#22 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

http://www.telegraph...iddle-East.html

It doesn't need to be moved on the calendar. It needs to be moved on the map. If (proper) hosts can get Olympics together in seven years, a proper host can conjure up a World Cup in eight.

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

It doesn't need to be moved on the calendar. It needs to be moved on the map. If (proper) hosts can get Olympics together in seven years, a proper host can conjure up a World Cup in eight.

Relocate it and the Qataris will be so pissed over the billions they've already spent, not to mention all of the slaves who could have died erecting a skyscraper instead of stadiums, that they will expose all of the corruption that took place in "winning" the bid. FIFA's hands are tied....they'll move it to the winter.

#24 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 18 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Relocate it and the Qataris will be so pissed over the billions they've already spent, not to mention all of the slaves who could have died erecting a skyscraper instead of stadiums, that they will expose all of the corruption that took place in "winning" the bid. FIFA's hands are tied....they'll move it to the winter.

More than anything else--well, other than a move to the US--I want to see that happen, and UEFA and CONMEBOL (and CONCACAF, but no one will care about them :P) all refuse to participate.

• Don Quixote likes this
@DJ_McCann

#25 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

Let it be exposed. I am all for that. Both FIFA and the IOC are full of shit.

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

Let it be exposed. I am all for that. Both FIFA and the IOC are full of shit.

Sure, I think we can all agree on that. But FIFA (or the IOC) will never willingly let that happen.

#27 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

This is an unmitigated disaster.

Is Brazil even ready yet?

They're still racing to get things ready for the World Cup, but the Olympics could be even worse than Sochi. 

The Olympic Sailing committee just warned athletes not to fall in the water.

http://www.usatoday....-tests/9272755/

• Don Quixote likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

Looks like someone finally found the evidence.

The Sunday Times claims to have seen millions of e-mails detailing payments to officials in the Caribbean, Africa and the Pacific designed to secure support for the tiny, gas-rich Middle Eastern emirate's quixotic bid to host the world's most popular sports tournament.

"Bit by bit, we have been unraveling it and finally we hit the mother lode," Sarah Baxter, deputy editor of The Sunday Times, told CNN in an interview.

"We've seen millions of documents that prove without a shadow of doubt that corruption was involved. There is clear evidence linking payments to people who have influence over the decision of who hosted the World Cup.

"You also have a bunch of officials with a bearing on the vote begging favors. They were prepared to sell their influence. What bin Hammam [former president of the Asian Football Confederation] was doing was buying people up who could have influence."

The only shocking thing about this is that there are people who seem shocked by this news. "Millions" of documents? Not only are these guys corrupt, they are horrible at covering their tracks.

• You Play to Win the Game and Don Quixote like this

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:35 PM

mcnultyfinale.jpg

Not impressed.

@DJ_McCann

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

Sydney Morning Herald: The charade that tipped Bill Clinton over the edge

Bill Clinton looked anything but happy as he strode into the Savoy Baur en Ville hotel in Zurich in December 2010. The receptionists could tell he was irritated, but had no idea just how angry he was.

After closing the door to his suite, he reached for an ornament on a table and threw it at a wall mirror in a fit of rage, shattering the glass.

• Don Quixote likes this
@levineps

#31 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

Adidas joins Sony over concerns in Qatar WC Bid

The sportswear manufacturer, Fifa's longest-standing commercial partner, issued a strongly-worded statement following a fresh set of allegations regarding the award of the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.  The company said that it believes Fifa's internal investigation will address the issues, but conceded that the issue could be damaging.

In a statement, it said: "A report is due to be submitted to the adjudicatory chamber of the Fifa Ethics Committee, with findings then released publicly in due course.

The company's statement follows a call by another Fifa sponsor, Sony, for the governing body to properly investigate the latest allegations regarding Qatar.

Man, you know things aren't pretty when 2 major sponsors are speaking up a bit.

• Don Quixote likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#32 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

More sponsors expressing concern

Coca-Cola, Visa and Hyundai/Kia have expressed concern over claims of wrongdoing in the bidding process.

In total, five of Fifa's six main sponsors have issued statements relating to the Qatar bid.  Only airline Emirates has so far declined to comment.

Oil company BP and the maker of Budweiser beer, who also sponsor the World Cup, have also registered their concerns.

Car manufacturer Hyundai/Kia said in a statement: "We are confident that Fifa is taking these allegations seriously and that the investigatory chamber of the Fifa ethics committee will conduct a thorough investigation."

Coca-Cola added: "Anything that detracts from the mission and ideals of the Fifa World Cup is a concern to us."

• Don Quixote likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#33 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Only Emirates has remained silent...natch.

#34 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:10 PM

@DJ_McCann

#35 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:16 PM

I haven't actually watched the show, but the pieces that hit the internet are fantastic.  His net neutrality piece was the best I've seen on the topic.

#36 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Great video. It makes me glad that I am not a soccer fan. $240 million for 4 games. Christ.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#37 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Great segment.....glad Oliver got his own show. Just wish it was on Comedy Central, since I don't subscribe to HBO anymore.

#38 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Great segment.....glad Oliver got his own show. Just wish it was on Comedy Central, since I don't subscribe to HBO anymore.

Just a few more months and he would've been taking over Colbert's job.

#39 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:56 PM

Just a few more months and he would've been taking over Colbert's job.

Instead, he gets to be on HBO where he can talk about whatever he wants for as long as he wants, and only has to fill 30 minutes a week instead of 88.

@DJ_McCann

#40 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:27 PM

Sepp Blatter claims Qatar bribery claims are fueled by racism

“There is a sort of storm against Fifa relating to the Qatar World Cup,” Blatter said. “Sadly there’s a great deal of discrimination and racism.”

Fifa will rule on the validity of the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in September or October.

At that point, the president of football’s world governing body said, the “matter will be closed”.

Speaking to African football officials in Sao Paulo, Blatter confirmed that the latest allegations  would be discussed at the Fifa Congress on Tuesday and Wednesday.

He said Fifa needed to combat “anything that smacks of discrimination and racism”.

“It really makes me sad,” he added.

1393622237422.jpg

• Don Quixote and Markus like this
@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=