333 replies to this topic

#281 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 12:13 PM

Jomboy is such a tool. Classic Yankee fan. Some of these breakdowns are pretty good but he's  an ass. 

#282 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 June 2021 - 12:45 PM

Sometimes you cant help yourself.

a few years ago, I had food poisonings and projectile vomiting's and was barely able to get to the bathroom.

Wife was like, you could have yeast hit the inside of the toilet next time. I was like, next time, dont even want a next time.

She found me a bucket and that was pretty helpful. :)

#283 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 18 August 2021 - 07:10 PM

Imagine having a racist broadcaster so ingrained in your team's history that you'd never fire him...

#284 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 23 August 2021 - 06:43 AM

CBS Sports: Miguel Cabrera's 500th home run: Looking at his most significant career homers

https://www.cbssport...-career-homers/

#285 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 09:09 AM

Looks like 5/80-ish for ERod.

Left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez and the Detroit Tigers are in agreement on a five-year deal with between $77 million and $80 million, sources tell ESPN.

#286 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 10:47 AM

Looks like 5/80-ish for ERod.

Left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez and the Detroit Tigers are in agreement on a five-year deal with between $77 million and $80 million, sources tell ESPN.

I would have happily done that. 

#287 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 10:51 AM

Since he signed somewhere else for that amount you can add more money to the deal if you wanted a chance to lure him to BMore.

#288 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 10:57 AM

Since he signed somewhere else for that amount you can add more money to the deal if you wanted a chance to lure him to BMore.

If you want to say the O's are playing with Confederate money, and there would be an Oriole tax... okay... but he signed with Detroit. Can't be that much.

4 years for him would be ideal.  But the AAV for this deal is very good.  His peripherals were very solid. 

Could have targeted him and Alex Wood... signed them both, and it would have been a great Winter for the O's.

Not enough to contend in '22 when you are in a division with 4 teams capable of 90+ wins... but Rodriguez and Wood, and the representative lineup the O's can have... 75-80 wins was obtainable. 

Go get Wood, and find another decent option. They exist. 

• Mackus likes this

#289 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 November 2021 - 12:09 PM

Interesting deal for the Tigers.  I'm not big on it, but if they're comfortable with it, ok.

This sort of feels like Boston/someone was on 4/60 and it was 1+1 to get him away (plus a year, plus 1M/per)...otherwise, take the 18.4M and get a bigger deal next year.

Erod is compensated so there's really no reason for the Tigers to stop now....

#290 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:25 PM

Opt out after year two, 2/28 for those seasons.

Good deal for both parties.

#291 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:47 PM

Solid deal for both sides.

I expect ERod to have a better year than 2021, and he gets to pitch in the bigger ball park.

@mikeghg

#292 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:49 PM

If you want to say the O's are playing with Confederate money, and there would be an Oriole tax... okay... but he signed with Detroit. Can't be that much.

4 years for him would be ideal.  But the AAV for this deal is very good.  His peripherals were very solid. 

Could have targeted him and Alex Wood... signed them both, and it would have been a great Winter for the O's.

Not enough to contend in '22 when you are in a division with 4 teams capable of 90+ wins... but Rodriguez and Wood, and the representative lineup the O's can have... 75-80 wins was obtainable. 

Go get Wood, and find another decent option. They exist. 

I like your way of thinking, but I do not believe the Orioles have any thoughts on spending.

@mikeghg

#293 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:59 PM

I like your way of thinking, but I do not believe the Orioles have any thoughts on spending.

I havent not seen the first hint that they will, either.

#294 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,777 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 02:00 PM

Are you guys kidding!?  Every Rule 5 draft pick costs $100,000!

• Mike B likes this

#295 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 November 2021 - 02:18 PM

I guess it's good that he got an opt out, but if his goal was to maximize his earnings, he didn't do it.

He had 1/18.4 in the bag and could re-enter the FA market in 1 year at 30 (not 2 at 31) without baggage, playing for a competitive Boston team.  It's much less likely he sees 17M AAV 2 years from now (much more risk).  A really good year and next year he could have something like 6/100....go 2 years and you probably stay on this deal. 

#296 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 02:24 PM

He had a pretty significant health scare a year ago. Getting that 80M guaranteed today may have had a lot of value to him. 

• Mike B likes this

#297 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 15 November 2021 - 02:27 PM

I could definitely see getting out of Boston being good for the ticker.

#298 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,728 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 15 November 2021 - 02:53 PM

He had a pretty significant health scare a year ago. Getting that 80M guaranteed today may have had a lot of value to him. 

I'm OK with everyone making the choices that best suit them....but I think communities like this are inconsistent when it comes to the narrative on why and what guys sign for.

There was an easy way for him to reasonably make well more money in his career.  He's already made close to 25M so he can retire tomorrow, go to an island and drink margaritas for the rest of his life and it's all good.  Locking up 80M is cool and he can go to maybe his own island....but taking the QO and hitting the FA market next year would more reasonably put him closer 120M.

Now if 80M now is better than 120M total ok, but let's apply that (at least in consideration) everywhere (like, for example, the John Means discussion)

#299 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,630 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 November 2021 - 03:21 PM

I havent not seen the first hint that they will, either.

Maybe they can defer some of that huge expense.

@mikeghg

#300 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 03:40 PM

Way too rich for the Orioles blood by about $75 million

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors