21 replies to this topic

#1 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Not quite sure what to think of this. Has anyone been to an Urban Bar-B-Que? More a D.C. area thing, but with this deal there could certainly be some coming Baltimore's way before too long.

http://www.prweb.com...web11062656.htm

#2 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ledo Pizza is probably the worst pizza I've ever had so I don't know how they can help a BBQ place, much less any restaurant.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,427 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:14 PM

Ledo Pizza is probably the worst pizza I've ever had so I don't know how they can help a BBQ place, much less any restaurant.

The original in College Park is far better than any of the other locations.

#4 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:48 PM

Blasphemy.

• Mackus, JHTerp01 and Markus like this
@JeremyMStrain

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

One in White Marsh is not bad. Decent little bar.

#6 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

The stuff I had I wouldn't even call pizza.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

The stuff I had I wouldn't even call pizza.

I know a lot of people turned off by the sweet sauce and the fact they don't use mozzerella, but I love me some Ledo's.

@JeremyMStrain

#8 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:24 PM

Ledo's is some good eating. Especially with the little pools of grease in each piece of pepperoni.

Back when I was at UMD we'd make the 2 minute drive down 193, grab some pizza and beer than stop off at Tic-Toc to pick up some booze before taking some back-roads home for more drinking.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,464 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:49 PM

The crust was worse than generic frozen pizza.

Honestly, it's been a few years and I've tried to force the experience out of my memory.

Give me a mom & pop NY style pizza place any day.

#10 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:06 PM

The crust was worse than generic frozen pizza.

Honestly, it's been a few years and I've tried to force the experience out of my memory.

Give me a mom & pop NY style pizza place any day.

I LOVE me a good old legit NY style slice, it's my favorite, but I really like Ledos as a change of pace. You just can't compare it to any kind of pizza you know. It's like NY Style, Deep Dish and Ledos are all different animals.

@JeremyMStrain

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Guess I'll have to give it a try at some point when I go to a Terps game, didn't realize I had been missing out all these years.

@levineps

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

So what's the tie-in, is there going to be some BBQ piazzas? I like those from CPK.

@levineps

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:23 PM

So what's the tie-in, is there going to be some BBQ piazzas? I like those from CPK.

They already have those on the menu. Maybe it will be a branded thing now? Maybe they'll simply start selling each other's food?

@DJ_McCann

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

They already have those on the menu. Maybe it will be a branded thing now? Maybe they'll simply start selling each other's food?

I dislike their piazza, I always get pasta when I go there (which actually is decent IMO). My guess would be the branding. But what does Urban BBQ have to gain from this then?

@levineps

#15 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:29 PM

I dislike their piazza, I always get pasta when I go there (which actually is decent IMO). My guess would be the branding. But what does Urban BBQ have to gain from this then?

Expansion into Baltimore without having to take the risk of opening new locations.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DJ_McCann

#16 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

Actually tried the Urban BBQ down here by Silver Spring. It was good, albeit a bit expensive. 

Andy Nelson's is worlds better. 

#17 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

As I thought, Ledo bought in - percentage not revealed, but it is a minority stake.

http://www.bizjourna...ice-of-bbq.html

There are definitely worse pizzas out there than Ledo, though I can guarantee that the quality isn't always consistent over all locations at all times, just as with the vast majority of franchise/chain restaurants. I recall eating at the Crofton location in '06 and was sorely disappointed. It wasn't what I was used to at the La Plata location, which has had remarkable consistency in its product, and it just wasn't very good. I haven't been back to that location (one of the first ones outside Adelphi) since, though I might give it a shot again at some point, as I now live much closer to it, relatively speaking. I've had good experiences with the more-established or well-traveled Southern Maryland locations (La Plata, Waldorf, Charlotte Hall, Prince Frederick, Leonardtown), though it's been awhile since I've been to the Waldorf one. The way things have gone downhill in that area, who knows how it is there now. The Fredericksburg area locations are all right; the one at the Hospitality House near Central Park seems to cook their pizzas a bit longer than at other locations, while if memory serves, the Cosner's Corner/Massaponax location is about average. Salisbury's first location (out off Nanticoke Road near the Food Lion) is okay; I haven't been to the second one near campus. The Severna Park location makes the sharpest corners I have ever seen on a Ledo pizza; they're usually a bit rounded off, but I haven't encountered that here, at least not yet. I never got to go to the original in Adelphi (now the College Park location); I just never get to that area. The La Plata location is my favorite - hometown bias?

I think the partnership may be more about driving Urban Bar-B-Que's desired expansion, using best practices of Ledo Pizza System as a guide. Urban Bar-B-Que doesn't currently have the same menu or pricing between any of its five locations; more standardization will likely take place through LPS. LPS may have just seen something they like, can help with, and potentially make a decent chunk off of, though there certainly is an image contrast between the two entities. I'm not sure about product offering, though it's possible Ledo could offer some small items for appetizers/sandwiches to help drive Urban brand awareness, as that's where Ledo has seemed to go furthest astray of the core Italian concept. Doubt the reverse will happen.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

As I thought, Ledo bought in - percentage not revealed, but it is a minority stake.

http://www.bizjourna...ice-of-bbq.html

There are definitely worse pizzas out there than Ledo, though I can guarantee that the quality isn't always consistent over all locations at all times, just as with the vast majority of franchise/chain restaurants. I recall eating at the Crofton location in '06 and was sorely disappointed. It wasn't what I was used to at the La Plata location, which has had remarkable consistency in its product, and it just wasn't very good. I haven't been back to that location (one of the first ones outside Adelphi) since, though I might give it a shot again at some point, as I now live much closer to it, relatively speaking. I've had good experiences with the more-established or well-traveled Southern Maryland locations (La Plata, Waldorf, Charlotte Hall, Prince Frederick, Leonardtown), though it's been awhile since I've been to the Waldorf one. The way things have gone downhill in that area, who knows how it is there now. The Fredericksburg area locations are all right; the one at the Hospitality House near Central Park seems to cook their pizzas a bit longer than at other locations, while if memory serves, the Cosner's Corner/Massaponax location is about average. Salisbury's first location (out off Nanticoke Road near the Food Lion) is okay; I haven't been to the second one near campus. The Severna Park location makes the sharpest corners I have ever seen on a Ledo pizza; they're usually a bit rounded off, but I haven't encountered that here, at least not yet. I never got to go to the original in Adelphi (now the College Park location); I just never get to that area. The La Plata location is my favorite - hometown bias?

I think the partnership may be more about driving Urban Bar-B-Que's desired expansion, using best practices of Ledo Pizza System as a guide. Urban Bar-B-Que doesn't currently have the same menu or pricing between any of its five locations; more standardization will likely take place through LPS. LPS may have just seen something they like, can help with, and potentially make a decent chunk off of, though there certainly is an image contrast between the two entities. I'm not sure about product offering, though it's possible Ledo could offer some small items for appetizers/sandwiches to help drive Urban brand awareness, as that's where Ledo has seemed to go furthest astray of the core Italian concept. Doubt the reverse will happen.

How many Ledo's have you been to?

@levineps

#19 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

How many Ledo's have you been to?

All the ones in the post...so 10, it looks like. The La Plata one I've been to many times because I grew up there and it's been around since the early '90s. All others once to a handful of times. Mind you, this is over a 20+ year span.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

All the ones in the post. The La Plata one I've been to many times because I grew up there and it's been around since the early '90s. All others once to a handful of times. Mind you, this is over a 20+ year span.

I really don't mean this as sarcasm (so sorry if it comes across that way) -- but I was impressed how you broke it all down. I have a hard time doing at those type of chains. There are certain Starbucks I try to avoid, but that's about it.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=