#21 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

So Alabama shouldn't be aloud to remember a legend because some terrorists decide to own 9/11 every year in the history of our country from that day forward? 

I was joking. But I do find it interesting that there are people who will get really upset over things like this.

There's that now-infamous golf course that was offering a "$9.11" special to honor the day. That's worth attacking, because it shows a lack of perspective and common sense. But you can just go to Wikipedia and see all of the events that happened on September 11.

The Battle of Stirling Bridge

Hudson discovering Manhattan Island

The Battle of Brandywine

The groundbreaking for the Pentagon

Pete Rose breaking the hit record

Lots of notable births (O. Henry, Ed Reed) and deaths (Johnny Unitas).

This day may have a particularly terrible and important even associated with it, but that doesn't mean everything else goes away.

(Aside: Just for the record, I didn't know that both the discovery of Manhattan and the groundbreaking on the Pentagon were both on September 11. That's like O. Henry [second aside: oh, come on!] and Alanis Morrisette had a baby and named it this exact situation.)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@DJ_McCann

#22 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

You can never tell a story like that enough, no need for an apology!

I don't think it's so crazy to think any landmark would've been targeted at that point with all that had happened.

Here's something, kids in Kindgarden at the time of 9/11 are graduating high school next year. So if many don't have knowledge of the events of 9/11 now, scary to think what it will be in only a few years.

My mom, who was the head of an ER at a hospital in the city at the time, was part of the disaster team in the city.

She called me at work to let  me know that they have received the threats about the WTC in BMore and that I needed to get out of the city ASAP.

One thing I remember about that day is driving him from the stadium and how dead the streets of BMore were.  I mean, we left late morning, when it is obviously usually busy as hell and it was like a ghost town.

Another thing I remember so vividly is that dumbass Bryant Gumbel, after the second plane hit, ask the question..do you think this was done on purpose?  I mean, seriously?  How can you ask something that bad?

Anyway...as has been said many times, this is our generation's "JFK moment"...where you will always remember where you were when this happened.

BTW, I continue to be astonished that we lost only 3000Kish people...I would have bet on 10K when it happened.

You can't say enough about the rescue workers and the job they did to get people out of there as quickly as possible and save so many lives.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:15 PM

I was a college student still living at home and was awoken by my mother who told me what was going on. I turned the TV on, watched the news, then drove to school while listening to Howard Stern, who did a very good job IMO. This was definitely one of the saddest and shocking days I've experienced in my life. I definitely won't forget. There's also a lot that can be learned from that day and what led up to it and came since but that's for another time and place.<br />

I have always wanted to hear this...They did the history of Howard Stern a few months back and they did the 9/11 stuff but I wasn't able to catch it.

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

Another thing I remember so vividly is that dumbass Greg Gumbel, after the second plane hit, ask the question..do you think this was done on purpose?  I mean, seriously?  How can you ask something that bad?

I think you meant Bryant as he did the Early Show at that point IIRC. I can't recall Greg working in news at all, just sports.

@levineps

#25 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

http://joeposnanski....mall-story.html

• Adam Wolff likes this
@DJ_McCann

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

ESPN: Yanks prez defends team's response

http://espn.go.com/n...n-9-11-response

Bobby V did get "Worst Person in the Sports World," and Keith was completely serious about this one.

@levineps

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

ESPN: MLB remembers 9/11 with tributes

http://espn.go.com/m...-field-tributes

@levineps

#28 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

ESPN: Yanks prez defends team's response

http://espn.go.com/n...n-9-11-response

Bobby V did get "Worst Person in the Sports World," and Keith was completely serious about this one.

Valentine seems to shoot from the hip at all times and it tends to result in stuff like this. Kind of like an Adam Jones sort of guy in that all the things you love about a guy having no filter and saying whatever is on his mind, can also be all the things you hate about a guy doing that. Pretty poor to say anything like this yesterday, just not the time at all to puff out your chest or call others out. 

@AdamWolff

#29 Austin

Austin
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:53 AM

I have always wanted to hear this...They did the history of Howard Stern a few months back and they did the 9/11 stuff but I wasn't able to catch it.

Hey, FYI - the entire broadcast is on YouTube. It's extremely interesting to listen to.

• Adam Wolff and SammyBirdland like this

#30 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

This is fascinating. Thanks for posting Austin.

@AdamWolff

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hope to get here sometime... anyone been?

http://www.911memorial.org/

#32 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:45 PM

Hope to get here sometime... anyone been?

http://www.911memorial.org/

Yes.  Be prepared to cry.  And don't take pictures like an asshole.

• BSLChrisStoner and SammyBirdland like this

@fuzydunlop

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

Haven't been to the official memorial but seeing the pit and the church across the street from the towers was a moving experience.

Today should be a national holiday IMO and one day it will be. Who cares if it's close to Labor Day. If ever there is a day of rememberence, this is it.
  • BSLChrisStoner and SportsGuy like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:18 AM

Another year's gone by...13 years.  Wow.

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

Haven't been to the official memorial but seeing the pit and the church across the street from the towers was a moving experience.

Today should be a national holiday IMO and one day it will be. Who cares if it's close to Labor Day. If ever there is a day of rememberence, this is it.

No, it won't. It is going to remain what it is: a national day of remembrance. Like Pearl Harbor Day; nobody closes schools on December 7.

The memorial is really nice. The waterfalls with the pools are a nice effect, and at least may draw people on hot days who otherwise wouldn't bother.

@DJ_McCann

#36 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

People probably treat these days like they should be treated more when they do work/go to school. A day off is just treated like a vacation day by most, not a day for remembrance.
  • Oriole85 likes this

#37 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

Weak remembrance today IMO.

#38 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:46 PM

Weak remembrance today IMO.

I didn't know we could do hot takes for memorials now :D

It doesn't seem like this anniversary was as...promoted, for lack of a better word. As in, there were fewer specific media mentions of the upcoming date than in past years. It really seemed more like what I mentioned earlier: a day of remembrance (like 12/7, 4/19, etc.) without it being presented as a holiday.

I think at the next "round" anniversary in two years (15) it will really come up again,

@DJ_McCann

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:44 AM

15 years.

HS Freshman born after 9/11...  just hard to believe.

USA Today: Teaching 9/11: 'To them, it's history, just like Pearl Harbor'

& in truly one of the worst displays of judgement of all time... google the miracle mattress 9/11 ad that was run if you haven't seen it. Just horrific.

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

Wow...just saw that commercial. A public stoning for those people wouldn't be punishment enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=