Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Okay, so here's my deal. 

I've had Verizon Wireless forever and have never really been fully impressed or enamored with their service, or at least in terms of what I pay/service provided.  But it's never really been an issue or an issue enough to make me seriously think about going through the hassle of looking at other providers.

Now, my contract with Verizon has been up for who knows how long now (a while) and I've been going month-to-month (there's absolutely no difference in billing or anything like that).  And I prefer it that way.  I like being a "free agent," so to speak, knowing that I do have the option at any time, if I want, of looking at other providers without having to pay Verizon any exit-fee.  But like I said, there really hasn't been any issues that made me seriously consider it.  Just a nice option to have.

So this morning in my email (and on my phone in a text too) there's a message from Verizon saying that I've passed my monthly allotment of texts and am gonna have to pay more for each text until the next billing cycle kicks in (in like 2 weeks).  So I log-in and actually check out my plan.  Turns out I'm signed up for a plan that includes unlimited data/email, 450 minutes of talk, and 250 texts per month.  In all it costs about $80/month with my somewhat old/outdated Blackberry.

Again not the worst but I've always felt I've never been fully getting my money's worth.  Especially since I've never really had any issues going over the 450 minutes, using the data (I think I average like only 7-8 MB a month) or 250 texts.  But I guess this month I've had some busy fingers (that's what she said).

So I start talking to a Verizon rep on the interwebs and I'm sure we're all aware of how "helpful" these reps can be.  You ask 2 of 'em the same question and you'll get 500 different answers.

Anyway it turns out my plan is pretty outdated and Verizon doesn't even offer it anymore.  So, to avoid the extra charges for the next 2 weeks I pretty much ended up switching my options and went from 450 mins/250 texts to unlimited talk/text and went from unlimited data to 500 MB.  I'm not worried about the data switch because like I said above I only average 7-8 MB a month, if that even. 

Good news, the change of plan is exactly the same price as my old plan (so there is no price increase) and it also keeps me as a month-to-month customer so I'm still a "free agent."

Long story short, for whatever reason this whole deal just has really soured me on Verizon, or enough to the point where I'm gonna actually start looking around at other options and see what else is out there.  They really haven't done anything to give me any incentive to stay with them given how old my phone is (BlackBerry, I mean do people still have them?) and my current contract status.  I mean, I was actually telling the reps that I was gonna start looking at other carriers and I expected them to be like "Well wait, we can offer you x (newer phone), y (better plan for your needs), and z to stay" but they didn't and the impression I got was "Sure, whatever.  Do what you gotta do."

So my question I guess to everyone is, how happy is everyone with their cellphone/talk/text/data plans either with Verizon or any other carrier?  Do you feel you're getting your money's worth?  Has anyone switched from one carrier to another and if so how much of a hassle was/wasn't it?  Were you allowed to keep your current number? 

Has anyone tried some of the smaller carriers (though they're still all part of the big-boy carriers) that don't have contracts or anything like that like Virgin or Metro PCS or TMobile and been pleased?  Or are most of those seemingly too good to be true?  Like I think I saw one where it was just $40/month for unlimited talk/text/data but you really just had to buy the phone so while it would maybe cost more upfront, over the long-term it would be cheaper.

I'm not asking anyone to give me details (how much you pay or anything) unless you want to but I'm just looking to see what else is out there, in terms of cellphone service, and figured I'd ask everyone here.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Well, I was in a very similar boat w/Verizon Wireless about a year or so ago. So I made the switch. I went with Sprint because their data maps looked good in my area. Well, I never once had my phone go into 4G, and the 3G for Sprint was uber slow. But if you're only using 7-8 MB's per month of data, maybe that isn't an issue for you? I guess I'd play the field given you don't seem to use your phone at all for data.

#3 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

Well, I was in a very similar boat w/Verizon Wireless about a year or so ago. So I made the switch. I went with Sprint because their data maps looked good in my area. Well, I never once had my phone go into 4G, and the 3G for Sprint was uber slow. But if you're only using 7-8 MB's per month of data, maybe that isn't an issue for you? I guess I'd play the field given you don't seem to use your phone at all for data.

Yeah I think part of the reason why I do use the data as little as I do is because the 3G on my Blackberry is pretty slow too.  So I think if I had a newer/better phone I may be on the internet with it a bit more but all that much.  Other than email the majority of the time I'm using the internet on my phone when I'm out is to just check sports scores.

Plus I think for me another part of why I haven't switched yet is that I just don't want to have to go around to all the different carrier's stores and ask them all the same question.  Seems like a terrible way to waste a few hours, 1/2 the day of the weekend.  Now I do know at Costco they have the kiosk where all the carriers are represented so maybe next time I'm there I'll stop and ask and kinda try to kill all the birds (carriers) with 1 stone.  Plus Costco usually has coupons on either getting phones for free or really cheap.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

Yeah, the Costco option isn't a bad one... or Best Buy, but you'll get a better deal at Costcizzle... 4G is just ridiculous. Most of the time with Verizon I'm getting 20 down and 7 or 8 up on my cell . I use it mostly for streaming music/YouTube, etc. If you end up getting a new phone, I highly recommend Samsung. I have the GS4, love it. 

• Markus likes this

#5 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

I jumped the ship last September from AT&T to Virgin Mobile. Best thing ever in that you are not locked into a contract (never do that again). For my needs I have their 300 anytime minutes (average 50-75 minutes a month) with Unlimited messaging and data (2.5G @ 4G) for $35.00.

Where I live 4G is not an option from any carrier and since I'm not a big internet person on the cell phone, I only have a 3G phone (HTC One V). They also have 1200 anytime minutes for $45 and Unlimited talk for $55, both unlimited text and data (2.5G @ 4G). There is no activation fees or charge to keep your old number. I went to Best Buy, bought the phone, activated it the same day and goodbye AT&T!

http://www.virginmob...plans/overview/

• Markus likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#6 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

Whatever you choose, you're going to love the upgrade to Android or iPhone. It's such a huge difference. I have an iPhone 4S and love it, but also love the big screen Android phones.
  • Markus likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:35 PM

Whatever you choose, you're going to love the upgrade to Android or iPhone. It's such a huge difference. I have an iPhone 4S and love it, but also love the big screen Android phones.

Just saw Apple is testing bigger screens for their next phone, so maybe they'll finally have multiple offerings. 

Samsung announced their Note 3 this past week. I loved the Note 2. Just an awesome phone/phablet

#8 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:39 PM

Enjoying some of the info so far.  The wifey has one of the newest Samsung Galaxy's and it's crazy awesome.  Only thing for me though is that I definitely a cellphone still in the normal mode/size for a cellphone that easily will fit in the back pocket.  I see some of these people with phones strapped to their belt that are the size of my Ipad-mini almost.  I don't want that which is why I may lean towards the iphone.

And the option(s) that Mark's pointed out above is definitely what I'm leaning towards.

Also, Ricker and Mark good call on mentioning Best Buy.  Forgot they got all the stuff-in-one-spot going on there too.

#9 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

I jumped the ship last September from AT&T to Virgin Mobile. Best thing ever in that you are not locked into a contract (never do that again). For my needs I have their 300 anytime minutes (average 50-75 minutes a month) with Unlimited messaging and data (2.5G @ 4G) for $35.00.

Where I live 4G is not an option from any carrier and since I'm not a big internet person on the cell phone, I only have a 3G phone (HTC One V). They also have 1200 anytime minutes for $45 and Unlimited talk for $55, both unlimited text and data (2.5G @ 4G). There is no activation fees or charge to keep your old number. I went to Best Buy, bought the phone, activated it the same day and goodbye AT&T!

http://www.virginmob...plans/overview/

Just bumping this b/c after some oscillating this is definitely the way I'm leaning.

My only question would be, how has the service been?  By that I mean, has there been anytimes where you haven't had service where you normally would (under one of the big carriers even though they all essentially use the same cell towers)?  I'm not talking about being without service while out in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains but have there ever been times while you're like at home or out running errands where your phone service has been out/spotty/etc. where it wouldn't have been under your old ATT service?

Also, did you just buy the phone full or did you work the phone payments into your monthly bill?

#10 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

Just bumping this b/c after some oscillating this is definitely the way I'm leaning.

My only question would be, how has the service been?  By that I mean, has there been anytimes where you haven't had service where you normally would (under one of the big carriers even though they all essentially use the same cell towers)?  I'm not talking about being without service while out in the middle of the Appalachian Mountains but have there ever been times while you're like at home or out running errands where your phone service has been out/spotty/etc. where it wouldn't have been under your old ATT service?

Also, did you just buy the phone full or did you work the phone payments into your monthly bill?

I never noticed a difference with ATT and the same limitations that I had with them, I have with Virgin Mobile. I travel the back roads of southern York County and their are still areas with no cell service. I bought the phone outright. I don't think VM offers monthly payments on their phones. If you do buy from their website they do offer a 14 day guarantee. I bought my phone from Best Buy and activated it myself at home. No activation fees or charge to keep my old number.

• Markus likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=