#1 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:09 AM

Noon sucks. I'll be on a plane bound for New Orleans. I'm slated to land around 1:30 eastern time, meaning if i'm lucky we'll be checked into the hotel by the 4th quarter. Hope its still worth watching at that point. 

If the Terps win this one, you would have to think that Virginia and Wake Forest would be wins. Meaning that Clemson vs. Maryland could be a matchup of undefeated teams, and the GameDay crew might make that trip. Another option that weekend could be Penn State @ Ohio State. But if Penn St loses a game or two before then, that matchup loses it's luster. Other games that weekend are UCLA @ Oregon, Texas Tech @ Oklahoma, maybe an unranked Tennessee @ Alabama in an otherwise lame week for the SEC. Some SEC teams are playing their usual late season cupcake. LSU hosts Furman, Ole Miss hosts Idaho.

One step at a time, I know its a long shot, but it would be really cool if GameDay came to town.

Ok I'm not going to feel too bad for you, you're going to one of my favorite cities... enjoy!

GameDay is usually at the 8 PM ABC site unless it's a prime SEC game (since CBS has those rights). That Ohio State game is in that slot, but it's possible that it could be a regionalized telecast. I think it will likely be Ohio State if they stay undefeated since they haven't been there yet (I believe). Now on the chance both these teams are undefeated, I think it would be at Maryland over Clemson. However, if UCLA/Oregon stay undefeated, it's likely going there instead of MD. Ditto with Texas Tech/Oklahoma. Let's be honest, the atmosphere at Ohio State is unmatched compared to Maryland and that's part of the selection process. Are 15k going to show up to a 9 AM taping for the show? They're in uncharted territory since Maryland has never been on but the students have a hard enough time getting up for a noon game, try 3 hours earlier now. It's a month away, I wouldn't spend too much time focusing, it be cool if it happened, but I wouldn't count on it.

@levineps

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

Ok I'm not going to feel too bad for you, you're going to one of my favorite cities... enjoy!

GameDay is usually at the 8 PM ABC site unless it's a prime SEC game (since CBS has those rights). That Ohio State game is in that slot, but it's possible that it could be a regionalized telecast. I think it will likely be Ohio State if they stay undefeated since they haven't been there yet (I believe). Now on the chance both these teams are undefeated, I think it would be at Maryland over Clemson. However, if UCLA/Oregon stay undefeated, it's likely going there instead of MD. Ditto with Texas Tech/Oklahoma. Let's be honest, the atmosphere at Ohio State is unmatched compared to Maryland and that's part of the selection process. Are 15k going to show up to a 9 AM taping for the show? They're in uncharted territory since Maryland has never been on but the students have a hard enough time getting up for a noon game, try 3 hours earlier now. It's a month away, I wouldn't spend too much time focusing, it be cool if it happened, but I wouldn't count on it.

Did you go to Maryland?  I can promise you if Game Day came there for the first time ever it would be a mad house.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

Did you go to Maryland?  I can promise you if Game Day came there for the first time ever it would be a mad house.

I didn't go to Maryland, I'm just stating some facts. I had season tickets the past four years though. There have been articles written about the bad fan support. That stuff matters when ESPN is selecting these sites.

@levineps

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:58 PM

I didn't go to Maryland, I'm just stating some facts. I had season tickets the past four years though. There have been articles written about the bad fan support. That stuff matters when ESPN is selecting these sites.

I definitely think this would be the national perception.... however, I agree with Pedro in that CP would go ape if College Gameday came to town. How do you think the crowd would be?

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

I definitely think this would be the national perception.... however, I agree with Pedro in that CP would go ape if College Gameday came to town. How do you think the crowd would be?

Yeah and that's precisely what I'm saying is ESPN knows if they go to traditional SEC or Big Ten schools, they'll be get a great crowd. And at the end of the day, what were saying doesn't matter as much as what the suits in Bristol think. The crowd support against UVA will factor into the decision since it's the only home game between now and then. OTOH, it could mean a lot more for a school like Maryland because they've never been there. It will be interesting to see the GameDay crowd at Northwestern this weekend, since it's their first time in nearly two decades. I'm not sure how many people would show at Maryland -- I'm sure Maryland would make a big deal about it and they'd get a good crowd. Of course, knowing that how they did on GameDay would matter for things like bowl bids. Would they get the 15k I mentioned earlier, probably not but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a memorable experience. How cool would Gary Williams as the guest picker be? I think Michael Phelps could also be a choice. An outside chance it would be Obama, since he said he wanted to do it. I actually hope it's not Obama (nothing to do with politics, I voted for the guy after all) -- it would take away from the atmosphere as the focus would be on him/Secret Service.

I'm just saying just because I didn't go to Maryland -- I've been following Maryland athletics my whole life, many in my family went there including my mom -- doesn't make my opinions on the fan support irrelevant. If that's not the case, a lot of this board can't speak about it -- a lot of people on here are Terp fans just because they grew up in Maryland, not because they necessarily went there. That's the case with many flagship schools especially states that don't have other big and/or major public schools (this isn't California, Texas, or Florida). I hate when we get into the "Have you ever done this"... if no, you can't speak about it.

Back to point, Maryland needs to likely win out for this to happen. I could see them choosing Maryland if Clemson loses a game or two though. It's a better chance that I originally said I didn't realize how high Clemson was ranked. We're still a month away, so much can happen between now and then on the college football landscape.

@levineps

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:25 PM

Yeah and that's precisely what I'm saying is ESPN knows if they go to traditional SEC or Big Ten schools, they'll be get a great crowd. And at the end of the day, what were saying doesn't matter as much as what the suits in Bristol think. The crowd support against UVA will factor into the decision since it's the only home game between now and then. OTOH, it could mean a lot more for a school like Maryland because they've never been there. It will be interesting to see the GameDay crowd at Northwestern this weekend, since it's their first time in nearly two decades. I'm not sure how many people would show at Maryland -- I'm sure Maryland would make a big deal about it and they'd get a good crowd. Of course, knowing that how they did on GameDay would matter for things like bowl bids. Would they get the 15k I mentioned earlier, probably not but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a memorable experience. How cool would Gary Williams as the guest picker be? I think Michael Phelps could also be a choice. An outside chance it would be Obama, since he said he wanted to do it. I actually hope it's not Obama (nothing to do with politics, I voted for the guy after all) -- it would take away from the atmosphere as the focus would be on him/Secret Service.

I'm just saying just because I didn't go to Maryland -- I've been following Maryland athletics my whole life, many in my family went there including my mom -- doesn't make my opinions on the fan support irrelevant. If that's not the case, a lot of this board can't speak about it -- a lot of people on here are Terp fans just because they grew up in Maryland, not because they necessarily went there. That's the case with many flagship schools especially states that don't have other big and/or major public schools (this isn't California, Texas, or Florida). I hate when we get into the "Have you ever done this"... if no, you can't speak about it.

Back to point, Maryland needs to likely win out for this to happen. I could see them choosing Maryland if Clemson loses a game or two though. It's a better chance that I originally said I didn't realize how high Clemson was ranked. We're still a month away, so much can happen between now and then on the college football landscape.

No, but it makes your opinions misguided.  You clearly don't know how the student body behaves.  Unless something drastically has changed amongst the student body since I went there (9 years ago, ugh) I can promise you that Game Day coming to campus would be a zoo.

The whole atmosphere is different than playing Florida Atlantic in 95 degree weather at noon in August.

@bopper33

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:30 PM

Gameday in College Park would probably have more students in attendance than the actual game.

#8 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

Gameday in College Park would probably have more students in attendance than the actual game.

Agreed 100%.

@bopper33

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

No, but it makes your opinions misguided.  You clearly don't know how the student body behaves.  Unless something drastically has changed amongst the student body since I went there (9 years ago, ugh) I can promise you that Game Day coming to campus would be a zoo.

The whole atmosphere is different than playing Florida Atlantic in 95 degree weather at noon in August.

Thanks for patronizing me. Oddly enough, I only lived in Maryland and been watching Maryland for most of my life. I remember 2002, it's not that anymore. I would say it has changed since you were there. They've been less relevant until this week. There's a funny correlation in sports between winning/fan support. I had season tickets for the past four years for football, the students weren't showing up or getting there late for many of the games especially the early starts. I'm sure alumni at other schools where GameDay hasn't been feel the same way as you do, so should ESPN just start going to those schools because they've never been?

At Ohio State/Michigan/Notre Dame/Alabama, they show up regardless of who they play. They don't need a big opponent and good weather to bring a crowd. That matters whether you like it or not for the selection process. It could very well be terrible weather on this day, they still need a crowd.

@levineps

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for patronizing me. Oddly enough, I only lived in Maryland and been watching Maryland for most of my life. I remember 2002, it's not that anymore. I would say it has changed since you were there. They've been less relevant until this week. There's a funny correlation in sports between winning/fan support. I had season tickets for the past four years for football, the students weren't showing up or getting there late for many of the games especially the early starts. I'm sure alumni at other schools where GameDay hasn't been feel the same way as you do, so should ESPN just start going to those schools because they've never been?

At Ohio State/Michigan/Notre Dame/Alabama, they show up regardless of who they play. They don't need a big opponent and good weather to bring a crowd. That matters whether you like it or not for the selection process. It could very well be terrible weather on this day, they still need a crowd.

You're just completely clueless (not the first time).

Moving on...

• McNulty likes this

@bopper33

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

You're just completely clueless (not the first time).

Moving on...

Yeah of course, when you don't have a real retort, that's how you respond. You seem to take what I'm saying personally. Have you been to a Maryland football game in the past five years or you still basing all of your information based on when you were there a decade ago?

@levineps

#12 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Unless I'm remembering wrong, Gameday came to Maryland at some point in the early 2000s.

And no, I don't mean for basketball :P

EDIT: Apparently, I was remembering wrong.

http://en.wikipedia....eDay_(football)

@DJ_McCann

#13 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

Unless I'm remembering wrong, Gameday came to Maryland at some point in the early 2000s.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking something like this.  Could've sworn there was some sort of ESPN pre-game televised thing on campus a while ago.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

Yeah of course, when you don't have a real retort, that's how you respond. You seem to take what I'm saying personally. Have you been to a Maryland football game in the past five years or you still basing all of your information based on when you were there a decade ago?

Lol, you're just a waste of time.  Yes, I've attended almost every home game since 2007 as a season ticket holder. 

Again, just because the students don't come out in full force for an Old Dominion game doesn't mean they wouldn't show for Game Day.

1)  If Game Day came, it would obviously be a huge game and MD would obviously be good for them to come (like playing Clemp-son when both teams were undefeated).

2)  There would be a buzz around campus all week leading up to it, an excuse to drink early, get rowdy and experience something new, etc.  There would be a palpable hype surrounding the event and, in my opinion, would easily draw enough people to satisfy the folks at ESPN.

Again, you're commenting on things you have no idea about.  Until you've been on campus leading up to a big event/moment it's hard to gain that sort of perspective.

@bopper33

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

They were there for College Football Live on Labor Day against Miami, that's the closest it's been.

• Markus likes this
@levineps

#16 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

They were there for College Football Live on Labor Day against Miami, that's the closest it's been.

That's what I was thinking about.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:17 PM

Lol, you're just a waste of time.  Yes, I've attended almost every home game since 2007 as a season ticket holder. 

Again, just because the students don't come out in full force for an Old Dominion game doesn't mean they wouldn't show for Game Day.

1)  If Game Day came, it would obviously be a huge game and MD would obviously be good for them to come (like playing Clemp-son when both teams were undefeated).

2)  There would be a buzz around campus all week leading up to it, an excuse to drink early, get rowdy and experience something new, etc.  There would be a palpable hype surrounding the event and, in my opinion, would easily draw enough people to satisfy the folks at ESPN.

Again, you're commenting on things you have no idea about.  Until you've been on campus leading up to a big event/moment it's hard to gain that sort of perspective.

There's no reason to for the condescending, asshole response. And you know which games I have and haven't been to?

GameDay would draw a crowd wherever they go, that doesn't mean they're going to go to Maryland. Two BCS undefeated teams at the end of October would be a big deal anywhere, that's not unique to Maryland. I think it would have to be the clear #1 game that day for GameDay to be there, JMO. ANd we're arguing about something that isn't likely happening.

@levineps

#18 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,712 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

That's not what you originally said, that was not your original argument.

Your original argument was the team sucks --> students don't show up to the games --> students wouldn't show up to Game Day --> ESPN wouldn't come. 

@bopper33

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

That's not what you originally said, that was not your original argument.

Your original argument was the team sucks --> students don't show up to the games --> students wouldn't show up to Game Day --> ESPN wouldn't come. 

Well obviously if GameDay is coming, there's a reason for that. It doesn't change the fact that the students haven't shown up in recent years by and large part. And my argument was more what ESPN was thinking. They already know that they'll get good crowds for the more premier schools. Maryland is more of a question mark.

You're also saying how the student enthusiasm hasn't changed since you've been a student -- you really believe that? When they were going to bowl games routinely, they were drawing the same?

@levineps

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,557 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

College Game Day is a phenomenon. ESPN knows that. The fact that we have spent half this thread discussing it is an indication. They can show up on just about any campus and draw a huge crowd, even if the in-stadium crowds are less than full. And since ESPN obviously does some pre-coordination before selecting a site, UM would give them every assurance people will show. At the end of the day, all that will really matter is how big the Clemson game is relative to the other games scheduled that day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=