#41 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

Gotta love the spread between BA and OBP for a 19 y/o in AA.

That's typically the first thing I look at when trying to figure out how good or bad a prospect is coming along. Pretty good indicator of future success IMO.

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:41 PM

That's typically the first thing I look at when trying to figure out how good or bad a prospect is coming along. Pretty good indicator of future success IMO.

Yep..the homers will come..the fact he is hitting all these doubles and triples really bodes well for him.

#43 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

You have to be happy with the season Machado is having. Schoop has shown signs of breaking out but it only lasts for 2-3 games and then he struggles again. His contact rates were good previously so the strikeouts are a concern in AA. I still think he puts it together but I'm beginning to worry that he might not.

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Schoop 3-3 tonight.

#45 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

Another 2 hits for Schoop tonight.

#46 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Posted this on ON Weds:

I took the trip down to Bowie last night.

While the Roberts story was fine and dandy, I was there more to really see Machado, Hoes, Schoop, etc.

Machado really continues to impress me with his defensive play at SS. In the first inning, he made a spectacular play. It was a ground ball hit back up the middle and Zach Clark attempted to make the play but the ball bounced off his glove. Machado shifted gears on the deflection, picked it up with his bare hand, and fired a perfect throw to nab the fast Gary Brown at first. Very impressive play.
Later on, he made a tough play ranging to his left and made an equally strong throw to first. He also had a routine ground ball take a wicked hop at the last second and he still managed to stick with it and make the play look easy.

I've seen Machado at SS enough now to truly get a grasp of what he is. I've seen him make rangy plays to the left and right. I've seen him make barehanded plays, quick throws, and handle tough hops. The kid is simply a natural, and I'm not sure I truly agree with anyone saying he will grow out of SS. OK, maybe he does, but if it happens 7-8 years down the road does it really even matter? I think he could easily stick at SS for the immediate future and beyond, and be a pretty good one at that.

Anyone else that has seen him, let me know your thoughts. I know I can't be the only one who is really high on his defense.

Side note, I have seen him botch a play or two at SS. It happens though. The one play was not the easiest either.
  • BSLChrisStoner and mweb08 like this

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Machado last 10: 6 for 36, 1 double, 2 rbi's, 3 bb's, 9 k's
Machado Season: .734 OPS, 13 doubles, 2 triples, 2 hr's, 17 rbi's, 24 bb's, 40 k's, 5 steals, 3 cs

Schoop last 10: 8 for 34, 5 rbi's, 1 bb, 8 k's
Schoop Season: .620 OPS, 7 doubles, 2 hr's, 13 bb's, 11 bb's, 37 k's

#48 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Klawchat on Machado / Schoop

Andrew (LaPlata, MD)

Manny Machado was liked but not loved at the draft. Then the prospect world fell hard for him in 2011. What did they see? The feeling I get is he'll be a solid regular, occasional All-Star if he can stay at SS, but the bat will never play big enough if he goes to 3b. What do you say?
Klaw (1:40 PM)

He was #2 on my draft rankings that year. I think you are way light on the bat. WAY light.

Brian (MD)

If the Orioles draft Correa, is there a better potential future infield in the minors than Machado, Correa and Schoop?
Klaw (1:35 PM)

Offensively, that's outstanding. Machado would have to be the SS and there's some question whether he stays there.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeffLongBP

#49 fan4life

fan4life
  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

http://www.masnsport... ... bowie.html

Roberts 2b
Schoop ss
Manny 3b

http://www.masnsport... ... bowie.html

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

I noticed that myself, I think it's simply away to get all of them into the game and on the field, accomodating B-Rob mostly. It allows us to see Machado at 3rd for what it's worth.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@levineps

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Roch said the organization wants to evaluate him there...wanted Schoop at SS. Also gets both of them and in lineup.

MM could play third all weekend.

Buck was involved in decision.

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:26 PM

Roch said the organization wants to evaluate him there...wanted Schoop at SS. Also gets both of them and in lineup.

MM could play third all weekend.

Buck was involved in decision.

I hope he does, im going on Sunday.
@JeremyMStrain

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:42 AM

6/2 Machado: 1 for 4, hr (his 3rd), 1 rbi

Also had his 13th error, playing at 3rd.

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Schoop can make the plays at SS hit to within a step or two of him, but not much range at all. He got eaten up badly on a ball in the hole, slid, then misplayed a backhand terribly for an ole' moment. Manny looked fine at 3B but didn't get a whole lot of play.
@JeremyMStrain

#55 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Machado season: .695 ops, .234 baa, 15 doubles, 2 triples, 3 hr's, 18 rbi's, 28 bb's, 45 k's
Last 10: 5 for 42, .143 baa

Schoop season: .611 ops, .241 baa, 8 doubles, 2 hr's, 15 rbi's, 14 bb's, 43 k's
Last 10: 9 for 42, .214 baa

As far as prospects go, I'm not concerned with either one. Both young for the Eastern League, everyone that sees them; seems to believe in their respective talents. Machado's walks to k's is pretty good, especially for his age.

Still, they are not doing enough in the Eastern League for me to currently believe they will be options in Baltimore in early (May/June) '13. Of course, I might feel different if they finish strong over the next few Months.

#56 Slappy

Slappy
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

I'm a little concerned when I see 19-year old Jurickson Profar tearing up the Texas League...
The world's most concise Baltimore Orioles Twitter feed - @OneWordBird

#57 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

I'm a little concerned when I see 19-year old Jurickson Profar tearing up the Texas League...

I don't understand how Profar's performance could possibly be impacting anyone's evaluation of Machado or Schoop.

Would Profar be a lesser prospect if Manny was playing better?

#58 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

I was leery that Machado was being moved too quickly, and his play this year at AA shows me that he was not quite ready for the level. I think the O's should send him to Frederick and play his way to a promotion.

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

I was leery that Machado was being moved too quickly, and his play this year at AA shows me that he was not quite ready for the level. I think the O's should send him to Frederick and play his way to a promotion.

From what I've seen live, he's right where he needs to be. He's not just being overwhelmed or anything, he's making good contact, just gotta give him time, and let him warm up...it will come.
@JeremyMStrain

#60 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

From what I've seen live, he's right where he needs to be. He's not just being overwhelmed or anything, he's making good contact, just gotta give him time, and let him warm up...it will come.

Exactly right, IMO. AA is where he should be. He started very well and is slumping now but he's certainly not in over his head. He's being challenged. Sending him back down to Frederick would be ridiculous, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=