#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

The infield at Bristol was probably grass back then. I would think the Orioles could play an exhibition game at Pimlico or something. With the neighborhood as a back drop. It'd be sort of Memorial stadium like.

No idea, sounds like you know way more on this than I do. I've never been into auto car racing.

Not sure how that would work at Pimlico, would the dimensions be enough? I can't imagine them doing anything where they'd need to spend a lot of $ for one day.

@levineps

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

I used to like Nascar, and the history. Not so much anymore. I think they could fit a diamond in pimlico. Memorial stadium was an oval shape. Much smaller than the oval at pimlico. If they did it to raise money for the track, like if they threatened to move Preakness which I've heard rumors of, people would come out I think. Hell. The ponies could run during the game, in between innings. Two events for one price.
@BSLMikeRandall

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

I used to like Nascar, and the history. Not so much anymore. I think they could fit a diamond in pimlico. Memorial stadium was an oval shape. Much smaller than the oval at pimlico. If they did it to raise money for the track, like if they threatened to move Preakness which I've heard rumors of, people would come out I think. Hell. The ponies could run during the game, in between innings. Two events for one price.

I mean would LF and RF go out enough? No doubt CF would be playable. Sorry I'm just not familiar enough with Pimlico. Never have been and only time I see it is for a few minutes a year.

• Mike in STL likes this
@levineps

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

BWOmGSWIQAAdOQ3.jpg

http://bleacherrepor...amming-national

• Mike in STL likes this
@levineps

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

ESPN: Wisconsin to play LSU at Lambeau

http://espn.go.com/c...beau-field-2016

Figured this could go here. Not quite as interesting as the Bristol game, but this should be fun.

@levineps

#26 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:16 PM

ESPN: Wisconsin to play LSU at Lambeau

http://espn.go.com/c...beau-field-2016

Figured this could go here. Not quite as interesting as the Bristol game, but this should be fun.

Eh, I don't think it's that interesting. The whole "myth" around Green Bay is that it is essentially a college atmosphere with a professional team. So just playing a college game there wouldn't seem to add anything they would get playing at Camp Randall.

@DJ_McCann

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:23 PM

Eh, I don't think it's that interesting. The whole "myth" around Green Bay is that it is essentially a college atmosphere with a professional team. So just playing a college game there wouldn't seem to add anything they would get playing at Camp Randall.

Lambeau is the one pro stadium I really want to get to. I think it's pretty neat for the players who won't be playing in the pros, the good majority of them that they got to play in Lambeau. I see your point with the college stadium, just don't agree here.

@levineps

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Lambeau is the one pro stadium I really want to get to. I think it's pretty neat for the players who won't be playing in the pros, the good majority of them that they got to play in Lambeau. I see your point with the college stadium, just don't agree here.

Fair enough.

Though, honestly, quite a few of the players on both of those teams will get to play in NFL stadiums even without making the pros, between the Sugar Bowl, the Gator Bowl, the Outback Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, the Music City Bowl, the Meineke Car Care Bowl and the Little Caesars Bowl :P

@DJ_McCann

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:05 PM

Fair enough.

Though, honestly, quite a few of the players on both of those teams will get to play in NFL stadiums even without making the pros, between the Sugar Bowl, the Gator Bowl, the Outback Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, the Music City Bowl, the Meineke Car Care Bowl and the Little Caesars Bowl :P

Yeah definitely, that's why I was singling out Lambeau, I'm not sure if they've ever played an FBS game there before. They don't have too many non-Packers events, they had that Wisconsin hockey game some years back. Plus LSU has played on all those Labor Day classics at NFL stadiums.

@levineps

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

ESPN: Bristol Speedway seeks NCAA mark

http://espn.go.com/c...-motor-speedway

The speedway can hold about 160,000, and organizers are hoping to break an attendance record.

To accommodate a football field, the speedway will need modifications, some of which will happen as soon as next year, Caldwell said.

A massive video board that sits atop a pylon in the middle of the infield will be taken out, Caldwell said.

"Screens will be added inside the facility so everyone can still see everything," he said.

Making room for a field will be easy compared to actually installing the field.

@levineps

#31 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:50 PM

rendering-bristol.jpg

CBS Sports

@levineps

#32 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

Been to Lambeau. It sure is something. I don't think football stadiums carry the same mystique as baseball stadiums, but Green Bay does. Went to that Ravens Packers monday nighter a few years back. Cold, and aluminum high school style bleachers. The guy renting out heated seat cushions made a fortune.
@BSLMikeRandall

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:04 PM

Been to Lambeau. It sure is something. I don't think football stadiums carry the same mystique as baseball stadiums, but Green Bay does. Went to that Ravens Packers monday nighter a few years back. Cold, and aluminum high school style bleachers. The guy renting out heated seat cushions made a fortune.

Yeah, I don't think football is quite as generic as the NBA/NHL are, but it's not baseball. I want the whole Green Bay experience one of these days, I wouldn't call myself a fan of them but I've always liked the concept of the community owned team in a real small market.

• Mike in STL likes this
@levineps

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, I don't think football is quite as generic as the NBA/NHL are, but it's not baseball. I want the whole Green Bay experience one of these days, I wouldn't call myself a fan of them but I've always liked the concept of the community owned team in a real small market.

It was funny, when I was scouring the web for Packers analysts to join the show last week, everyone in their bio says "Green Bay Packers Owner". Threw me for a loop for a second.
@BSLMikeRandall

#35 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

The only football stadium I've been to where you felt some sort of mystique was the old Orange Bowl. You could argue that between college and NFL games (including Orange Bowl games and Super Bowls) that no other football stadium in America had hosted more remarkable games.

Sadly, the place was such an outdated and decrepit dump that it detracted from some of the mystique. Still, having attended some pretty big games there myself (saw 3 games that decided the national championship) I was a little sad when they tore it down. I wish between Miami-Dade and the University of Miami that they could have found a way to give it a rehab and kept it up. Even though it's still not that close to campus, it's a hell of a lot closer than Sun Life is, which I'm sure would help the Hurricane's student attendance.

#36 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:39 PM

rendering-bristol.jpg

CBS Sports

For the fans at each end of the stadium, I imagine their only possible reason for wanting to buy tickets to the game is to say that they were present the day the NCAA attendance record was broken. I need to set up a stand outside that place on game day and sell binoculars....by halftime I will officially be retired and on a plane to Cabo.

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

For the fans at each end of the stadium, I imagine their only possible reason for wanting to buy tickets to the game is to say that they were present the day the NCAA attendance record was broken. I need to set up a stand outside that place on game day and sell binoculars....by halftime I will officially be retired and on a plane to Cabo.

Wonder how much they'll sell them for? When MJ played at the Georgia Dome(Hawks played there and GTech while Phillips was being built -- I'm sure you know that) and they set some sort of record (I think most in a regular season game) -- I believe the "out of sight" seats proceeds were given to charity.

@levineps

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

The only football stadium I've been to where you felt some sort of mystique was the old Orange Bowl. You could argue that between college and NFL games (including Orange Bowl games and Super Bowls) that no other football stadium in America had hosted more remarkable games.

Sadly, the place was such an outdated and decrepit dump that it detracted from some of the mystique. Still, having attended some pretty big games there myself (saw 3 games that decided the national championship) I was a little sad when they tore it down. I wish between Miami-Dade and the University of Miami that they could have found a way to give it a rehab and kept it up. Even though it's still not that close to campus, it's a hell of a lot closer than Sun Life is, which I'm sure would help the Hurricane's student attendance.

A quick look at the map seems to show that there isn't a real place to build a stadium on or near campus.

@DJ_McCann

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

A quick look at the map seems to show that there isn't a real place to build a stadium on or near campus.

Correct. The campus, and pretty much anywhere in Coral Gables doesn't have the available land. They do have a metrorail system with a stop right at the campus. It didn't go right to the Orange Bowl, but when there were games there they had shuttle buses that would take you the rest of the way. Unfortunately there was very little parking around the stadium, so there wasn't much tailgating, and it never felt like a football atmosphere going in there. But now, if you are a student living on campus the stadium is more than 20 miles away, you either need a car or hope to catch a ride with someone else going to the game. But it doesn't look like the U has any other viable options right now.

#40 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:12 PM

Correct. The campus, and pretty much anywhere in Coral Gables doesn't have the available land. They do have a metrorail system with a stop right at the campus. It didn't go right to the Orange Bowl, but when there were games there they had shuttle buses that would take you the rest of the way. Unfortunately there was very little parking around the stadium, so there wasn't much tailgating, and it never felt like a football atmosphere going in there. But now, if you are a student living on campus the stadium is more than 20 miles away, you either need a car or hope to catch a ride with someone else going to the game. But it doesn't look like the U has any other viable options right now.

They don't do a shuttle or anything for the students for HOME games? Wow

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=