroids-era sure thing HOFer, Bonds is after next season.

He's gambling that 5 more years of perspective will give him a better chance at induction, and I think he's 100% right.

I just don't like this, how is it anything more than publicity stunt? Unless the Astros are planning on bringing him back next year... OK. But even the, how does having 50+ year old pitcher fit into their long-term plans? It's taking away a spot from someone who actually be a part of the future.
@levineps

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

If we're going beyond baseball, it's the NHL's Florida Panthers.

The NFL's version would be the Jaguars?
@levineps

#34 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Baseball Prospectus: Goodbye to the Internet
http://www.baseballp...articleid=18207

Kevin Goldstein, hired by the Astros, pens his goodbye. We talked about this some in a game thread over the weekend. I think this is a great progressive move for Houston.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

Baseball Prospectus: Goodbye to the Internet
http://www.baseballp...articleid=18207

Kevin Goldstein, hired by the Astros, pens his goodbye. We talked about this some in a game thread over the weekend. I think this is a great progressive move for Houston.

Is this the same job Law was up for?

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Is this the same job Law was up for?

I believe so.

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

I believe so.

Coincidence that they were going after 2 media members or are they trying something different and looking outside the box?

#38 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

It'll suck to lose his podcast but good for KG. It'll be interesting to see how he does in the role.

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

Coincidence that they were going after 2 media members or are they trying something different and looking outside the box?

No coincidence. They previously hired Mike Fast from BP as well.

http://www.cbssports...-the-real-story

"Months after Luhnow tried to lure Keith Law from ESPN and hired Mike Fast from Baseball Prospectus, the new name being heard is Kevin Goldstein, also from Baseball Prospectus. (Luhnow called Goldstein "very well thought-of" while declining to say whether he's joining the Astros; Goldstein, known for extensive prospect reviews and clever, sometimes sassy tweets, responded "no comment" via a direct message on Twitter.)

"We want people who are going to share our vision," Luhnow said. "It doesn't necessarily need to be a traditional-looking person. We're going to be open-minded."

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

ESPN: Astros: Roger Clemens still in '12 mix

http://espn.go.com/m...ch-houston-year

Good for publicity purposes but really think this should be vetoed by Selig. Why not use someone who may actually help you contribute in the future?
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=