Way too many.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,364 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Why is it too many?  Don't watch the ones you aren't interested in.  Problem solved.

I'd rather watch my team in a bowl that doesn't matter and doesn't mean anything than be done for the season.

#4 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

So, 78 out of 125 FBS teams will be going bowling this year.  About 62%.

Crazy.

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

The day has to be coming when there won't be enough 6-6 teams to fill these bowl games, and the NCAA will have to let a 5-7 team in. If I were a player, I'd love to play a bowl game in the Bahamas though.

#6 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

Why is it too many?  Don't watch the ones you aren't interested in.  Problem solved.

I'd rather watch my team in a bowl that doesn't matter and doesn't mean anything than be done for the season.

Because teams should actually have a good season to earn a bowl game. Also because I don't think there's tremendous interest in these lesser bowls.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

Yeah great idea, there all exhibitions anyways except for three games, so why not let every team play a bowl game regardless of record.

@levineps

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

The day has to be coming when there won't be enough 6-6 teams to fill these bowl games, and the NCAA will have to let a 5-7 team in. If I were a player, I'd love to play a bowl game in the Bahamas though.

Question who wants to go to Idaho or Detroit in the middle of the winter?... ok now, who wants to go to Hawaii or the Bahamas?

@levineps

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yeah great idea, there all exhibitions anyways except for three games, so why not let every team play a bowl game regardless of record.

I'd say it's just economics. You probably couldn't sell enough tickets or get a TV deal for a game that ends up featuring a couple 1-11 or 2-10 teams.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Because teams should actually have a good season to earn a bowl game. Also because I don't think there's tremendous interest in these lesser bowls.

Retlatively speaking sure. But these bowl games almost always outrate top college basketball matchups in the same time slots. Also, not too much is going on during "bowl week," good filler programming for ESPN. Not sure I'd even call it filler programming, since there probably happy with the ratings.

@levineps

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

I'd say it's just economics. You probably couldn't sell enough tickets or get a TV deal for a game that ends up featuring a couple 1-11 or 2-10 teams.

Yeah, I'd like to have the bowls mean something. I don't think getting TV deals would be as much of a problem as ticket sales. ESPNU can always televise a game. Obviously, it be a bit overkill if you had 60 bowls but college football is pretty damn popular.

@levineps

#12 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yeah, I'd like to have the bowls mean something. I don't think getting TV deals would be as much of a problem as ticket sales. ESPNU can always televise a game. Obviously, it be a bit overkill if you had 60 bowls but college football is pretty damn popular.

But even if you get a deal with, say ESPNU, for a game that will feature the last-place teams in two lower-tier conferences, what will it be worth? The payout for each team probably wouldn't reach $100k. Then you have to figure in all of the travel expenses. These are schools that are likely struggling just to field FBS-level programs, and their conference probably doesn't payout more than a couple million $ a year per school. In other words, could you even find enough teams willing to fork out the money to play such games?

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

But even if you get a deal with, say ESPNU, for a game that will feature the last-place teams in two lower-tier conferences, what will it be worth? The payout for each team probably wouldn't reach $100k. Then you have to figure in all of the travel expenses. These are schools that are likely struggling just to field FBS-level programs, and their conference probably doesn't payout more than a couple million $ a year per school. In other words, could you even find enough teams willing to fork out the money to play such games?

At some point it isn't, but I think there could be more bowl games. How many I'm not sure. I was being sarcastic with the unlimited bowls suggestion, it was just meant to counter the "don't watch if you don't like it." Teams are losing money on BCS bowls, so I'd imagine the lower-tiered bowls there losing as well. They like the exposure though and being able to practice into late December. Many coaches use this as an opportunity for the "first game" of the next season. 

@levineps

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

At some point it isn't, but I think there could be more bowl games. How many I'm not sure. I was being sarcastic with the unlimited bowls suggestion, it was just meant to counter the "don't watch if you don't like it." Teams are losing money on BCS bowls, so I'd imagine the lower-tiered bowls there losing as well. They like the exposure though and being able to practice into late December. Many coaches use this as an opportunity for the "first game" of the next season. 

No doubt, the 15 extra practices and 1 extra game, plus the exposure, are a benefit no matter what. Especially for teams with a lot of younger players. It just comes down to what a school is willing to pay for that. I know with the BCS bowls, the schools also spend a lot more than the other bowl games, so maybe the losses for the lower bowls are commensurate with the payout. But I really wouldn't know.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

No doubt, the 15 extra practices and 1 extra game, plus the exposure, are a benefit no matter what. Especially for teams with a lot of younger players. It just comes down to what a school is willing to pay for that. I know with the BCS bowls, the schools also spend a lot more than the other bowl games, so maybe the losses for the lower bowls are commensurate with the payout. But I really wouldn't know.

Even though most (if not at all), Athletic Departments are self-funded, I'd imagine most college presidents/chancellors would love their schools going to bowl games when possible especially at the lesser known schools. It gets the school's name out there, energizes the alumni, and a good recruiting tool for both football and the general student population.

@levineps

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:06 PM

Even though most (if not at all), Athletic Departments are self-funded, I'd imagine most college presidents/chancellors would love their schools going to bowl games when possible especially at the lesser known schools. It gets the school's name out there, energizes the alumni, and a good recruiting tool for both football and the general student population.

Sure, under the present structure I'm sure that is true. I was still referring to your hypothetical (and as you admitted tongue-in-cheek) suggestion that every FBS team goes to a bowl game. Unless a team has really been a disappointment, I'm guessing in most cases all parties still see a bowl game as a reward and positive thing even for just a 6-6 season. But if a bowl game is nothing more than an automatic 13th game that every team has already built into their schedule (even if they don't yet know the location or opponent), I'm not sure what sort of momentum from the fan base will be gained from a 1-11 team playing what might as well be another road game. You still get the extra practices and one more chance to be on TV, but as an AD you probably need to really think about whether those benefits are worth the financial loss you are likely to absorb for the expenses incurred from playing.

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:48 PM

ESPN: Source: Duck clan to sponsor bowl

http://espn.go.com/c...ndepedence-bowl

Duck Commander, the family-owned company led by the Robertson clan of "Duck Dynasty" television fame, is the new sponsor for the Independence Bowl, sources said.

The Duck Commander Independence Bowl will be the name of the Shreveport, La., bowl for the next six years, a source said. The bowl game, which previously was sponsored by AdvoCare V100, also is returning Independence to its name after a one-year hiatus.

@levineps

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

ESPN: Source: Duck clan...

:blink:

@DJ_McCann

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,273 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

TV shows getting nearby bowl game naming rights? I like it! Netflix needs to pay up and rename the Military Bowl for House of Cards....the Don't #@%! With Frank Underwood! Bowl.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and BSLZackKiesel like this

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yea...we could have the Meth Bowl, the Stugots bowl and the Fuzzy Dunlop bowl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=