HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:15 AM

The Olympic Torch Keeps Going Out

Tell me this isn't the most Russian thing, ever:

This does happen, and that's why the relay always keeps a backup flame on hand—so the torch's light will always be a descendant of the flame lit in Olympia, Greece, by the sun's focused rays. Karapetyan didn't wait for that backup flame. A gentleman in a suit re-lit his torch with a cigarette lighter.

@DJ_McCann

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

For reasons I don't feel like getting into on here, this may be the first Olympics in my lifetime that I completely ignore/boycott. Russia is a disgrace.

#3 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

For reasons I don't feel like getting into on here, this may be the first Olympics in my lifetime that I completely ignore/boycott. Russia is a disgrace.

I certainly would not blame you.

@DJ_McCann

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

I really don't blame you after all, we all have different thoughts and beliefs. I just hate how something that is supposed to bring the world together becomes so politicized.

@levineps

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:47 AM

I really don't blame you after all, we all have different thoughts and beliefs. I just hate how something that is supposed to bring the world together becomes so politicized.

I think Russia feeling the ridicule and shame they should feel for their injustices could ultimately bring the world together in a bigger, more material way in the long run. This 20 days of bringing the world together is nice and all, but it's very temporary, and then some of the countries involved just go back to abusing their citizens when it's all over. That is just wrong, IMO.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

I think Russia feeling the ridicule and shame they should feel for their injustices could ultimately bring the world together in a bigger, more material way in the long run. This 20 days of bringing the world together is nice and all, but it's very temporary, and then some of the countries involved just go back to abusing their citizens when it's all over. That is just wrong, IMO.

Inadevently, the location of the games becomes an issue. And no place is going to be free from controversy -- although, some places are more of a concern than others. Can't they hold it on a non-nation country that the IOC could buy?

@levineps

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Interesting thought, but I don't see that ever happening.

BTW - I hope that I can muster the strength to ignore these olympics... but I LOVE Olympic hockey... and curling. And I like the U.S. Squad this year.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:01 AM

BTW - I hope that I can muster the strength to ignore these olympics... but I LOVE Olympic hockey... and curling. And I like the U.S. Squad this year.

Yeah it won't.

Let me say, while I'm not a big into the Olympics themselves -- I have little interest in most of the competitions -- I love the concept of it and the idea of sports being a unifying force.

@levineps

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:02 PM

The curling squad? Who's on it?  :wink:

#10 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:55 AM

http://www.buzzfeed....rammed?s=mobile

#11 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

I still can't believe this.

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

Of all the things that anger me on this Earth, I'm pretty sure this ranks at #5,684.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:10 PM

Of all the things that anger me on this Earth, I'm pretty sure this ranks at #5,684.

Oh.

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

Oh.

I mean are you REALLY that bothered by the fact that people won't be able to tweet or post vines from the Olympics? 

Has this ruined your day enough to warrant posting a response with curse words and threatening not to watch other than hockey?

@bopper33

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

Oh.

I mean are you REALLY that bothered by the fact that people won't be able to tweet or post vines from the Olympics? 

Has this ruined your day enough to warrant posting a response with curse words and threatening not to watch other than hockey?

It's very ridiculous... and the boycotting would be due to their hatred of gays, not the ban on social media. It's 2013... and the world will be watching. You don't think that's insane? Oh and I can rant a little and even curse (I'm 28 years old) without that meaning my day has been ruined.

#16 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:04 PM

Hey man, that's fine.  I don't dig their stance on hatred either, but that wasn't the topic of this thread.

As for the twitter stuff, I really don't care.  I figure watching NBC or whatever will give me plenty of insight as to what's going on -- I don't need to see someone from the New Orleans Times Picayune tweet a blurry phone pic of the hockey arena.

As for the cursing, tone is important, especially on a message board.  I'm sure since that's the case you'd have no problem going to Russia and telling them they're a "piece of shit" country or whatever.

@bopper33

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

How much did NBC get into human rights issue when they were broadcasting the games in China? (sorry I don't remember)

@levineps

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hey man, that's fine.  I don't dig their stance on hatred either, but that wasn't the topic of this thread.

As for the twitter stuff, I really don't care.  I figure watching NBC or whatever will give me plenty of insight as to what's going on -- I don't need to see someone from the New Orleans Times Picayune tweet a blurry phone pic of the hockey arena.

As for the cursing, tone is important, especially on a message board.  I'm sure since that's the case you'd have no problem going to Russia and telling them they're a "piece of shit" country or whatever.

You're right, I clearly overreacted here - especially since, to be clear, it really hasn't impacted my day one way or the other. I just think in principle it's asinine is all. Calling a whole country a piece of shit wasn't necessary. 

Twitter actually doesn't do much for me either with that type of stuff, but again it's just a matter of principle. All of that stuff dramatically increases attention of the Olympics, it doesn't hurt it. 

Either way, I should have kept my emotions around the other issue separate from this discussion.

#19 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:35 PM

Also quite possible that Twitter is highly regulated in Russia with huge amounts of censorship and people using twitter from other countries would undermine that. I'm not saying that's right (morally or factually) but that's my educated guess as to why it would be banned.

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:39 PM

How much did NBC get into human rights issue when they were broadcasting the games in China? (sorry I don't remember)

Not much, if at all.

You're missing the big picture. It isn't about, "You can't use social media to post pics and tweet jokes because Putin hates selfies and disliked the 'not impressed' meme." It's about, "You can't use social media to instantly tell and show the world how we treat people who decide to speak out against the unjust decisions of the government."

It's a censorship and free-speech issue. If there is a pro-LGBT protest during the opening ceremonies that the police decide to crush, what are the odds that NBC is going to say a WORD about it?

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=