http://www.fangraphs... ... -fastball/

Good article by FG here.

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

Chen (4-0, 2.45 era) has made 7 starts with the O’s. In 3 of his last 4 outings, he has gone at-least 7 innings. In 6 of his 7 starts, he has allowed 2 er or less. (In the 7th, he allowed 3.) In his 44 innings of work, he has allowed 39 hits, 3 hr’s, 14 bb’s, and 32 k’s. His OPS against is .639, and his G/F ratio is 0.53. The last two outings vs. Texas and NY have been fantastic. The match-up vs. Strasburg today should be very entertaining.

#63 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I'm expecting a real pitcher's duel in this game. Wouldn't be surprised to see a 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 kind of score on this one.

Hope we can come out on top and complete the sweep!

@AdamWolff

#64 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:56 PM

After outstanding outings vs. NY, and Texas; Wei-Yin Chen was knocked around in DC vs. the Nationals this past weekend. With 6 er, in 4.1 innings; Chen’s era nearly jumped a run. How does he respond tomorrow?

Interesting hearing Hunter talk about Chen being out of sync with Exposito. I definitely want Wieters catching Chen tomorrow, to help do everything possible to get Chen right back on track.

#65 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

After outstanding outings vs. NY, and Texas; Wei-Yin Chen was knocked around in DC vs. the Nationals this past weekend. With 6 er, in 4.1 innings; Chen’s era nearly jumped a run. How does he respond tomorrow?

Interesting hearing Hunter talk about Chen being out of sync with Exposito. I definitely want Wieters catching Chen tomorrow, to help do everything possible to get Chen right back on track.

I'm fine with that. It'll mean Matusz will be stuck with the backup catcher again (it seems like he's always with the backup most of this year), but I'd rather have Chen be comfortable due to the language barrier. I'd love to get to Paulino early, because he pitched well against the O's last week in KC.
  • Adam Wolff likes this

#66 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

I'm fine with that. It'll mean Matusz will be stuck with the backup catcher again (it seems like he's always with the backup most of this year), but I'd rather have Chen be comfortable due to the language barrier. I'd love to get to Paulino early, because he pitched well against the O's last week in KC.

Paulino has been having a pretty good year so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see him shut down the offense. Hopefully they can get his pitch count up and get into the pen.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Well, got my wish with Wieters starting tonight. Now on Chen to give the O's the series win.

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:43 AM

After being hit around in DC, Chen bounced back with an effective outing vs. KC. Tonight he faces Price in Tampa Bay, attempting to snap the O's 5 game losing streak.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

By the end of the 1st in Tampa, it felt as if O's were out of the game. That was pretty horrible, and deflating. Chen went full with Pena to lead off the game. Pena would double over Hall, after having shown bunt. Pena would advance to 3rd, on Chen's wild pitch. Chen left a pitch over the middle of the plate to Scott, which Scott served into CF for a 2 run single. Matsui tattooed a shot to deep RF for a 2 run shot, and a 5-0 Tampa Bay lead. That was followed by back-to-back walks to the 8th, and 9th hitters in the Rays lineup.

Read back, the Tampa Bay 1st went like this: Double. Wild pitch. FC, out at the plate. Single. Bunt single. Single. Sac bunt. 2 run HR. Walk. Walk. K. It was not like Chen was being completely knocked around (there were several hard hits, but it was the bunts that seemed to unnerve him), but his control was sharp, and the result was the same. With Price being spotted a 5 run advantage, it felt like the game could have been called before the 2nd inning began.

I was pleased that Chen was able to get into the 6th inning, after allowing the 5 er in the 1st inning.The 4 bb’s were concerning, as are the 5 hr’s allowed in the last 4 starts. The O’s have lost his last 3 starts, after winning his previous 6. Tonight will be Chen’s 2nd start in Boston.

#70 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

This guy has his head screwed on properly. Plus, he knows what he's doing. I'm always happy to see that he's today's starter...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#71 scOtt

scOtt
  • Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationWayne's Bar and Grill, PA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

This guy has his head screwed on properly. Plus, he knows what he's doing. I'm always happy to see that he's today's starter...

I saw you post over on the H that you're posting over here. Glad to see you, Shack!

I grabbed Chen as a rookie keeper in my one fantasy league. I liked him from the minute DD signed him. Young enough, throws hard enough, has had plenty of success. Somehow I just knew he was going to do alright here.
  • BSLChrisStoner and You Play to Win the Game like this
And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on you grooving.

#72 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

I saw you post over on the H that you're posting over here. Glad to see you, Shack!

I grabbed Chen as a rookie keeper in my one fantasy league. I liked him from the minute DD signed him. Young enough, throws hard enough, has had plenty of success. Somehow I just knew he was going to do alright here.

Yeah, he got picked up pretty early in my league too - of course it's a 16 team league though, so it's pretty deep anyway.

I agree with RShack though - Chen is a pitcher. He's pretty tough too. It's not easy to bounce back after an awful 1st inning and shut the door. He's prone to a little bad inning-itis from time to time, but he's still learning the league, and I think his control gets iffy from time to time.

#73 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yeah, he got picked up pretty early in my league too - of course it's a 16 team league though, so it's pretty deep anyway.

I agree with RShack though - Chen is a pitcher. He's pretty tough too. It's not easy to bounce back after an awful 1st inning and shut the door. He's prone to a little bad inning-itis from time to time, but he's still learning the league, and I think his control gets iffy from time to time.

Its all about how will he be as the season goes on.

Can he at least be a 4.50ish ERA guy the rest of the season and eat some innings?

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Can he at least be a 4.50ish ERA guy the rest of the season and eat some innings?

I would put the odds of that happening at about 60%'ish. He'll go through various league adjustments/counter-adjustments.. Baltimore's humidity... and a full season in a 5-man rotation. There's some adversity there, but I still think he can be decent. He's going to give up home runs this summer, there's little doubt about that. But hopefully they'll be solo shots.

#75 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,544 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

I don't believe the weather will effect him. Taiwan has higher temperatures and is very humid.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#76 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:04 PM

I don't believe the weather will effect him. Taiwan has higher temperatures and is very humid.

Its all about the extra workload, 5 man rotation, etc...

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

My understanding is that he pitched primarily in domes.

#78 scOtt

scOtt
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:12 PM

This. He's in a bit of a funk right now. He has to adjust to the league's adjustments. But I think he'll be alright. BTDT.

#79 scOtt

scOtt
  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

"Thin-skinned." Is all I'm going to say publicly.. :roll:

#80 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Is Japan the same, because that's where he pitched?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=