MASN / Melewski: Machado and Schoop set for AA debut tonight
http://www.masnsport...ts-tonight.html

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Machado homers in his first AA ab, on the first pitch!

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

Machado is 2 for 4, with a steal... Schoop is 1 for 3 with a double.

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

I'll one-up Steve. I was there.

Manny is LEGIT. Good mechanics, smooooooth swing, and will crush the ball. The ball comes off his bat like a superstar, not just any ML player. Looked good in the field, soft hands, ranges better to his right than left. He's about a step slower than I thought he was, and got caught leaning too far off base on a come backer and got picked off.

Schoop I need to see more of but I didn't like a lot of what I saw. Small sample size, so I'm trying to ignore most of it, but his footwork was pretty bad, he tripped over his feet grabbing a backhander up the middle, but a strong throw made up for it. Had a chance at a GREAT play on a soft pop to short RF, he got there with good ranging to his left, made it to the ball, but couldn't make the play, just not soft enough with his hands to make the play, although it was a TOUGH play.
He also looked really exposed at some curveballs at the plate.
@JeremyMStrain

#5 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

I'll one-up Steve. I was there.

Manny is LEGIT. Good mechanics, smooooooth swing, and will crush the ball. The ball comes off his bat like a superstar, not just any ML player. Looked good in the field, soft hands, ranges better to his right than left. He's about a step slower than I thought he was, and got caught leaning too far off base on a come backer and got picked off.

Schoop I need to see more of but I didn't like a lot of what I saw. Small sample size, so I'm trying to ignore most of it, but his footwork was pretty bad, he tripped over his feet grabbing a backhander up the middle, but a strong throw made up for it. Had a chance at a GREAT play on a soft pop to short RF, he got there with good ranging to his left, made it to the ball, but couldn't make the play, just not soft enough with his hands to make the play, although it was a TOUGH play.
He also looked really exposed at some curveballs at the plate.

I agree with this assesment. I thought Machado looked exactly how he should. A top 10 prospect in baseball. His swing is an absolute beauty. I was more impressed by his laser single to CF than his HR. It was an absolute rocket up the middle, perfect contact and execution. His defense footwork needs a little work still but that is fixable.

Schoop obviously is a much more raw player, but his double was jaw-dropping. Excellent oppo power with great extension. I agree that he was a little exposed on their breaking balls but he seemed to iron that out near the end.

They are both very very impressive prospects though. You can see that they have plenty of growth left in them

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:02 PM

I agree with this assesment. I thought Machado looked exactly how he should. A top 10 prospect in baseball. His swing is an absolute beauty. I was more impressed by his laser single to CF than his HR. It was an absolute rocket up the middle, perfect contact and execution. His defense footwork needs a little work still but that is fixable.

Schoop obviously is a much more raw player, but his double was jaw-dropping. Excellent oppo power with great extension. I agree that he was a little exposed on their breaking balls but he seemed to iron that out near the end.

They are both very very impressive prospects though. You can see that they have plenty of growth left in them

Yeah I'm thinking I'm going to give them a few weeks and stop back to see them and see how much changes, but it's going to be a good year to watch Bowie.

I had my eye on Townsend a bit too DHing tonight. He's MUCH smaller than I thought he would be, has a GREAT eye at the plate though, and some good mechanics. You can see the tools there if he can stay healthy and put it together.

I'm trying to figure out how to make a trip to Salisbury now, that team is loaded, and seeing them early for a series would be amazing.
@JeremyMStrain

#7 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

Saw Machado and Schoop last year when Frederick was in Wilmington. Schoop was noticeably more filled out than Machado; Manny was pretty lean and obviously had a lot of room to fill out. The sound off Schoop's bat as he got the barrel of the bat on an inside fastball was that of a shotgun. Manny had a non-descript evening, like 1-4 with a single or something. Now apparently Machado gained 20 pounds worth of muscle over the winter; he looked like a beast in the pics of him in spring training. Really looking forward to getting to Bowie to see these guys.
@BSLLukeJackson

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Saw Machado and Schoop last year when Frederick was in Wilmington. Schoop was noticeably more filled out than Machado; Manny was pretty lean and obviously had a lot of room to fill out. The sound off Schoop's bat as he got the barrel of the bat on an inside fastball was that of a shotgun. Manny had a non-descript evening, like 1-4 with a single or something. Now apparently Machado gained 20 pounds worth of muscle over the winter; he looked like a beast in the pics of him in spring training. Really looking forward to getting to Bowie to see these guys.

I remembered hearing the same thing, so the first thing I was looking for was the size difference. Schoop was still a LITTLE bit thicker, but they were just about the same size. Manny was tall, but didn't really look lanky like he's been described before, and that shotgun thing definitely applied to him last night, he about hit the cover off the ball in his first two. Just smooth fast swings right on the button. Before he ripped the single to CF, he just missed another HR, perfect swing for it, but got under it a little bit this time and fouled it back.

Let me know when you are planning on going out there and maybe I'll come meet up with you and compare notes.

PS. You going to be at any of the MD games the next 3 weekends? I have some guys to see for NC State, Duke and Clemson and will be out for at least one game each series.
@JeremyMStrain

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

In the 5th inning tonight, Machado is 0 for 3, with a k. Schoop is 0 for 2.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Machado 0 for 3 today, with a walk, and a throwing error.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Machado was 2 for 4 today, and is now 5 for his first 15 at the AA level.

Schoop was 0 for 4 today, and is now 2 for his first 11 at AA.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Machado was 2 for 5 tonight, with his 2nd HR, and 3 RBI.
Schoop was 0 for 4.

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Machado has had 3 walks the last two nights.

Now 8 for 27 (.296), with 2 hr's, 2 doubles, 4 rbi, 4 bb's, and 7 k's.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Machado 2 for 4, with a walk tonight.

Schoop was 2 for 5, with an RBI.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

4/15: Machado was 2 for 4 with a double, and RBI. Schoop was 2 for 3 with a double.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:51 AM

4/16: Machado was 1 for 4, with 2 rbi. Was caught stealing, and had an error.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

4/17 Schoop: 1 for 3, with a double, and a walk.

Machado: 1 for 3, with a walk, and his 3rd error.

#18 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Schoop's overall numbers aren't pretty, but he's 7-19 with 3 walks and just 1 strikeout over his last 5 games.

I'm not worried about him. I like how they have moved the two of them up through the system together. Is the plan for them both to make it to Triple A at some point this season, assuming they aren't struggling? I would certainly like to think we will see them at some time in 2013.

@AdamWolff

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

4/20: Machado was 0 for 3, wit a bb, and his 2nd steal. Schoop was 1 for 4.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,077 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:13 AM

CSN Baltimore: Machado starting slowly at Bowie
http://www.csnbaltim...064&feedID=6704

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=