#221 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 October 2021 - 03:23 PM

Not surprising, but now it's official - he won the Comeback Player of the Year Award.

There should have been an investigation if he did not.

Well done Trey,!!

@mikeghg

#222 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 08:50 AM

Looks like Trey and Sara Perlman are engaged.

Sara Perlman on Twitter: "FIANCÉ @TreyMancini ☘♥❤‍♥ https://t.co/YJZvIXa1t1" / Twitter

• Mike B, dude and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#223 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 07:49 AM

MASN: Mancini on health, changes at plate and contract situation

#224 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:15 AM

The O's decided to go to arbitration with Trey so that they could save $400K (the difference between the two figures each side proposed). Stay classy O's organization. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#225 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,731 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 March 2022 - 08:30 AM

The O's decided to go to arbitration with Trey so that they could save $400K (the difference between the two figures each side proposed). Stay classy O's organization. 

O's FO would be fantastic at limbo because they are great at going low.

• Mike B likes this

#226 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 09:21 AM

It's actually $625K.  The O's offered $7.375M, and Mancini is asking for $8M.  They're going to arbitration with Means over $400K.  It can be hard to keep all the nickel and diming straight.

#227 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 March 2022 - 09:22 AM

That was my first thought when I saw the news. It's all a pissing match and about asserting dominance, which is why the entire arbitration process should have been trashed in this labor dispute, but the PA has no power these days.

Between this and alienating the first guy in a decade or so to have SUCCESS pitching here at Camden Yards??? What were they thinking? They should have signed Means to an extension instead of going to arbitration. There's NEVER enough pitching.

Trey, I can understand. His position and what he's limited to, ok, I get it, easily replaceable too. But then you should have traded him before you told the entire league THIS is how much you value him at.

@JeremyMStrain

#228 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 01:48 PM

It's actually $625K.  The O's offered $7.375M, and Mancini is asking for $8M.  They're going to arbitration with Means over $400K.  It can be hard to keep all the nickel and diming straight.

Yep, I must have gotten the 2 figures mixed up. Thanks

#229 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2022 - 01:50 PM

That was my first thought when I saw the news. It's all a pissing match and about asserting dominance, which is why the entire arbitration process should have been trashed in this labor dispute, but the PA has no power these days.

Between this and alienating the first guy in a decade or so to have SUCCESS pitching here at Camden Yards??? What were they thinking? They should have signed Means to an extension instead of going to arbitration. There's NEVER enough pitching.

Trey, I can understand. His position and what he's limited to, ok, I get it, easily replaceable too. But then you should have traded him before you told the entire league THIS is how much you value him at.

Couldn't agree more about Means. Perhaps this explains why Elias was hired. Maybe he shares the Angelos family's lack of understanding or appreciation for the value of pitching.  

#230 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 25 March 2022 - 03:41 PM

Couldn't agree more about Means. Perhaps this explains why Elias was hired. Maybe he shares the Angelos family's lack of understanding or appreciation for the value of pitching.  

He has zero say in the matter, lets be honest. This is the club acting has it ALWAYS has, which is, in order to come out ahead, the club must maximize it's team control years, and use the firm's legal expertise to keep the costs in the team's favor.

The problem with this is that it alienates said player and then they don't WANT to sign here, even if they did it would take an ABOVE market deal to retain and would cost more than it did with arbitration in the first place.

It's a case of wanting to be in control and not understanding the long game. To a degree it's what happened with Mussina, where they thought, he's gotta honor his contract and our rights as the club, and then we'll just offer him a market value deal and retain him. Which then insulted him because they thought they'd get some kind of a loyalty deal, and he took top dollar and rolled out.

The O's offered Mikey $6.55 mil, he asked for $7.1m and they settled for $6.85m. He eventually signed for 3 more years, but he wanted a deal that was like A. Fernandez in FL 5/$35m which had they done this then would have kept him here til 2002. By the time FA rolled around again the O's weren't even a finalist, we were tearing the team down, and he went to the Yanks and said, they wanted me the most.

Things like not going to arbitration, and keeping your ace in line with other fairly friendly deals are ways to do that. It's going to be similar with Means. They'll keep nickle and diming, and he will get within a year of FA and be like, nope, not interested, I'll test the market. Then you can't get much in a trade AND you lose him.

• BaltBird 24 and weird-O like this
@JeremyMStrain

#231 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 07:42 PM

Deal reached which includes a mutual option for '23.
  • Mackus and dude like this

#232 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 02 April 2022 - 07:59 PM

Very glad they didn't stick to file-and-trial and made an exception for Trey. Going to arbitration would've been terrible. Good work. The mutual option is interesting. Curious to see the details.
  • DuffMan likes this

#233 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 April 2022 - 10:43 AM

Good for Trey and good for the Orioles.  Nice to see the Orioles do the right thing.

• weird-O likes this
@mikeghg

#234 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 08:08 AM

Now trade him if you wish. But this was the right approach to the situation. It's what respectable organizations do. From what I could see, Trey became a national story with his return from cancer. This wasn't the time to be pennywise and pound foolish 

#235 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 08:59 AM

The mutual option makes Mancini more attractive trade-wise if the Orioles ultimately go that route. 

#236 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 09:03 AM

The mutual option makes Mancini more attractive trade-wise if the Orioles ultimately go that route. 

A mutual option is so unlikely to be exercised by both parties that I don't think it really makes much of a difference.  Certainly wouldn't make him any less valuable.  I guess unless the Orioles refuse to pitch in the $500k buyout the new team would be on the hook to pay after the season when making the trade, which now that I think about it...

#237 BSLMikeFast

BSLMikeFast

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 April 2022 - 08:55 AM

I feel like he gets traded by the end of the year. I hope I'm wrong.

@MikeFastNFL

#238 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 02:58 PM

Trey Mancini said he was in a lot of pain last 2 days with bruised ribs but much better today #orioles

#239 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 03:02 PM

It's just idiotic to play him in the outfield.

• BSLChrisStoner, BaltBird 24, BSLSteveBirrer and 1 other like this

#240 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,072 posts

Posted 09 May 2022 - 03:46 PM

3 hits today brought his average up to .280. 

See if the slugging starts to come up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=