Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Not much, if at all.

You're missing the big picture. It isn't about, "You can't use social media to post pics and tweet jokes because Putin hates selfies and disliked the 'not impressed' meme." It's about, "You can't use social media to instantly tell and show the world how we treat people who decide to speak out against the unjust decisions of the government."

It's a censorship and free-speech issue. If there is a pro-LGBT protest during the opening ceremonies that the police decide to crush, what are the odds that NBC is going to say a WORD about it?

Fine...if you need twitter to get that realization then that's your problem. Lack of tweets isn't going to change what most of the world already knows.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:21 PM

Fine...if you need twitter to get that realization then that's your problem. Lack of tweets isn't going to change what most of the world already knows.

I think what's so ridiculous about it is that Russia wants to have their cake and eat it too... they want to both hate the LGBT community, and censor any talk of it while the spot light is on their country during the Olympics. That's pretty much the epitome of being a coward. It's starting to sound that not only did this not piss you off - but that you also have no problem at all with Russia doing this.

#23 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:51 PM

I think what's so ridiculous about it is that Russia wants to have their cake and eat it too... they want to both hate the LGBT community, and censor any talk of it while the spot light is on their country during the Olympics. That's pretty much the epitome of being a coward. It's starting to sound that not only did this not piss you off - but that you also have no problem at all with Russia doing this.

With them banning twitter? No. I don't care at all. As I've said.

@bopper33

#24 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

With them banning twitter? No. I don't care at all. As I've said.

You said it didn't anger you, not that you didn't care. To each their own. Not sure why people who do care about censorship should be criticized for it though. 

#25 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 11 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

When I saw no tweeting I assumed it was an attempt to curb spoilers...didn't even occur to me as a censor thing.
@JeremyMStrain

#26 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:02 PM

When I saw no tweeting I assumed it was an attempt to curb spoilers...didn't even occur to me as a censor thing.

I'd be almost just as displeased if that were the stated reason.

#27 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Actually, good point about the spoilers. I am now in favor of Russia banning twitter. I'd be mad if I checked my twitter feed and stumbled upon a result of an event that was airing on delay.

@bopper33

#28 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

Actually, good point about the spoilers. I am now in favor of Russia banning twitter. I'd be mad if I checked my twitter feed and stumbled upon a result of an event that was airing on delay.

Kept happening to me last summer. Sucked.
  • Pedro Cerrano likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#29 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

Then maybe don't go on Twitter. To ban it is just ridiculous. And that's not why they are doing it.

• BobPhelan likes this

#30 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

Then maybe don't go on Twitter. To ban it is just ridiculous. And that's not why they are doing it.

Again, where is this unnamed group of people that aren't aware of Russia's stance on gay people?

@bopper33

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

http://www.theatlant...nstagram/71461/

"(Update, 2:51 p.m.: Talk about receiving mixed messages! International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams tells USA Today's For The Win that sharing pictures and videos on social media will not only be allowed, but encouraged. The horror! "Please take as many photos as you like!" Adams said. "Sharing pix on social media positively (is) encouraged.")

The penalty is a serious one for such a trivial crime. But this isn't a case of Russia cracking down on the rights and freedoms ahead of a world event. The 2012 Summer Olympics in London had similar restrictions on reporters' abilities to take photos and videos but it wasn't widely enforced, as Capital New York's Alex Weprin points out. From the London Games' press kit guidelines:

Participants and other accredited persons cannot post any video and/or audio of the events, competitions or any other activities which occur at Olympic Venues. Such video and/or audio must only be for personal use and must not be uploaded and/or shared to a posting, blog or tweet on any social media platforms, or to a website. "

Those British bastards!!

@bopper33

#32 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:05 PM

Again, where is this unnamed group of people that aren't aware of Russia's stance on gay people?

I just don't understand why people being bothered about this bothers you? Doesn't make sense to me. But it is what it is. To each their own.

• Oriole85 likes this

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:10 PM

http://www.theatlant...nstagram/71461/

"(Update, 2:51 p.m.: Talk about receiving mixed messages! International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams tells USA Today's For The Win that sharing pictures and videos on social media will not only be allowed, but encouraged. The horror! "Please take as many photos as you like!" Adams said. "Sharing pix on social media positively (is) encouraged.")

The penalty is a serious one for such a trivial crime. But this isn't a case of Russia cracking down on the rights and freedoms ahead of a world event. The 2012 Summer Olympics in London had similar restrictions on reporters' abilities to take photos and videos but it wasn't widely enforced, as Capital New York's Alex Weprin points out. From the London Games' press kit guidelines:

Participants and other accredited persons cannot post any video and/or audio of the events, competitions or any other activities which occur at Olympic Venues. Such video and/or audio must only be for personal use and must not be uploaded and/or shared to a posting, blog or tweet on any social media platforms, or to a website. "

Those British bastards!!

Not allowing people to post video/audio is a lot different than saying they can't even use twitter or instagram at all. I'm glad that the IOC is saying they can use social media.

#34 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

Kept happening to me last summer. Sucked.

Good thing about living on the east coast, we don't usually have to worry about spoilers.

@levineps

#35 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Good thing about living on the east coast, we don't usually have to worry about spoilers.

Yeah, it just gets tough when it's around the globe and they hold off showing events until the next day in primetime because of the time difference.

@JeremyMStrain

#36 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

So apparently you can't have short conversations OR long ones:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/24997960

Among the behaviour thought to be 'inappropriate or disruptive to others' at the Olympic Village were:

• Being disorderly or argumentative
  • Swaying, staggering or falling down
  • Having rambling conversations
  • Being bad tempered, aggressive or using offensive language

@DJ_McCann

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

So apparently you can't have short conversations OR long ones:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ympics/24997960

I guess that plays right into this practice that is also banned.

Having difficulty in paying attention or comprehending others

Who knew the Aussies were so damned uptight?

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

CBS Sports:  2014 Olympics: Projecting Team USA's roster
http://www.cbssports...oster-for-sochi

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

Looks pretty good. I'd certainly have Miller on the roster, his experience would be a nice asset - but he wouldn't be G1 for me. That'd be Quick. And I might even give Howard more time than Miller at this point. 

#40 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

CBS Sports:  2014 Olympics: Projecting Team USA's roster
http://www.cbssports...oster-for-sochi

Right on par with who I had. I'd have Dubinski on the team over Stepan though. Stepan is slumping big time. Great to see that John Carlson is getting a ton of recognition, he deserves it and often times doesn't get it. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Our Sponsors

width=