#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I only mentioned it because it could affect his frame of mind in regards to this.

I'm sure a lot more information will come out. I think it's great that this is getting attention, puts the issue in the conversation even if it sadly takes a celebrity connection for it to happen.

@levineps

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

The real victim is the child. Whether APete plays or not is trivial. Regardless, maybe he can use his resources to try and help fund an organization to bring awareness to and try to stop child abuse. It's the sickest form of abuse. beating someone who literally has no chance of defending theirself.
  • mweb08, Oriole85 and BobPhelan like this

#23 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,453 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

Horrible news. I just found out. What a blow to AP. And such a good guy in the league. A tragedy.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#24 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

More details on how the kid died.  I don't even want to type it.

Also,

Patterson had hurt the child had a past, the prosecutor said, and he’d been convicted of beating a past girlfriend’s child, too.

http://minnesota.cbs...agic-situation/

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

More details on how the kid died.  I don't even want to type it.

Also,

http://minnesota.cbs...agic-situation/

I don't think you can legally speaking charge the mother with any crimes -- but you have to question her judgment. I have a hard time believing she didn't know about his checkered past and if she didn't, she probably should've.

@levineps

#26 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

TMZ reported that Peterson just meet his son in the hospital.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

The boy died. Terrible story and yes, that man should go to jail for a long long time.

Nah...he should die immediately.  He is a piece of garbage that doesn't deserve to be alive and the tax payers shouldn't have to pay for that POS to rot in prison.

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:38 AM

TMZ reported that Peterson just meet his son in the hospital.

Ok, he wasn't the greatest father... who cares? Not sure why it matters right now. We all know this story only has legs because of the AP connection. It's a terrible story and it's sad, but it takes this kind of thing to get attention for this issue.

@levineps

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Nah...he should die immediately.  He is a piece of garbage that doesn't deserve to be alive and the tax payers shouldn't have to pay for that POS to rot in prison.

He should have his day in court like anyone else, I'm all for the death penalty in this case though assuming the facts are correct.

@levineps

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

Ok, he wasn't the greatest father... who cares? Not sure why it matters right now. We all know this story only has legs because of the AP connection. It's a terrible story and it's sad, but it takes this kind of thing to get attention for this issue.

I'm not sure that's what Weber was implying there. Just that there probably isn't the greatest emotional connection, necessarily.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

The issue with the U.S. Prison system and the tax payer strain which accompanies said system is a very complex one. It needs overhauling. This is not the answer though. I believe that part of what makes us better is the right to defend yourself in court, and also potentially rehabilitate yourself depending on the offense. But this is a hairy topic. Trust me, I don't like how much prison's cost us either. It sucks.

#32 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:53 AM

I'm not sure that's what Weber was implying there. Just that there probably isn't the greatest emotional connection, necessarily.

He said that previously, he mentioned it for playing status only. I just don't see why he needs to reiterate here, whether he's playing or not is trivial given the situation. Although, I realize that people do care about this and they want to see AP succeed in the face of adversity.

@levineps

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

The issue with the U.S. Prison system and the tax payer strain which accompanies said system is a very complex one. It needs overhauling. This is not the answer though. I believe that part of what makes us better is the right to defend yourself in court, and also potentially rehabilitate yourself depending on the offense. But this is a hairy topic. Trust me, I don't like how much prison's cost us either. It sucks.

Doesn't it cost more to put people to death? I've heard that argument before.

Along similar lines to you, I think our "innocent until proven guilty" is a very important part of our judicial system and the right to a trial.

@levineps

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:59 AM

Doesn't it cost more to put people to death? I've heard that argument before.

Along similar lines to you, I think our "innocent until proven guilty" is a very important part of our judicial system and the right to a trial.

It depends, but often times, yes it's more costly to do the death penalty. There is little reason why prisons should be as costly as they are, and why they can't generate more self-sustaining revenue, however. Again though, very complex.

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:00 AM

He said that previously, he mentioned it for playing status only. I just don't see why he needs to reiterate here, whether he's playing or not is trivial given the situation. Although, I realize that people do care about this and they want to see AP succeed in the face of adversity.

I just figured he mentioned it a second time since it has been confirmed rather than just rumored. Don't think he meant anything there.

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

I just figured he mentioned it a second time since it has been confirmed rather than just rumored. Don't think he meant anything there.

Things can get blown out of proportion on a message board. I'm the first to admit I do it from time to time. I think AP will probably see his share of criticism for this story if it turns out he was absent father. I saw that he didn't know it was his child until recently. I just wish the focus wasn't on that right now and on the kid who just died and how we can prevent child abuse. I think we can focus on AP's role later, just not today. Just my opinion on the whole matter.

@levineps

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Things can get blown out of proportion on a message board. I'm the first to admit I do it from time to time. I think AP will probably see his share of criticism for this story if it turns out he was absent father. I saw that he didn't know it was his child until recently. I just wish the focus wasn't on that right now and on the kid who just died and how we can prevent child abuse. I think we can focus on AP's role later, just not today. Just my opinion on the whole matter.

Well, I don't see any focus being on that - just the emotional connection he has or not with the child. I don't think anyone can assume he was just an "absent" father or anything like that - It's quite possible, if not likely based on what I've read that he wasn't even informed he had this particular child until very recently.

Agreed though, the focus sould entirely be on the awfulness of child abuse and how to stop it.

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

People like this don't deserve to defend themselves.

He has already beaten a kid(and probably his GF) in the past...He is a piece of garbage that needs to be gone.

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

It depends, but often times, yes it's more costly to do the death penalty. There is little reason why prisons should be as costly as they are, and why they can't generate more self-sustaining revenue, however. Again though, very complex.

Not going to pretend to know prison economics, but there's a good case that death is too good as well. See Ariel Castro.

@levineps

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

Not going to pretend to know prison economics, but there's a good case that death is too good as well. See Ariel Castro.

There has been some very intriguing research done on the economics of the prison system the past few years. Worth the read, IMO, but this remains something that hasn't been near the top of anyone's political agenda.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=