#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:28 PM

Baltimore Sun: Next challenge for the Kentucky Wildcats? Maryland
http://www.baltimore...,0,669102.story

I've been saying for awhile that I think this game can be the equivalent of the Terps vs. Georgetown in '93. In a way, I wish Kentucky was going to be able to return a large portion of their team. Still, no matter who leaves for the pros, the defending champs will have plenty of talent, and will be getting plenty of attention.

Maryland will have the opportunity to get the attention of everyone right way.

#2 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

Baltimore Sun: Next challenge for the Kentucky Wildcats? Maryland
http://www.baltimore...,0,669102.story

I've been saying for awhile that I think this game can be the equivalent of the Terps vs. Georgetown in '93. In a way, I wish Kentucky was going to be able to return a large portion of their team. Still, no matter who leaves for the pros, the defending champs will have plenty of talent, and will be getting plenty of attention.

Maryland will have the opportunity to get the attention of everyone right way.

Winner take-Harrisons?
@PeterDiLutis

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:40 AM

Winner take-Harrisons?

Maybe. I still think Kentucky is the heavy favorite.

Kentucky did land Nerlens Noel last week, I was hoping they would also get Muhammad.

This article (http://www.thespread...ct-nerlens-noel says that if Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Marquis Teague, Doron Lamb, and Terrence Jones all depart; that Kentucky's projected starting rotation is likely sophomores Ryan Harrow and Kyle Wiltjer and freshmen Archie Goodwin, Alex Poythress and Noel.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Great for exposure purposes, you are playing the premier program in college basketball right now. Not expecting the Terps to even be competitive, you never know but I think they'll get blown out. Nonetheless, it's nice having this game and not some meaningless game against a school I've never heard of.
@levineps

#5 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:05 PM

Great for exposure purposes, you are playing the premier program in college basketball right now. Not expecting the Terps to even be competitive, you never know but I think they'll get blown out. Nonetheless, it's nice having this game and not some meaningless game against a school I've never heard of.

Maryland can absolutely be competitive in this game.

Kentucky will have a brand new rotation that they'll have to work-in and don't underestimate the early season title hangover (although some of that is invalid considering it is pretty much a brand new team.)

Of course, Kentucky will have more talent on paper and should win but the Terps absolutely could win this game. Not to mention there this game will be much more important for MD compared to Kentucky.
@PeterDiLutis

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,423 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:36 AM

Well all 5 Kentucky starters did declare for the draft.

http://espn.go.com/n... ... -nba-draft

They'll have an entire new squad essentially. Wiltjer is the only guy returning who averaged more than 3 mpg for the season.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:47 AM

Maryland can absolutely be competitive in this game.

Kentucky will have a brand new rotation that they'll have to work-in and don't underestimate the early season title hangover (although some of that is invalid considering it is pretty much a brand new team.)

Of course, Kentucky will have more talent on paper and should win but the Terps absolutely could win this game. Not to mention there this game will be much more important for MD compared to Kentucky.

With any other program including one like UNC, I would tend to agree with you. Kentucky has a new roster pretty much every year. The formula has worked for them.

The only reason Kentucky has not won in the past despite always having more talent on the floor is because of inexperience. They're is something to be said about teams that have been together 3-4 years and that's why I think some mid-majors do very well in the tourney. If the Kentucky recruiting class is as good as expected, I just don't see Maryland really geting to Kentucky's level.
@levineps

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

This game is right around the corner. Anyone planning on going to Brooklyn?

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

No, but this is one of the most anticipated OOC Terps games I can remember in quite a while. I can't wait.

#10 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:52 PM

I'm thinking about it. It isn't too far away, in a brand-new arena and what should be a very good Terps team against the defending champions.

Might be worth the trip.

#11 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

I grew up and lived in KY up until 3 years ago. I used to love UK basketball because who played for the Cats and the way the program was run. Then AD Mitch Barnhart runs off Tubby Smith and turned the program into a NBA factory. The players they bring in now don't give a damn about the tradition and are only there due to a formality. I've been trying to find a reason to get into Terps basketball and I bet this is the game that pushes me over to it.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

I grew up and lived in KY up until 3 years ago. I used to love UK basketball because who played for the Cats and the way the program was run. Then AD Mitch Barnhart runs off Tubby Smith and turned the program into a NBA factory. The players they bring in now don't give a damn about the tradition and are only there due to a formality. I've been trying to find a reason to get into Terps basketball and I bet this is the game that pushes me over to it.

Winning > tradition, it's that simple. Think Notre Dame is happy living off of stuff that mostly happened in the Holtz era if not before? Smith hasn't exactly been a success at Minnesota. I'm not a Cal fan at all, but he wins. And you have to do that (and not get caught cheating). That being said, it be nice if you could win with class, but that's pretty rare.
@levineps

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

This game is right around the corner. Anyone planning on going to Brooklyn?

I think WNST is doing a bus trip.
@levineps

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Dickie V just tweeted that was going to be his first game of the year.
@levineps

#15 mdak06

mdak06
  • Members
  • 198 posts
  • LocationBethany Beach, DE

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

I think if Wells is eligible, this game will be very, very interesting. Turgeon did more than I think most of us expected last year, with Len gone for a while, Howard out-then-in-then-out-again, and a short bench. He might be able to get this team of new guys gelling together quicker than we expect.

That's my hope anyway.

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Dickie V just tweeted that was going to be his first game of the year.

I saw that. It will give him a chance to preview the Duke squad while doing Md/Ky.
@mikeghg

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

I saw that. It will give him a chance to preview the Duke squad while doing Md/Ky.

"Dukie V." What I was trying to get a though, the game is a big deal.
@levineps

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

"Dukie V." What I was trying to get a though, the game is a big deal.

I know and your right it is a big deal. I am really on the fence as to how I feel this Maryland season will play out. I will be tuned into this game for a barometer.

As for Dukie V, I could not resist. Much like Thorne has to get his Jeter references into every Oriole game, Vitale can not resist mentioning his kissing cousins, Duke Blue Devils in every game he does.
@mikeghg

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

As for Dukie V, I could not resist. Much like Thorne has to get his Jeter references into every Oriole game, Vitale can not resist mentioning his kissing cousins, Duke Blue Devils in every game he does.

I'll take it if means less Jim Hunter!
@levineps

#20 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'll take it if means less Jim Hunter!

Both to me are akin to chinese water torture.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=