HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

SB Nation: Virginia Tech to play Tennessee at Bristol Motor Speedway

http://www.sbnation....-motor-speedway

@BFeldmanCBS #VaTech to play #Tennessee at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016, per source. Expected to draw a record 150,000-160k fans.

@levineps

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

A bit gimmicky, but as a one-time deal it sounds neat.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

A bit gimmicky, but as a one-time deal it sounds neat.

I'm sure other schools will be watching to see how this goes, if it works, I can see it being replicated.

@levineps

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

I'm sure other schools will be watching to see how this goes, if it works, I can see it being replicated.

The piece already mentioned Florida-FSU at Daytona Speedway. I don't know whether Alabama-Auburn would try something at Talladega, since they used to always play in Birmingham it might not seem so novel to them. Plus it's probably better for OOC matchups. Texas and Texas A&M getting together one more time at Texas Motor Speedway would probably draw a capacity crowd.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:03 PM

The piece already mentioned Florida-FSU at Daytona Speedway. I don't know whether Alabama-Auburn would try something at Talladega, since they used to always play in Birmingham it might not seem so novel to them. Plus it's probably better for OOC matchups. Texas and Texas A&M getting together one more time at Texas Motor Speedway would probably draw a capacity crowd.

I doubt any of the annual games are going to neutral sites (except for the ones that already are) -- I think that ship has sailed on Bama/Auburn. The Texas/A&M has intrigue.

@levineps

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:10 PM

I doubt any of the annual games are going to neutral sites (except for the ones that already are) -- I think that ship has sailed on Bama/Auburn. The Texas/A&M has intrigue.

Although if Texas and A&M ever agree to a neutral site game, there's probably no way Jerry Jones lets that game go to a race track.

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:54 PM

First, this is a pretty cool idea for a one-off game.

Second, this may literally be the only place it works. Any other track is going to have the fans WAY too far away. This isn't the same as having a running track around the field.

@DJ_McCann

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

First, this is a pretty cool idea for a one-off game.

Second, this may literally be the only place it works. Any other track is going to have the fans WAY too far away. This isn't the same as having a running track around the field.

I'm not familiar with Bristol, but I was wondering how they'd configure seating to get fans close enough to the field. Sounds like it's a much smaller track.

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:16 PM

I'm not familiar with Bristol, but I was wondering how they'd configure seating to get fans close enough to the field. Sounds like it's a much smaller track.

Half-mile. The smallest on the NASCAR circuit.

bristol.jpg

It probably won't be too much worse than most stadiums. Others would have far too much infield/track space.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@DJ_McCann

#10 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

Interesting. It would be fun to see once I guess. Even though it's a small track, I still think fans will be far away from the action. Looking at the picture above, the field would probably encompass that area with the big rigs. Front row seats still leave you a couple hundred feet from the side line. 

Also. Nascar tracks lack jumbo trons. I used to go to a few when I was younger and my parents were into it. Nascar had pop up video boards on top of trailers. But nothing nearly the size of what is in stadiums these days. (Maybe thats changed, I don't know). 

So we have hockey outdoors, basketball on air craft carriers, football in a Nascar infield. Where can we have a baseball game that isn't a baseball field (or football field, Oakland)?

@BSLMikeRandall

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Interesting. It would be fun to see once I guess. Even though it's a small track, I still think fans will be far away from the action. Looking at the picture above, the field would probably encompass that area with the big rigs. Front row seats still leave you a couple hundred feet from the side line. 

Also. Nascar tracks lack jumbo trons. I used to go to a few when I was younger and my parents were into it. Nascar had pop up video boards on top of trailers. But nothing nearly the size of what is in stadiums these days. (Maybe thats changed, I don't know). 

So we have hockey outdoors, basketball on air craft carriers, football in a Nascar infield. Where can we have a baseball game that isn't a baseball field (or football field, Oakland)?

I think they'll have temporary jumbotrons at the track to compensate for people sitting far away.

The closest thing you've had in baseball is when the Dodgers returned to the LA Coliseum ~5 years ago for an exhibition game to set the baseball attendance record. The Rangers played a few Spring Training games at the Alamodome earlier this year. The geometry of baseball, building dugouts, finding a suitable press box, makes it a lot harder IMO to just construct a temporary baseball facility than the other sports, especially if you want to have a regular season game. The Rays had some regular season games in Orlando not too long ago, but that was a minor league stadium. The Padres played a series in Hawaii about 15 years ago at Aloha Stadium, which was reconfigured for baseball like when they had a minor league team there.

@levineps

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

I think the baseball equivalent of this would be the Yankees and Mets playing a game at a park in Hoboken, or the Orioles and Nats playing out on the Mall. Basically, teams playing just on a field in some wide-open space like back in the beginning.

@DJ_McCann

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

I think the baseball equivalent of this would be the Yankees and Mets playing a game at a park in Hoboken, or the Orioles and Nats playing out on the Mall. Basically, teams playing just on a field in some wide-open space like back in the beginning.

I think that would be really cool.  Probably tough to get enough temporary stands for it to be worth them trying, but it'd be very cool to see an MLB game played at say Yellowstone Park or maybe even like an old Civil War battlefield or something.

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

My brother has suggested doing a "Field of Dreams"-like game before, preferably the 4th of July. He's not exactly the biggest baseball fan, so maybe he's onto something since this sort of thing would attract more casual fans. I don't think it's something they'd seriously consider at this point.

@levineps

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:32 PM

There was talk about having The Winter Classic out on the Mall when the Caps host it next season, but I think Leonsis said it would not be logistically feasible.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:36 PM

Won't happen, but an exhibition in this stadium would be cool to watch. I'm not sure which would be more entertaining though....watching lightweight hitters jack balls into the stratosphere or watching them try to round the bases while totally gassed for lack of oxygen.

Estadio Hernando Siles is a sports stadium in La Paz, Bolivia. It is the country's largest sports complex with a capacity of 38,000 seated spectators and is named after Hernando Siles Reyes, the 31st President of Bolivia (1926–1930). The stadium is located in the Miraflores borough of La Paz, at an altitude of 3,637 metres (11,932 feet) above sea level, making it one of the highest professional stadiums in the world.

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

Won't happen, but an exhibition in this stadium would be cool to watch. I'm not sure which would be more entertaining though....watching lightweight hitters jack balls into the stratosphere or watching them try to round the bases while totally gassed for lack of oxygen.

La Paz is more than twice as high as Denver. That would be...interesting :P

@DJ_McCann

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

There was talk about having The Winter Classic out on the Mall when the Caps host it next season, but I think Leonsis said it would not be logistically feasible.

It was fan-driven talk, just like I don't expect the Winter Classic to be at Camden Yards either when the Caps host in 2015.

@levineps

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:07 PM

I can't find any pictures out there, but apparently the Redskins/Eagles played an exhibition game at Bristol Motor Speedway in 1961.

@levineps

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

I can't find any pictures out there, but apparently the Redskins/Eagles played an exhibition game at Bristol Motor Speedway in 1961.

The infield at Bristol was probably grass back then. I would think the Orioles could play an exhibition game at Pimlico or something. With the neighborhood as a back drop. It'd be sort of Memorial stadium like.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=