• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

This Game Thread is brought to you c/o Das Best Oktoberfest.

Das Best Oktoberfest
Downtown Baltimore : M&T Bank Stadium Lots
October 19th

Noon – 2pm: Baltimore Beer Week Opening Tap Celebration
2pm – 6pm : General Admission

Oktoberfest.jpg

Pedro had a good post at the end of the FSU game review... it's over, time to move on.

Turn the page and win these next two games at home vs. UVA, and at Wake.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

CSN Baltimore: Brown 'day-to-day' after concussion
http://www.csnbaltim...s-florida-state

#3 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,607 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

Gonna start the tailgate nice and early Saturday.  Get this win, get back on track, and be one win away from a bowl game would be a nice way to start the weekend.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'm not going to dig up Saturday, but after what I saw I'm really not sure what to expect out of this team right now. This is a should, and frankly a must, win game against a lesser opponent. But after losing to Ball State at home, I expect the Cavs will be ready to play, if nothing else.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

I'm not going to dig up Saturday, but after what I saw I'm really not sure what to expect out of this team right now. This is a should, and frankly a must, win game against a lesser opponent. But after losing to Ball State at home, I expect the Cavs will be ready to play, if nothing else.

Agree with that.   If Brown plays, I'll expect a MD win. If he does not, I think it is pretty much a pick'em.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

What's a "must win" at this point? I mean aren't they all, there's only 12 games. Just by the sheer lack of games, one game means more in college football than any other major sport. Must win to get to a BCS bowl, sure... that's extremely unlikely though (not to mention they'd have to almost definitely win the ACC Championship game). Must win to get to a bowl game, I wouldn't say that -- they only need two more wins and even if they lose Saturday, that still very realistic to do it at this point IMO.

@levineps

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

What's a "must win" at this point? I mean aren't they all, there's only 12 games. Just by the sheer lack of games, one game means more in college football than any other major sport. Must win to get to a BCS bowl, sure... that's extremely unlikely though (not to mention they'd have to almost definitely win the ACC Championship game). Must win to get to a bowl game, I wouldn't say that -- they only need two more wins and even if they lose Saturday, that still very realistic to do it at this point IMO.

I think it's a must win because they need to get themselves right. Even if they lose, maybe there are still 2 winnable games on the schedule. But lost this and I wonder if their mental and motivational state of mind will be such that they will struggle to win 2 more.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

I think it's a must win because they need to get themselves right. Even if they lose, maybe there are still 2 winnable games on the schedule. But lost this and I wonder if their mental and motivational state of mind will be such that they will struggle to win 2 more.

Well let me know the next game that isn't a "must win." I get your confidence argument, I still think they all are.  If they had lost a nailbiter, you'd still want to see how they responded. Is it possible, they could miss a bowl of course but there's no reason to expect them to not get there regardless of the result of this one.

I'm guessing they'll win and frankly, I'm expecting to do it in convincing fashion. I don't think the carryover will be there from last weeks performance.

@levineps

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Well let me know the next game that isn't a "must win." I get your confidence argument, I still think they all are.  If they had lost a nailbiter, you'd still want to see how they responded. Is it possible, they could miss a bowl of course but there's no reason to expect them to not get there regardless of the result of this one.

I'm guessing they'll win and frankly, I'm expecting to do it in convincing fashion. I don't think the carryover will be there from last weeks performance.

I've seen that go both ways. I've seen teams that get angry over their poor effort and use it as motivation for next game, and I've seen teams that allow it to snowball and derail their season. Like you, my gut says they will respond in the former. But until you see them on the field, you never know.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

I've seen that go both ways. I've seen teams that get angry over their poor effort and use it as motivation for next game, and I've seen teams that allow it to snowball and derail their season. Like you, my gut says they will respond in the former. But until you see them on the field, you never know.

Yeah I'm not guarantee victory, that's just my instinct. Totally agree we won't have any *real idea* until we see them take the field. It's not entirely possible, they could get smoked.

@levineps

#11 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

Here's a good topic of conversation: If C.J. can't go next week, who do you start?

Caleb Rowe has the best arm, Ricardo Young has the best legs, and Perry Hills has the most experience. 

I say Rowe because you have to be able to get the ball to Diggs, Long, and King with consistency. But Young is an intriguing candidate because of his legs. The problem is that his arm has left a lot to be desired throughout camp. I'd like the team to redshirt Hills, simply because Rowe is already ineligible for a redshirt and I think one of those guys needed to redshirt this season.

@BSLZackKiesel

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Washington Post: Terps-Wake Forest scheduled for 3:30 p.m. kickoff on Oct. 19

http://www.washingto...koff-on-oct-19/

You can add this to your calender!

The Maryland football team will kickoff against Wake Forest at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. 19, the ACC announced Monday. Either ESPN2 or ESPNU will handle the broadcast.

@levineps

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

Here's a good topic of conversation: If C.J. can't go next week, who do you start?

Caleb Rowe has the best arm, Ricardo Young has the best legs, and Perry Hills has the most experience. 

I say Rowe because you have to be able to get the ball to Diggs, Long, and King with consistency. But Young is an intriguing candidate because of his legs. The problem is that his arm has left a lot to be desired throughout camp. I'd like the team to redshirt Hills, simply because Rowe is already ineligible for a redshirt and I think one of those guys needed to redshirt this season.

The sense I got, based on the fact that they named Brown the starter so quickly (before he could even fully practice in spring) and that it took so long to name the backup, is that they don't feel all that strongly about any one of them over the other. Young would seem to replicate Brown's skillset better and might make the transition easier, but Rowe has been the #2 for a reason, so I'd stick with him. For whatever reason, whether he has been slow to recover from the ACL injury or whatever, Hills has slid down the depth chart. If that doesn't change by the end of the season, I'd expect he'll transfer.

#14 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:28 PM

The sense I got, based on the fact that they named Brown the starter so quickly (before he could even fully practice in spring) and that it took so long to name the backup, is that they don't feel all that strongly about any one of them over the other. Young would seem to replicate Brown's skillset better and might make the transition easier, but Rowe has been the #2 for a reason, so I'd stick with him. For whatever reason, whether he has been slow to recover from the ACL injury or whatever, Hills has slid down the depth chart. If that doesn't change by the end of the season, I'd expect he'll transfer.

Hills' recovery has been slower than the others (from what I've heard).  Either way, I would expect either he or Rowe to transfer at some point.  You have Brown in front of them and Cockerille and Ulmer coming behind them.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

CSN Baltimore: Quiet plane, bounce back week?
http://www.csnbaltim...da-state-behind

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:12 PM

BSL: Virginia Preview

http://baltimorespor...eview-virginia/

Hot off the presses!

@BSLZackKiesel

#17 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

The Daily Progress: http://www.dailyprog...19bb30f31a.html

I didn't want to make a special thread for this, but I was interviewed this week by Andrew Ramspacher, UVA beat writer for The Daily Progress about this week's game. You can find it at the link above.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#18 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,355 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

QB C.J. Brown is listed as "doubtful" on the Terps' injury report. All signs indicate that Caleb Rowe will start at QB for the Terps.

OLB Matt Robinson is listed as "out" for the game. Alex Twine and Avery Thompson will take his place.

K Adam Greene is recovering from a hip injury, so Brad Craddock's backup will be Brendan Magistro.

The Terps will wear their standard home uniform set: Black helmets, Red jerseys, Black pants.

@BSLZackKiesel

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:44 AM

Testudo Times: MD / UVA Preview
http://www.testudoti...irginia-preview

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Brown is in fact out... Rowe starting.

Let's go Terps... get off to a good start. Need today, and next week.  Don't want UVA thinking they can win... get up on the Cavs early.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=