56 replies to this topic

#41 Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

That commercial is real? Not only incredibly offensive but also unfunny. If you're going to piss off the entire country with a tasteless and offensive commercial, at least make me SORTA want to laugh at it and feel badly about doing so. That thing is just complete excrement and everyone involved with it should be embarrassed at the very least.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#42 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:17 AM

Wow...just saw that commercial. A public stoning for those people wouldn't be punishment enough.

Just an incredible display of tastelessness and stupidity. 

I watched the CNN movie last night about the French brothers filming the documentary about the firefighter who happened to get caught up in the first responders at WTC. I think I had seen it before, but it had been a long time. Everyone should check it out if they haven't already -- it's a great look at the unfolding of events that morning in real time.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#43 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

The best part of that whole mattress thing was when they interviewed the lady afterward and she, all sobbing, said:

"We're Miracle Mattress, we make miracles happen!"

Like lady, you sell freaking beds.  You're not curing smallpox or sending missions to Mars anything.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#44 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

To be fair, while the commercial isn't funny at all, I'd love to be a fly on the wall when someone thought up this idea and everybody just went with it. THAT is funny to me.

#45 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:08 AM

I mean, I guess there was always the chance of a Springtime for Hitler-type of response to the ad, except that The Producers is fiction.

#46 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:17 PM

My guess is those jacktards were too young to fully feel the impact of that day. They look like they could be 25-30 which would put them at anywhere from 10 to 15 that day.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

Yesterday, saw this posted on Twitter from Michael Beschloss... caption says, "Photograph taken by Canadian tourist 16 years ago today, on September 10, 2001."

21457401_10214120190349494_1534312026787DJYTLvEWAAIR5kN.jpg

• DJ MC, Mark Carver and KWebz like this

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:33 AM

Feels like remembrance is higher this year than over the last several years... amazing to think it will be 20 years next year.

#49 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:05 AM

Feels like remembrance is higher this year than over the last several years... amazing to think it will be 20 years next year.

Sad isnt it.

Im rereading stories this year that was forgotten as time goes by and glad to be remember.

One policeman was in the station, signing his official retirement paperwork and had just turned in his badge, when the first plane struck. He asked for his badge, ran out and over to the World Trade center and was helping people out, but didnt make it out, himself.

True hero in every way, and just one of many.

#50 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

The only off-duty NYPD officer killed on 9/11 was hours from retiring

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:09 AM

20 years.

#52 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2021 - 06:41 AM

Watched the first four episodes of the 6 part 9/11: One Day in America series on Hulu last night. Very hard to watch but very well done.

#53 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 02:22 AM

20 years fly. Still remember a lot about that day. Remember how surreal it all felt.

#54 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 04:18 AM

I’m in Oahu right now and they observed 9/11 by having an anti-vaccine passport rally tonight in Honolulu. Vaccine passport program goes into effect on Monday. It was a sobering reminder of how far we’ve devolved since 9/11 and how splintered we’ve become as a country, at least ideologically. 9/11 may have been the last time we were all on the same page, for better or worse.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#55 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 06:54 AM

One thing I learned that I had never heard before in hearing the stories of the aftermath was NYC (and maybe other major cities?) had military aircraft circling around the clock for six months after the attacks. Tasked with shooting down a commercial jet if necessary if it was suspected to be another hijacking.

Just crazy to think about.
@BSLMikeRandall

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 September 2021 - 06:54 AM

There's an irony in remembering 9/11 while conducting life as if everything is perfectly normal as nearly 700,000 Americans have died in an 18 month span.

I guess, in the midst of a much, much more substantial tragedy, it's hard to pause and remember a prior one.
  • CantonJester likes this

#57 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 September 2021 - 07:41 AM

Also crazy to me that there are adults (18-20 y/o) who weren’t even alive for this. And others (say 21-24) who were too young to even recall it.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=