8 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,087 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

ESPN: http://espn.go.com/m...-moving-2012-13

Andy Katz is listed as the author, but he says this is the combined effort of several colleagues.

The Terps do not show in the Top 25, but do show in the '15 more on the cusp.'

Three ACC teams appear ranked, with NCST checking in at #6, UNC #11, and Duke at #15. FSU is in the '15 more on the cusp.'

Future ACC teams Syracuse is #14, and Pittsburgh is also in the '15 more on the cusp.'

Katz says not to take these rankings too seriously, as they will have another look soon enough.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:07 AM

NC State will have a ton of talent next season. They underachieved for most of last season, but really put things together down the stretch. Will be interesting to see if they can play at a high level for the entire season.

I'm super excited about the Terps next year. I think it's entirely reasonable to have the NCAA tournament be the goal.

#3 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

NC State will have a ton of talent next season. They underachieved for most of last season, but really put things together down the stretch. Will be interesting to see if they can play at a high level for the entire season.

I'm super excited about the Terps next year. I think it's entirely reasonable to have the NCAA tournament be the goal.

If the Terps really considered themselves a top 10-15 program, the goal should always be the Tournament. I don't think that this hierachy stands still like some. I think the program has lost a bit of it's luster (look at the attendance) and that was evident by getting their sixth or so choice. I actually really like Turgeon, but a top 10-15 program would not have to settle for that kind of selection.
@levineps

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

If the Terps really considered themselves a top 10-15 program, the goal should always be the Tournament. I don't think that this hierachy stands still like some. I think the program has lost a bit of it's luster (look at the attendance) and that was evident by getting their sixth or so choice. I actually really like Turgeon, but a top 10-15 program would not have to settle for that kind of selection.

The goal will always be the tournament, and next year will be the first year back. I disagree completely that Turgeon was their "sixth or so" choice or that he's someone we had to settle for. Miller was definitely the first choice and I'm still disappointed that he turned us down, but Turgeon wasn't way down the list and is a far better hire IMO than Mike Brey or Jay Wright or most of the other guys mentioned at the time. I don't think Stevens or some of the other guys people were mentioning at the time were really considered or approached, although I don't know for certain. I do know for certain that Turgeon was a fantastic choice and I'm very excited about where he's going to take the program.

The Terps will be a top 10-15 program going forward. My more specific goal is to consistently be the best program in the ACC behind UNC and Duke. We'll have better teams than those schools from time to time, but I don't think surpassing them as a program is really possible. I do think passing all other ACC schools, including incoming Syracuse, is something that is attainable.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:25 PM

The Terps will be a top 10-15 program going forward. My more specific goal is to consistently be the best program in the ACC behind UNC and Duke. We'll have better teams than those schools from time to time, but I don't think surpassing them as a program is really possible. I do think passing all other ACC schools, including incoming Syracuse, is something that is attainable.

Anthony Grant was actually the first choice, I know that KA met with him before Gary even officially left. You can make as many excuses as you want but Turgeon clearly wasn't one of their top choices. You also left off Jamie Dixon who was considered more.

I'm not arguing that Turgeon was a downgrade. I'm arguing a top 10-15 program doesn't get turned down by as many as MD does. Else your arguing that programs like Arizona, Pittsburgh, Alabama, Notre Dame, Butler, etc are similar to if not better than Maryland. You can't have it both ways.
@levineps

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:49 PM

From what I understand there were feelers sent out to a handfull of coaches, one of which was Turgeon. Miller was the 1st choice all along. Officially he was the only one to turn the job down. Md isn't a tier 1 basketball school but it's only a stepping stone for elite programs. Elite meaning like 5 or 6 schools. Some might look at a Dixon or Jay Wright having no interest in coming here as a disappointment but it's a lateral move. They are top 15-20 programs as well and why make a lateral move if you are comfortable where you are and don't have to follow a legend at MD like Gary Williams.

All of that doesn't really matter. Turg was a good hire. He's Gary with the desire to recruit. He pulled a top 15 class in his first year after starting late. Not bad at all. I set the bar pretty high next year. There is no reason we shouldn't be a tournament team. I like what we have coming back and I think most of the freshmen can make a positive contribution.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:40 AM

Anthony Grant was actually the first choice, I know that KA met with him before Gary even officially left. You can make as many excuses as you want but Turgeon clearly wasn't one of their top choices. You also left off Jamie Dixon who was considered more.

I'm not arguing that Turgeon was a downgrade. I'm arguing a top 10-15 program doesn't get turned down by as many as MD does. Else your arguing that programs like Arizona, Pittsburgh, Alabama, Notre Dame, Butler, etc are similar to if not better than Maryland. You can't have it both ways.

Miller was the only one ever offered the job. There may have been other backroom conversations that happened in between the first choice and the final hire, but I don't think Maryland was shamed at all by the process of hiring a new coach. And without any of that backroom stuff out in the open, it's difficult to comment on it with any authority.

Anderson likely botched the Miller interview and negotiations, but not the whole process. And whatever Anderson's short list might have been to start the search, I think Turgeon was definitely on it considering he was highly recommended by Gary himself. I don't necessarily agree that so many guys turned us down. Nor do I really care (although I badly wanted Miller). Since Miller was the only one ever offered the job, I don't know if putting out feelers to guys who likely won't leave their programs (Stevens, Dixon, Wright) or you might not even be all that interested in but feel obligated to gauge their interest (Brey) necessarily means that you had those guys rated more highly than someone else on that list (Turgeon, Grant).

Turgeon has impressed me more than I expected, which perhaps changes my perspective a bit. This will be a top 10-15 program. It was under Gary, slipped late during his tenure, and we've hired someone who will get the program back to where it should be, IMO, which is firmly third in the ACC overall, winning league titles every few years, nearly constantly in the tournament, and often making 2nd weekend or further runs.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,087 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

All of that doesn't really matter. Turg was a good hire. He's Gary with the desire to recruit. He pulled a top 15 class in his first year after starting late. Not bad at all. I set the bar pretty high next year. There is no reason we shouldn't be a tournament team. I like what we have coming back and I think most of the freshmen can make a positive contribution.

This team should be in everyone's Top 25 next year, and the expectation should be a team capable of winning the ACC.

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

http://collegebasket... ... rojection/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors