98 replies to this topic

#41 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:46 AM

Wow big news!

Here's a graphic of the proposed changes. It includes moving outdoor fields next to Cole and renovating Ludwig: pic.twitter.com/HhXykRN6DL

Making Ludwig 10k seat stadium!

• BSLChrisStoner, Greg Pappas and BSLZackKiesel like this

#42 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:04 PM

Wow big news!

Here's a graphic of the proposed changes. It includes moving outdoor fields next to Cole and renovating Ludwig: pic.twitter.com/HhXykRN6DL

The football fan in me says: "Great, nice facilities for the football team."

The student in me says: "They're taking away more of our parking spots. Great..."

• JeremyStrain likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#43 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:17 PM

Wow big news!

Aaron Kasinitz @AaronKazreports

The student in me says: "They're taking away more of our parking spots. Great..."

They wouldn't care if there were only 10 parking spots. They want out of state tuition that lives on campus without a car. Its been like that since I was there. They crap on in state commuter students constantly.
@JeremyMStrain

#44 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:18 PM

First thing I thought was, "It's been a decade since I've been there, but don't they have a gigantic parking lot in that area?

So they lose parking. They lose the tennis courts. They lose the track in Ludwig, so I guess the men's and women's track and field are going to run at Eleanor Roosevelt or something.

But football!

@DJ_McCann

#45 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

I think the "Future Campus Development" tract of land (which is currently the soccer practice field) could become a parking garage.

No clue where they'll relocate the tennis courts. Personally, the biggest surprise to me is basically doubling the capacity at Ludwig.

#46 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:49 PM

IMS: Kevin Plank Expected to Give $25 Million for Terps' New Facility

http://maryland.247s...cility-33030034

6_3240188.jpg

#47 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:13 PM

Lot 1 getting smaller every day.

@JeremyMStrain

#48 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:28 PM

Lot 1 getting smaller every day.

They made up a jersey for the lot in its honor...

eddie-gaedel.jpg

@DJ_McCann

#49 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:43 PM

They made up a jersey for the lot in its honor...

eddie-gaedel.jpg

Pffft, that was when I was there, they are working on 1/32nd now.

They want out of state tuition with on campus students and no cars, so they really couldn't care less about parking for commuter students. Some things never change.

@JeremyMStrain

#50 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:08 PM

Pffft, that was when I was there, they are working on 1/32nd now.

They want out of state tuition with on campus students and no cars, so they really couldn't care less about parking for commuter students. Some things never change.

Guess they're banking on that light rail line eliminating the need for a lot of parking. Good luck with that.

#51 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,332 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:28 PM

Guess they're banking on that light rail line eliminating the need for a lot of parking. Good luck with that.

Don't want this to get political, but Governor-elect Larry Hogan is against the Purple Line, so any alternate transportation would likely have to be taken care of by the University itself.

Around here, most students hate DOTS as much as Duke.

@BSLZackKiesel

#52 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

Regents’ committee endorses Maryland’s $155M plan to convert old Cole Field House into practice facility and academic research complex.

#53 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

Jeff Barker @sunjeffbarker

Regents’ committee endorses Maryland’s $155M plan to convert old Cole Field House into practice facility and academic research complex.

So if I'm not mistaken, it has to go before the entire Board of Regents now for a vote. But with committee approval that is probably a formality. And once that happens, we can probably expect much more details on the project from the university. I'll look forward to that. I'm intrigued about incorporating an entrepreneurial incubator in the plan....never know who among the student body has an idea that could be the next Under Armour.

As for the building itself, I still preferred the first plan to locate the facility at the practice fields and relocating Shipley. And while I'm sure the locker rooms will still be utilized for football emptying Gossett, which got a few million worth of renovations just a few years ago, doesn't make much sense....except maybe if you can put lacrosse offices there, but what other sport uses Byrd?

Last of all, while Cole was underutilized, knowing it won't be around in its original form any longer is a bit of a bummer too.

#54 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

So if I'm not mistaken, it has to go before the entire Board of Regents now for a vote. But with committee approval that is probably a formality. And once that happens, we can probably expect much more details on the project from the university. I'll look forward to that. I'm intrigued about incorporating an entrepreneurial incubator in the plan....never know who among the student body has an idea that could be the next Under Armour.

As for the building itself, I still preferred the first plan to locate the facility at the practice fields and relocating Shipley. And while I'm sure the locker rooms will still be utilized for football emptying Gossett, which got a few million worth of renovations just a few years ago, doesn't make much sense....except maybe if you can put lacrosse offices there, but what other sport uses Byrd?

Last of all, while Cole was underutilized, knowing it won't be around in its original form any longer is a bit of a bummer too.

And Squarespace, and Oculus VR, etc etc...

Someone (maybe a poster on Testudo Times, maybe Plank.. can't find it now) had a great line...  Oregon showed off their barber shop, this entrepreneurial incubator could be a big selling point to players.  Regardless, I like the out-of-the-box thinking.

Have to figure if Cole was not getting this rebirth, it would eventually get knocked down. Seems better than that alternative.

The point about the Gossett renovations are fair. Interested to see what happens with that.

When we first heard about CFH being used, I was lukewarm.  Based on the scope we are hearing, I'm in-favor of it.

It sounds like MD is going real big here. For comparison,  I know it's been mentioned Clemson's facility was $10M.

• BSLMikeLowe and Greg Pappas like this

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,392 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

And Squarespace, and Oculus VR, etc etc...
Someone (maybe a poster on Testudo Times, maybe Plank.. can't find it now) had a great line...  Oregon showed off their barber shop, this entrepreneurial incubator could be a big selling point to players.  Regardless, I like the out-of-the-box thinking.

Have to figure if Cole was not getting this rebirth, it would eventually get knocked down. Seems better than that alternative.
The point about the Gossett renovations are fair. Interested to see what happens with that.

When we first heard about CFH being used, I was lukewarm.  Based on the scope we are hearing, I'm in-favor of it.
It sounds like MD is going real big here. For comparison,  I know it's been mentioned Clemson's facility was $10M.

[geekdom]

I took a class on Coursera taught at UM on entrepreneurship. I'm betting the prof is pretty psyched about this.

[/geekdom]

Not to get too far off topic, but about the barber shop comment....it might sound silly to someone thinking in terms of College Park, but when you are trying to recruit a 17-18 y/o African-American male to come to Eugene, OR (read: pretty much all white) having a barber shop on campus with someone who knows how to cut hair is kind of a big deal.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

#56 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

http://colefieldhouse.umd.edu/

• BSLChrisStoner and Greg Pappas like this

#57 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:12 AM

http://colefieldhouse.umd.edu/

That's awesome...  it's exciting see MD going for the home run.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#58 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:17 AM

A lot of history at Cole, but I think this is a great idea. Its not like they are tearing it down or turning it into dorms or something. At least sports will continue to have a tie in with it.

Hopefully it leads to bigger success and the next step for a succesful team could be adding a second deck that wraps around the student section endzone to Byrd. A 50K capacity is weak for Big Ten football.
@BSLMikeRandall

#59 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:32 AM

A lot of history at Cole, but I think this is a great idea. Its not like they are tearing it down or turning it into dorms or something. At least sports will continue to have a tie in with it.

Hopefully it leads to bigger success and the next step for a succesful team could be adding a second deck that wraps around the student section endzone to Byrd. A 50K capacity is weak for Big Ten football.

I could see that way down the road - if/when - you've become a consistent winner.  The next step imo is consistently selling out what you have and creating demand.

There is enough talent within 2 hours of College Park to be a consistent Top 25 team if you retain the home (Baltimore, DC, NOVA, Southern PA) talent. The vision and scope of this project is so profound, that MD will now be far better positioned to do that.

Just a huge development for MD.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#60 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:47 AM

I could see that way down the road - if/when - you've become a consistent winner.  The next step imo is consistently selling out what you have and creating demand.

There is enough talent within 2 hours of College Park to be a consistent Top 25 team if you retain the home (Baltimore, DC, NOVA, Southern PA) talent. The vision and scope of this project is so profound, that MD will now be far better positioned to do that.

Just a huge development for MD.

Totally agree... this should be a real game-changer. I'm so excited... and believe that we need a new, dynamic head coach to put the finishing touch on this remarkable endeavor.

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=