• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Isn't Ariza the guy that was a reserve last year, injured most of the year before that and has only been good when playing with either Kobe Bryant or John Wall? I think you're right that someone is going to pay Ariza but I think that team is going to regret it.

Yeah I think he's got value in the right role, but that role isn't a $9m role, even at $7.7 that he made last year that's on the high side for a borderline 6th man.

Gortat on the other hand, it's pretty hard to find true centers, especially ones that WANT to be here and have a great relationship with our starting point guard.

@JeremyMStrain

#42 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:06 AM

David Lee and Klay Thompson?

Awful trade for GS.  You're getting rid of Kevin Love, Jr. basically (without the shooting ability) and adding in your starting SG for one year of Love before he hits FA anyway.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#43 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Awful trade for GS.  You're getting rid of Kevin Love, Jr. basically (without the shooting ability) and adding in your starting SG for one year of Love before he hits FA anyway.

Don't disagree.....I don't think they do this deal without an extension though.

But I agree with you.

However, if a deal is made with GS, I think both of those players would be in it.

Now, maybe something else is coming back from Minnesota, like Kevin Martin.

I'm sure Barnes could also be in it....can they get Love for Barnes, Lee and picks? Maybe.

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:42 PM

Well....

http://m.espn.go.com...toryId=11108483

#45 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

If GS is getting Martin and the 13th pick in addition to Love its a good deal for them assuming they get a long term deal worked out ahead of time.

Lee is 31. Thompson is a good young SG, but you're talking about the premier PF in the game. A top 5 player in the league in Love. Plus Martin and a top 13 pick in a deep draft.

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

I understand their hand is somewhat being forced, but Minnesota would be dumb to throw in the #13 pick. The trade ought to be good for both teams without including that, particularly if GS is confident Love will stick around.

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:26 PM

BTW...Thompson's PER was only 14 this year. Not that good.

I know he is young and has the exposure as a splash brother but what is the upside exactly.

For comparison sake Martin's PER was 18 or 19.

#48 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

Mike and I talked about this tonight....if you can get Martin in this deal, you don't even think about it.

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:01 PM

If they get Martin and the 13th pick, plus they can either extend Love or get word that he'd like to stay there, this is a trade Golden State has to make IMO. Love is significantly better than Lee and the short-term difference between Martin and Thompson is not significant IMO. 

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

BTW...Thompson's PER was only 14 this year. Not that good.

I know he is young and has the exposure as a splash brother but what is the upside exactly.

For comparison sake Martin's PER was 18 or 19.

A poor man's Reggie Miller on offense with better defense. Obviously without the trash talk as well and likely pales in comparison in terms of overall competitive fire. 

#51 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

You know what, if Im getting the 13th pick I would do this trade if I was GS without the promise of an extension for Love.

Consider, as much as I like Lee, moving that contract and the cap space if you cant resign Love is better than having Lee should Lee start a sig decline. That's certainly possible since he is 31.

#52 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:31 AM

Based on reports, the Warriors are split on trading Thompson.

Thought this tweet from Glockner was interesting:

@AndyGlockner: I like Klay Thompson, the player.

I don't like being the team left holding the bag when he has to get real paid.

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Somewhat lost in all the Cavs hype is that this is a pretty good deal for the Wolves. Rarely, if ever, do you get equal value when you are so publicly forced to trade a star player. But Minnesota did better than many teams in that situation, IMO. In the long run Wiggins has the potential to be as good if not better than Love, and despite a disastrous rookie campaign Bennett can still develop into a solid contributor if he really wants to.

And playing in Minnesota might be better for the development of both players too. As great a teammate and facilitator as LeBron is, his presence would likely have forced both Wiggins and Bennett to either play out of their natural positions and/or significantly reduced their minutes and opportunities. Conversely, they should be able to mesh nicely with one of the league's best passers in Rubio and a solid post player (at least offensively) in Pekovic. That group is unlikely to win many games initially....but without the expectations of winning right now, like they would have in Cleveland, that shouldn't be an issue that overrides the development of a relatively young core. Add in Martin (if they don't move him) and that also lightens the scoring load Wiggins will have to assume right away. And when winning does matter, if they can move some salary like Martin, Barrea, and Shved the Wolves could have the flexibility to add to a decent core.

#54 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

I'm surprised the Cavs aren't shipping off Waiters as well.

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

Bennett is going to Philly with Thad Young going to Minnesota.

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Philly has to be getting more than just Bennett.

#57 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#58 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

Philly has to be getting more than just Bennett.

Why?

#59 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Why?

Because Young is a productive player and just turned 26, so just hit his prime. Bennett might be a productive player someday, he might not be, but his terrible rookie year likely lowered his value. If Minnesota throws in a 1st Rd pick with some protections, that should even it out more.

#60 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

Young can be a free agent after next year. I'd rather have Bennett if I were the Sixers or the Wolves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=