HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

ESPN: 2-3-2 Finals format likely out in 2014

http://espn.go.com/n...-format-sources

Good move IMO, it's not baseball, hockey has it right.

@levineps

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

When home court matters so much, this is the right thing to do.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

Agree. Potentially playing 3 straight road games takes away home court to a degree. And with so many more off days during the Finals for television, the additional travel shouldn't be that big a deal.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

Agree. Potentially playing 3 straight road games takes away home court to a degree. And with so many more off days during the Finals for television, the additional travel shouldn't be that big a deal.

Hard to believe they flew commercial 30 years ago.

@levineps

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

ESPN: Vote unanimous to change Finals

http://espn.go.com/n...e-finals-format

@levineps

#6 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:27 PM

ESPN: Vote unanimous to change Finals

http://espn.go.com/n...e-finals-format

...as they should have.

#7 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:32 PM

As I said before, it just makes the most sense.  In a sport like baseball or hockey, when home ice doesn't matter, I can live with 2-3-2.  Home court/field is so much bigger in the NBA and NFL.

@bopper33

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

As I said before, it just makes the most sense.  In a sport like baseball or hockey, when home ice doesn't matter, I can live with 2-3-2.  Home court/field is so much bigger in the NBA and NFL.

It doesn't matter in baseball? In every WS since the O's lost in 1979 that went all seven, the home team has won. Since 2003 when the format of home-field advantage changed, 7 out of the 10 winners had home-field advantage including all of them since 2009. I would agree it doesn't matter as much in hockey, without doing any in-depth research.

If I had to rank homefield advantage I'd say

1)NFL

2)MLB

3)NBA

4)NHL

@levineps

#9 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

So game 6 will be in Minnesota this year, game 7 in Miami???

Go Wolves!

@beginthebegin71

#10 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

It doesn't matter in baseball? In every WS since the O's lost in 1979 that went all seven, the home team has won. Since 2003 when the format of home-field advantage changed, 7 out of the 10 winners had home-field advantage including all of them since 2009. I would agree it doesn't matter as much in hockey, without doing any in-depth research.

If I had to rank homefield advantage I'd say
1)NFL
2)MLB
3)NBA
4)NHL

You're absolutely out of your mind if you think home field matters more in MLB than the NBA.

@bopper33

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:06 PM

You're absolutely out of your mind if you think home field matters more in MLB than the NBA.

I know I'm "out of my mind" for disagreeing with you, just my opinion, I wasn't expecting a real response from you.

@levineps

#12 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'd have to agree with Petey Cerrano on this one, re: NBA over MLB.

@beginthebegin71

#13 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, NBA over MLB for me too.

#14 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

Great minds...

@beginthebegin71

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

All things being equal, home field advantage is more important in the NBA vs MLB.

But when you are an AL team going into an NL park, that hurts you bad.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Not familiar with the DH? Home field might not be that big of a deal in the divisional and league championship series. But when you get to the WS, it's huge. Just ask the Red Sox how thrilled they are that they only have to figure out a way to squeeze Ortiz's bat into the game 3 times instead of 4 (if it goes 7 games).

EDIT: Just saw Rob's comment above. 

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:08 PM

I know I'm "out of my mind" for disagreeing with you, just my opinion, I wasn't expecting a real response from you.

Well it's just that you don't know what you're talking about. I'd guess you're not a big follower of the NBA if you truly feel that way and not really a point in debating further.

@bopper33

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

Well it's just that you don't know what you're talking about. I'd guess you're not a big follower of the NBA if you truly feel that way and not really a point in debating further.

Yeah I know how it works with you, the other person's POV is wrong, Pedro's POV is *always* right. You're making dismissive comments on my POV, but you haven't told me why I'm wrong with any real substance. 

@levineps

#19 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

Yeah I know how it works with you, the other person's POV is wrong, Pedro's POV is *always* right. You're making dismissive comments on my POV, but you haven't told me why I'm wrong with any real substance.

Here's the substance: I watch both sports. Closely. Do you watch the NBA? Years of watching both has shown me that it's harder to win on the road in the NBA. You went back and cited a handful of game 7s that the home team won and expected that to win the argument for you? Get real. Perhaps you'd like to know that no road team has won a game 7 in the NBA finals since 1978? Or that home teams are14-3 in game 7s? Or that in the NBA playoffs the home court team wins the series 76% of the time? The average team in MLB this year went 38-43 on the road, .469 win %. NBA? 16-25, .390 win %. Do you need more "substance"??

This is just like your stance that "nobody would show up for GameDay in CP".

@bopper33

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

Here's the substance: I watch both sports. Closely. Do you watch the NBA? Years of watching both has shown me that it's harder to win on the road in the NBA. You went back and cited a handful of game 7s that the home team won and expected that to win the argument for you? Get real. Perhaps you'd like to know that no road team has won a game 7 in the NBA finals since 1978? Or that home teams are14-3 in game 7s? Or that in the NBA playoffs the home court team wins the series 76% of the time? The average team in MLB this year went 38-43 on the road, .469 win %. NBA? 16-25, .390 win %. Do you need more "substance"??

This is just like your stance that "nobody would show up for GameDay in CP".

I'm glad you finally explained your position and didn't have to resort to one of your typical dismissive comments here. I watch some NBA, I'm not proclaiming to be an expert in it. I was just ranking home-field advantage IN MY OPINION. Both Rob and BOB said homefield in the WS is pretty big with the DH(or lack of), guess they were "out of their mind" since they saw it atleast as comparable. So it's been since 1978 in basketball, since '79 in baseball, so ok one more year. There might have even been more Game 7's during that time period for the NBA Finals as well. The better team (record-wise) has also always hosted the NBA Finals, whereas baseball it rotated between AL/NL cities AND now is based on the All-Star results. I think the better team is more likely to win on average in the NBA than in baseball regardless of the venue, but since they've never rotated between the conferences or All-Star results, I can't say that for certain. I think if they played both the NBA Finals and World Series at a neutral site, you would likely see more of the same results on the NBA end than the MLB end of it. In the NBA an obvious home court advantage is how close the fans are to the action, but NBA arenas don't vary as much as MLB parks and to a lesser extent, football stadiums. I would also say the lack of familiarity with the ballpark they are playing at in the WS is a factor, although not as big now with interleague play and more free agency. I think there's definitely a case for home court in the NBA Finals being more important, but I feel differently. Again, that's my opinion, you disagree with it -- I'm not saying you are out of your mind or clueless for your opinions. I can accept differing views and that rational people can respectfully disagree.

Anyways, you need to go back and read what I said in terms of my alleged statement: "nobody would show for GameDay in CP."

Here's what I ACTUALLY said:

Let's be honest, the atmosphere at Ohio State is unmatched compared to Maryland and that's part of the selection process. Are 15k going to show up to a 9 AM taping for the show? They're in uncharted territory since Maryland has never been on but the students have a hard enough time getting up for a noon game, try 3 hours earlier now. It's a month away, I wouldn't spend too much time focusing, it be cool if it happened, but I wouldn't count on it.

FIFTEEN THOUSAND is way different than ZERO. Could they get 15k there in the future, probably, I just don't see it happening as it stands right now. If they get back to the levels of interest at the beginning of the Fridgen era, it shouldn't be a problem.

I also said perception was important with the attendance problems in terms of getting GameDay here. Perhaps you'd want to take it up with Scott Van Pelt, who has been very critical of the fanbase.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=