#2 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:42 PM

Its not a bad list but no self respecting beer snob would ever put New Belgium anywhere on any list of praise.

Russian River at 9?  Get bent.  They have 6 top 100 beers in the world, last I looked, and 2 in the top 5.

• BSLChrisStoner and Tucker Blair like this

@fuzydunlop

#3 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Pretty Intersting list,  I've had beer from almost of the Breweries on this list, except for the four that are in bold font.  Rather than rerank them I'll say if they are too high on the list, too low, about right,  or don't belong in the top 25. 

25.  Anchor Brewing - About Right

24.  Great Lakes - About Right,  maybe a little low

23.  New Glarus -  Way Too Low

22.  Allagash - Solid brewery but I'm probably leaning towards "don't belong"

21.  Devils Backbone - Hard to say as they are new in the game, but everything I've tried has been solid so I'll say about right

20.  Boston Beer Company - Don't Belong

19.  Green Flash - About right

18.  Ommegang - Too high

17.  Victory - Too High/Don't Belong

16.  Great Divide - About Right

15.  Rogue - Another tough one as I used to drink their stuff all the time now I can't remember the last time I had a beer from Rogue, they make some solid beers but I'll say they don't belong in the top 25

14.  Oskar Blues - Don't Belong

13.  Avery

12.  Three Floyds -  I've never had any of their brews, but I've heard nothing but great things.

11.  Odell Brewing

10.  Sierra Nevada - Don't Belong

9.  Russian  River Brewing - I've only had a few of theirs so I'll just say "about right"

8.  Bells - Too High

7.  Lagunitas - Too High

6.  New Belgium - Don't Belong

5.  Cigar City

4.  Founders -  About right

3.  Boulevard Brewing - Too High

2.  Stone -  Stone is another one like Rogue that I used to drink all the time now rarely have,  not sure what to say for them as well but I'll say Too High

1.  Dogfish Head - Way too high or don't belong

#4 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Disagree on the following:

Allagash - Probably about right.  They make a TON of stuff, and some of it is really great.

Victory - Embarrassing its on the list.  They suck.  Truly.

I'd put Great Divide and Green Flash a tad higher.

Bells and Lagunitas are top 10 no question for me.  They truly make great great beers.

Rogue needs to be banned.  They make gimmicky crap.

Dogfish should be in the teens.

If I had to make a top 5, It'd be, from top to bottom:

Russian River

Lagunitas

Founders

Stone

Bells

I'm dying to try some 3F stuff.  They'd probably be right up there.

AleSmith is totally missing too.

@fuzydunlop

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:19 PM

Is Boulevard Brewing really considered that good? I've never had any of their stuff.

I think Victory has some really good beers, so I'm not going to knock them, even though I'm not sure about being in the top 25.

Dogfish is great, but probably a fringe top 10 choice.

I haven't had much or any of the beer from some of those breweries so I can't say if they belong or not.

Ballast Point, Firestone Walker, and The Bruery are notable snubs IMO.

My top 5 would be:

Stone

Russian River

The Bruery

Founders

Sierra Nevada

So yeah, West Coast bias.

#6 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:59 PM

Is Boulevard Brewing really considered that good? I've never had any of their stuff.

I think Victory has some really good beers, so I'm not going to knock them, even though I'm not sure about being in the top 25.

I haven't had much or any of the beer from some of those breweries so I can't say if they belong or not.

My top 5 would be:

Stone

Russian River

The Bruery

Founders

Sierra Nevada

I love the bruery but their prices are ridiculous (although that doesn't stop me)

But they have also made the worst beer i have personally ever had. 5 Golden Rings....yuck!

I love Boulevard Brewery, although they are probably fringe top 25 IMO. Just too many average beers, although their latest Coffee Ale was AMAZING

#7 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

Also, I still think Dogfish is one of the most overrated breweries out there. They do so much good, but what about all their terrible beers they make too? I guess you can certainly use the "experimentation" card for them, which I would accept as a valid reason. 

DFH is still probably top 15 for me though, even with what I said.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

My top 5 would be:

Stone
Russian River
The Bruery
Founders
Sierra Nevada

I love the bruery but their prices are ridiculous (although that doesn't stop me)
But they have also made the worst beer i have personally ever had. 5 Golden Rings....yuck!

I love Boulevard Brewery, although they are probably fringe top 25 IMO. Just too many average beers, although their latest Coffee Ale was AMAZING

Their prices are very reasonable when actually at The Bruery. Never had the golden rings one.

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

Also, I still think Dogfish is one of the most overrated breweries out there. They do so much good, but what about all their terrible beers they make too? I guess you can certainly use the "experimentation" card for them, which I would accept as a valid reason. 

DFH is still probably top 15 for me though, even with what I said.

They do experiment a lot. I also think their success rate is pretty good.

#10 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,685 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:15 AM

Sierra Nevada is a solid brewery, but top 5?  I wouldn't even put them in the top 25.  Agree with DFH being overrated, not sure where I would put them.

#11 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Sierra Nevada is a solid brewery, but top 5? I wouldn't even put them in the top 25. Agree with DFH being overrated, not sure where I would put them.

Celebration Ale is one of my favorite beers. The pale ale is one of the best of that style IMO, Torpedo is really good, they have some top notch limited releases, and I think most of their other standards and seasonals are at least solid.

I've also been consistently drinking their beer for a long time now while I don't feel comfortable ranking some of the other breweries because I haven't had much or any of their beer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=