120 replies to this topic

#101 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

Boston decided it didn't want the Olympics, so they're out.  The USOC has until September 15 to nominate a US city to the IOC, if they can find one that's interested.

http://deadspin.com/...pics-1720439845

http://www.washingto...pics-to-boston/

#102 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

Congratulations, Boston. Smartest thing you've done up in that chowderhead-infested hole since dumping all that tea in the harbor.

#103 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:26 AM

Good for Boston. They'll be paying off the Big Dig for the next 50 years, no sense in strapping yourselves even further for the Olympics.

Fuck these corrupt, strong-arm, greedy institutions like the IOC and FIFA that want cities and countries to bankrupt themselves to host a 2 week sporting event.

IMO, the summer Olympics things should be in the same place every year -- Athens, Greece -- where they began. Greece could use the influx of cash right about now, no? Then there'd be no more need to build stadiums that become white elephants the minute the closing ceremony begins. If that makes these old IOC windbags a little less money, oh well.

Or, have one site per continent host these events in a rotation, so the same thing doesn't keep happening over and over again.

• mweb08 likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#104 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

Can't wait for Antarctica 2028, Sean

#105 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:41 AM

Athens might be a little gun shy, though:

http://gizmodo.com/t...0-ye-1617897127

#106 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:50 AM

I'm sure there will always be some pseudo-dictatorship out there that will step up and give the IOC and FIFA what they want, since their citizens have no say in the matter, just to put on a Potemkin-like show for a couple weeks and distract the rest of the world from how shitty life really is in the country. But I think it's telling, and a major positive, that more democratic countries are starting to tell these corrupt organizations to stick it.

#107 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:01 PM

Athens might be a little gun shy, though:

http://gizmodo.com/t...0-ye-1617897127

I'm sure it would cost millions to get those venues up and running again but at least it won't cost billions. They at least have a foundation to build upon.

But still. The IOC can eat D-I-C-K

• Don Quixote likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#108 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:57 PM

I heard somewhere that the IOC has Los Angeles as the plan B for every Olympics, because they have the infrastructure in place to hold one on very short notice.

Nothing at the IOC is going to change until there is a major disaster at a summer or winter Games. Not a natural disaster, but something man-made:

- Structural collapse from shoddy, corrupt construction

- Terrorist attack from incompetent security

- Local unrest/protest crushed during the Games

They are getting into bed with some very iffy people to get the perks to which they are accustomed. Until they are embarrassed to the point where no one can take them seriously, or nations don't want to send delegations, that will keep up.

@DJ_McCann

#109 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

I heard somewhere that the IOC has Los Angeles as the plan B for every Olympics, because they have the infrastructure in place to hold one on very short notice.

Nothing at the IOC is going to change until there is a major disaster at a summer or winter Games. Not a natural disaster, but something man-made:

- Structural collapse from shoddy, corrupt construction

- Terrorist attack from incompetent security

- Local unrest/protest crushed during the Games

They are getting into bed with some very iffy people to get the perks to which they are accustomed. Until they are embarrassed to the point where no one can take them seriously, or nations don't want to send delegations, that will keep up.

munich_hostage.jpg

28CL02_OLYMPICS_EXPLOSI_65045.jpg

#110 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:36 PM

Can't wait for Antarctica 2028, Sean

With climate change proceeding unabated, that will be a Summer Games host site by 2028.

#111 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:48 PM

munich_hostage.jpg

28CL02_OLYMPICS_EXPLOSI_65045.jpg

I'm talking about a different level from that. More like "bomb taking out the aquatics center" or "plane crashes into the media headquarters".

@DJ_McCann

#112 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

I'm talking about a different level from that. More like "bomb taking out the aquatics center" or "plane crashes into the media headquarters".

So the murder of athletes/coaches and attendees isn't enough to be considered a terrorist attack? You have pretty high standards.

• DuffMan likes this

#113 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

So the murder of athletes/coaches and attendees isn't enough to be considered a terrorist attack? You have pretty high standards.

You think the IOC would change anything based on the level of attack you bring up?

Maybe Munich, because of the current level of theoretical security and the breakdown that would need to occur. But certainly not Centennial Park.

@DJ_McCann

#114 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,275 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

You think the IOC would change anything based on the level of attack you bring up?

Maybe Munich, because of the current level of theoretical security and the breakdown that would need to occur. But certainly not Centennial Park.

I don't think the IOC would change for any reason that doesn't hit their wallets. My point is we have already seen at least two terrorist attacks (that I can recall) during the modern era of the Olympics, and they did little to nothing other than blame the locals. Oh, and they also unapologetically allowed this guy to be the host one time.

4,w=559,c=0.bild.jpg

#115 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:49 PM

DC should strong arm. They have the facilities available without needing much upgrades, new facilities built. Tell the ioc we'll take it but on our terms. If not. Eat a bowl of d!cks.

#116 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

DC should strong arm. They have the facilities available without needing much upgrades, new facilities built. Tell the ioc we'll take it but on our terms. If not. Eat a bowl of d!cks.

The IOC will laugh. They already have multiple candidates. This isn't like the 2022 Winter Games, which is down to China and Kazakhstan.

@DJ_McCann

#117 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

Well then the ioc can help themselves to a bowl of you know what. Dc traffic is bad as is

#118 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

Just to add to my earlier point, we are going to see more and more developed cities and nations refusing to take on the expense of hosting an Olympics. The IOC won't really care, though. For the 2022 Winter Olympics, Krakow, Poland, Oslo, Norway, and Stockholm, Sweden, all dropped out, leaving Almaty, Kazakhstan, and Beijing, China. Both of those would be expected to follow the Sochi profile of massive corruption on all levels, including lining the pockets of IOC members.

As long as those kind of cities and nations are still in play, the IOC can and will continue down their current path. It will only be when the lack of hosting interest intersects with a major incident embarrassing the organization that change might occur.

@DJ_McCann

#119 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:08 AM

Thinking about DC hosting, with minimal building expenses for new facilities...

- Opening ceremony on the mall with portable risers

- Rehab RFK

- Nats Park, OPACY, M&T and FedEx field all within a 40 mile radius

- Not to mention dozens of colleges with olympic sized pools, field houses and gymnasiums

- Rivers & Bays for boating

- World Class mass transit, even between DC and Baltimore (some improvements could be made there)

I am sure the IOC demands construction contracts, all that greased palm BS, but DC could pull it off probably better than most cities in the running, and they could do it for cheap. So it's probably a good decision to tell the IOC to pound sand.

#120 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 July 2015 - 01:14 PM

Thinking about DC hosting, with minimal building expenses for new facilities...

- Opening ceremony on the mall with portable risers
- Rehab RFK
- Nats Park, OPACY, M&T and FedEx field all within a 40 mile radius
- Not to mention dozens of colleges with olympic sized pools, field houses and gymnasiums
- Rivers & Bays for boating
- World Class mass transit, even between DC and Baltimore (some improvements could be made there)

I am sure the IOC demands construction contracts, all that greased palm BS, but DC could pull it off probably better than most cities in the running, and they could do it for cheap. So it's probably a good decision to tell the IOC to pound sand.

More likely RFK will be redskins home by then and FedEx will be renovated to be pure Olympic with plans to tear it down after I'd guess.
@JeremyMStrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=